Author Topic: Spark Plugs - Projected, Non Projected, Dual electrode  (Read 20681 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #30 on: June 11, 2011, 03:14:31 am
I'm sure that the ceramic center electrode support is what he is speaking of and yes, a very light tan to a darker tan is good.

Before installing the NGK plug in my bike I had noticed not only some stalling at stop lights but while just cruising along at 45 mph there would be a mis-fire that lasted maybe 1/2 - 3/4 of a second.  This was happening about every 1/2 mile.
After replacing the plug I have never had another mis-fire like that. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #31 on: June 11, 2011, 06:18:12 am
Ok thanks.. Looks like I'll have to try one of these plugs too! Any negatives on the swap?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #32 on: June 11, 2011, 07:11:37 am
As I recall, the NGK BPR6ES came gapped at .030 rather than the .028 recommended in the UCE manual.  No problem as this NGK plug has an easily bent electrode.
It also has a screw on cap that I removed to allow it to mate with the existing high tension wire.

You probably already know it is a good thing to apply some dielectric grease to the ceramic insulator above the steel body and some anti-seize on the plugs threads is highly recommended.  Don't get this anti-seize on the gasketed surface as it does not conduct electricity well.

As I recall, the torque for the spark plug is 20 lb/ft.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #33 on: June 11, 2011, 08:10:50 am
@ Sub - Yes that's what I meant. And the electrode.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #34 on: July 01, 2011, 03:16:06 pm
FWIW, I changed to a NGK BPR6ES and many of the hiccuping and off-on throttle quibbles are gone.. Its definitely a noticeable improvement on my bike (air intake and efi exhaust). The bike also feels a bit smoother, and maybe even a bit quicker, although at the HP of this bike, who can really tell. :)

Here is my old plug, does it look ok? I'm including two pics because its hard to capture the tip color.. its light in color.. maybe a shade towards brown/gray. Am I a bit lean?

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #35 on: July 01, 2011, 04:57:01 pm
Looks lean to me. Of course with the air box mod youve made with the exhaust you were running, would be suprised if you werent a little lean. I will be looking forward to seeing the NGK after 300 miles or so, glad to hear your having the same good results with them that I and most who installed them are experencing.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #36 on: July 01, 2011, 06:04:09 pm
Looks lean to me. Of course with the air box mod youve made with the exhaust you were running, would be suprised if you werent a little lean. I will be looking forward to seeing the NGK after 300 miles or so, glad to hear your having the same good results with them that I and most who installed them are experencing.

+1

A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: July 01, 2011, 06:28:47 pm
... Of course the ULTIMATE plug would be a surface gap one ..... 

Do they still make those things. They worked pretty miserably in anything I ever saw them in. '70s Kawasakis, specifically. They always struck me that they were too cold. The Kwackers ran much better on conventional plugs.
The reason airplanes use dual electrode plugs is because the comparatively low voltage of the circa 1920 magneto ignition. They won't knock off minor soot-type fouling, so they have to bypass it...hopefully. Any modern EFI ignition supplies much more voltage that can blow past minor fouling attempts in the cylinder.
P.Schraub...Haven't you ever had to clear a fouled plug in your Cessna One-Filthy?
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com