Author Topic: Neutral where 4th gear should be?  (Read 4889 times)

PAndy

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 08:42:18 pm
Thanks for all the responses, I'm at ~200 miles now and it's still occuring, possibly more.

I've adjusted shifting a bit but it was no help, I'm gonna try releasing the clutch while I'm still holding the shifter up and see if that help.  I've been riding with steel tips to and from work so I think I've been putting plenty of force into the shift.

I guess I'll just keep trying and see what happens after more time.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 09:53:39 pm
If it's any consolation, I still do it at least once a day - probably because my revs are off.

If you're comfortable with clutchless shifting, it NEVER misses when you shift that way.  I find it difficult without a tachometer, though.

2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

SimonT

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 11:18:11 pm
hey mate...
it does get better... i was so frustrated when i first bought mine for this reason...

now it rarely happens. you learn how to shift the way the bike likes and it also loosens up a lot during break in...

one tip which fox said... when shifting, keep the shifter up while you disengage the clutch. if it didnt get into gear when you shifted, you can hear it click in.

i did a bad one this morning... trying to take off from the lights quickly.. somehow i missed 3rd altogether. got a false neutral between 2nd and 3rd.... attempted to shift again and went straight to 4th....  was a bit embarrassing.  :-[

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 11:23:17 pm
If not already mentioned, you can preload the gear shif with a little pressure before you pull in the clutch.  Also, what oil are you using?  Some trannies get much smoohter with a moto specific full synth oil.

Scott

PAndy

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 02:50:42 am
Just got done with an afternoon coast highway ride and finally had a chance to try out holding the shifter up as I released the clutch.  It took a little time to learn how to shift this way but I haven't missed a gear yet and I was shifting alot.  Very happy with the bike now.

Not sure what brand of oil is in there, still original dealer oil (only 250 miles) but it's full synthetic.

Thanks for all the help.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 03:13:54 am
I second Scotty's recommendation on synthetic oil. I changed to Amsoil 20W-50 at 300 miles and the difference in shifting was amazing. Second oil change at 600 miles plus additional breaking in completely cured this minor issue.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome