Author Topic: Overheating?  (Read 4995 times)

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 20, 2008, 02:26:52 pm
Hi Everyone,

In a thread about two weeks ago (sorry, can't find it) a few people mentioned the need to stop and cool the bike once in a while during long trips. Once I get my Bullet Classic and break it in, I'm planning on doing trips to Ithaca NY once a Summer (about 250 miles each way) and also some other rides about 100 miles each way.

Can the Classic handle this at 45-50 mph on country routes and back roads?

Thanks,

Jeff

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 03:16:54 pm
Break-in period is all about varying the speed to bed-in components (piston/rings and the like), not labouring the engine and doing shortish runs without overheating the ol' girl.
If you do  short runs and then pull straight over don't forget that the heat soak due to a now static engine with no cooling air travelling over the fins can be greater than just running her in gently!!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 03:48:58 pm
Jdrouin, Lotus is absolutely right. I have an 03 Classic. After break in (1500 miles). I took her on several  200 plus mile rides at an indicated 45-60 mph (speedo is about 5 mph on the plus side). Some stretches were for 3 hrs at 40 to 55 mph.  The air temp was usually in the low to mid 80's. I did stop for nature calls and gas. I had no problems with overheating. The oil I use  in the motor, since break in ,is Castrol Syntec. I' ve not done any temp comparisons between synthetics and standard oils, but I've read that the synthetics tend to run cooler. Have fun on your trips and enjoy the Bullet. Cochi

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 04:43:16 pm
super important to run the bike initially for not much more than 30min at a time since the tolerances are very tight and will generate a lot more friction heat at first. Let your new bike cool off completely before running again. It is a long process since we are talking low speed AND short run time but the time and attention you put in now may equate to more enjoyment you get out of your bike later.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 05:26:36 pm
You have learned your lessons well, young Skywalker.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 07:18:09 pm
Oh, no worries about break in. I'm going to take a long time to do it right because I plan on giving that bike a long, healthy life. And I wouldn't think of a long trip to Ithaca until it has at least 1,500 miles or so on the odometer, maybe even more. Since I live in a city with slow traffic and some areas that have long-ish stretches, I think the environment would be fine for breaking in a Bullet with short runs at varying speeds.

My question was about long trips on a properly broken-in machine. I just wanted to make sure that it was doable as long as I stay within the machine's design parameters.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Jeff

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 07:47:00 pm
Jeff.
Oh I see. I reckon it'll be your rear end that gives up first on 250 mile journeys!!! I am just a weekend 'fun' rider, but do about 100-150 miles usually on a Saturday and find that enough for me although I think the dual saddle was more comfy than the single one I have now fitted but maybe that's just my shape eh?
Good luck with the break-in period.

Ducati 916 'L' twin

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 01:50:28 am
Just remember that it gets pretty hot in India and there are thousands of Bullets over that that run in city traffic all day long with no problems.  Out on the road running 50-55 your bike will still be running when you are ready for a shade tree and a cool one.

My question was about long trips on a properly broken-in machine. I just wanted to make sure that it was doable as long as I stay within the machine's design parameters.
Jeff
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 05:41:56 am
  JD, I can see why you want to ride to Ithaca. I live in Puyallup, Wa, but my son attends Ithaca College.Couple of years ago my wife and I flew back for about 4 days for a visit and to see the college and the area.Beautiful area! I just kept thinking what a great place to ride!Of course it was in October, so it was a might cold.Great town and very scenic area of the country.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 06:55:46 am
I'm thinking of a long ride to Ithaca N.Y. right now. Ha HA Ha! Of course only after I have broke in properly. West coast to East coast. Just kidding. Or am I? The more I think about it nothing is impossible and I do have lots of vacation time..... Has anyone ever attempted something like this before I wonder. I am just thinking out loud here and I know most everyone would say impossible but just think! Ship the bike back of course, this ain't mountain climbing where getting back down is more important than gettin up. Discuss!   

Emmet

• Tampa Bay Piper
  • Scooter
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 01:26:59 pm
...a few people mentioned the need to stop and cool the bike once in a while during long trips....I'm planning on doing trips to Ithaca NY once a Summer (about 250 miles each way) and also some other rides about 100 miles each way.

I've read somewhere that at 40 MPH or so, the Bullet engine looses as much heat to radiation and convection as it generates. I've also read that it'll run a tad cooler running rich (which it does seem to prefer) and running synthetic oil (which I use).

As for me, a 60 or 75 mile day is about all my bum wants to handle on my solo saddle (less for my wife on the pillion pad), and that's with occasional stops for Guinness or crab claws, shrimp or oysters.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 01:43:49 pm

As for me, a 60 or 75 mile day is about all my bum wants to handle on my solo saddle and that's with occasional stops for crab claws.

Can't you get some ointment from the doctor for that these days?  ::)

Ducati 916 'L' twin

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 04:01:55 pm
Hi Everyone,
In a thread about two weeks ago (sorry, can't find it) a few people mentioned the need to stop and cool the bike once in a while during long trips. Once I get my Bullet Classic and break it in, I'm planning on doing trips to Ithaca NY once a Summer (about 250 miles each way) and also some other rides about 100 miles each way.
Thanks,
Jeff

Last year I took a 1,633 mile trip on mine. Did it in approximately 3 12hr days of riding time (day and a half down and a day and a half back). The only time I stopped to let it cool down was every 100 miles I stopped to fill it up with gas. And then off I went again. My average speed was between 60emph and 65emph. About half of it was 55 to 60 degrees and raining and the other half was 75 to 80 degrees and sunny.

So to answer your question, a 100 mile ride will almost get your bikes oil up to temp, and a 250 mile ride will almost get your butt broke in to the saddle.

Take a small bottle of Gold Bond and an extra qt of oil and enjoy the ride!
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 06:21:08 pm
"Anti-Monkey Butt" cream also works well  ;)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 01:04:13 am
"Anti-Monkey Butt" cream also works well  ;)

Another suggestion would be to get a sheepskin pad, a bead pad and a gel pad. And alternate between em.
And some highway pegs if your legs are long.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"