Author Topic: Spark Plugs - Projected, Non Projected, Dual electrode  (Read 20677 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 12:38:05 am
A few days ago I mentioned on the forum that when I was riding my new G5 at a smooth 45 mph occasionally the engine would mis-fire, like it suddenly wasn't getting a spark.  Nothing serious but an annoyance to say the least.

Another member said it was the Indian spark plug the bike comes with so with this in mind I did some digging.

Several posts mentioned the NGK BPR6ES plug so I went to my local auto supply and they had some of them.

After gapping it to .028 I installed it using my torque wrench set to 20 ft/lbs.

Today I rode the same route that I rode when I noticed the misfire and it ran perfectly.
In addition, the falling idle speed and dieing at a stop light has disappeared.  If anything the new idle speed is fast enough to make me think about adjusting it down a bit.
So far I'm a happy biker.  :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:41:32 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 01:32:48 am
Great choice. I saw the same improvements when I went from OEM to NGK plugs.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 08:10:45 am
  + 1
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 03:21:50 am

Scroll to the right to see the OEM (rich mix) plug.

I installed the NGK BPR6ES today.  With a little grease on the threads it hand tightened smooth as can be.  The OEM Bosch R6 plug was rough to get out with ratchet and plug socket.  

The black Bosch tip verifies what the dyno test read regarding the air/fuel mixture.  Would a hotter plug be a better thing to have in there?

A ride to the dealer and around the area seemed to verify what Arizoni said about the idle being a little higher and not prone to have the motor stall.  At $3 a pop, I could change the plug more frequently.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 03:31:33 am by prof_stack »
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 03:26:28 am
I've been running that plug for quite a while now, it does very good for me. Get a tube of anti seize compound for your threads it's good stuff.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 05:17:53 am
Has anyone done dyno tests between the plugs discussed here?

I'm tempted to try the ngk plug because I did have some running issues when I had my free flowing exhaust on from nfield (which Enfield says should have worked fine). I blamed it on the exhaust and a narrow ECU tuning range, but hey, maybe it was the plug!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 06:09:04 am

I installed the NGK BPR6ES today.  With a little grease on the threads it hand tightened smooth as can be.  The OEM Bosch R6 plug was rough to get out with ratchet and plug socket. 

The black Bosch tip verifies what the dyno test read regarding the air/fuel mixture.  Would a hotter plug be a better thing to have in there?

Some greases tend to cook off at temperatures around 250 degree F while some of the special wheel bearing greases can go up to 380 degrees F. 
The spark plug in an air cooled engine gets hotter than 250 degrees.
 Without knowing exactly which grease you used you could be fine or the grease might cause a removal problem.
The Anti-Seize stuff is good to higher temperatures and it doesn't cost a lot.  Next time you buy a spark plug you might want to get a small tube if it.
A little goes a loooooong way.

When your applying Anti-Sieze apply it to the threads only.  You want a bare metal to metal contact between the spark plug, the gasket and the cylinder head.

As for the Dyno test, your engine was running at max power and although I have no idea what the computer mapping on a RE is, max power usually requires rich mixtures so I would guess that is what your bike was getting during the test.

Unless you plan on running your bike at its limits I would hold off on getting a hotter spark plug.
Run the new plug for a while and then check its color.  I'm betting it's just about right for daily riding.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 02:15:40 am
Thanks for the tip.  I bought some anti-seize stuff today along with another new plug for whenever I change it next.  After 110 miles it is starting to get some rich blackness around the sides but okay in the middle.  Check out the photo.  See what you think.  On the right is the OEM Bosch.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 08:07:09 am
My plug gets black like that round the rim and the first couple of threads, so do the plugs on the other bike. I'm told by those who seem to know that this is fine as long as the business part is a nice tan colour, which it is.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 07:39:32 pm
I get the same.  Black on the ring, tip and electrode are tan.  All good.

At 6000 miles I just swapped to an NGK BPR6EIX gapped to 0.7mm.  Only one ride to work on it so far, seems about the same to me as the OEM Bosch plug.  I'll keep y'all posted.  Even if it's no better or worse, nice to have alternatives.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 07:53:38 pm
I noticed a real difference when I fitted that plug last year - much better starting, hot & cold. I also thought the engine ran smoother generally, and certainly idled better.
I've since replaced the standard NGK plugs in the Kawa with Iridiums, but can't say I've noticed any difference.
Could be the stock plug in the Enfield was dodgy......
NGK  -  good plugs.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 09:52:55 pm
Feels about the same to me so maybe your original plug was dodgey.  I'll report more after it's been in a while.

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 11:30:35 pm
Feels about the same to me so maybe your original plug was dodgey.  I'll report more after it's been in a while.  Scott

The only thing I noticed so far is a more consistent idle with none of the trailing off and stalling stff at a traffic light I was used to with the OEM plug.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 01:57:32 am
My plug gets black like that round the rim and the first couple of threads, so do the plugs on the other bike. I'm told by those who seem to know that this is fine as long as the business part is a nice tan colour, which it is.
Will, you mean the white part in the middle? I heard it should be a nice light to medium tan color.