Author Topic: The Silver Bullet gets weighed and goes for test run  (Read 6347 times)

Mitch

• Scooter
Hey All,

Just got my Siler Bullet (06 Electra Cafe) back with the lastest mods the other day.  Thought traffic would be light and thought I would test her out on Mothers Day.  Rain letting up and roadways starting to dry up.

First went up and down West Valley Hwy (Speed Limit 50) Bike running good and sounding good.  Then went over to East Valley Hwy (Speed Limit 40) went to Ernies Truck Stop to have the bike weighed.  Came in at 360.  The book says 412 so I shaved off 52 lbs. 

Then went to I-5, got on at 212th street and off at the next exit  84th street. Then go up East Valley and get on I-5 again.  Did this three times.

The first time cars are in the way didn't even get up to 5th gear.  Second time up to 5th gear but still cars... where are all these cars going?  Third time traffic light and I am in 5th gear by the time I leave the entrance ramp.  Winding up the bike and its sound good... still traffic ahead.  So I did not have full thottle very long, just a few second... Speedo is in km showing... 115kmh so that's about 71mph.

Boneville here I come... I do not plan to break any records, but just want to wind it up.

Mitch

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 09:22:34 pm
Mine is stock, and I've gotten up to 78mph (indicated) in a burst with the wind on my side and laying twords the petrol tank..
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Mitch

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 12:12:00 am
To All,

Okay, well Im still running in the engine on mine. I only have about 1500 miles on the engine. The sun is shinning now and I took the bike out again and easily got up to 125kmh.  Let's see that translates to 77.8mph.  Pretty close to your 78 mph mark.  I still had some thottle left and I'm running the stock carb.  I have the 30mm flat side I plan to run at Bonneville.  My speedo goes up to 160kmh that's about 100mph.  I'm not expecting to max out, but hoping somewhere over 85mph.  I am running a running on a stock frame and stock engine.  The guys who got records at Bonneville were in a Modified class.  I plan to stay in the Production Class.

Mitch

PS I was on SR167 before not I-5 as is stated... my mistake.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 01:27:16 am
Seems the engine breaks in till 3000 miles(4900 kms). At lest it seems to run even smoother up to that.
Most of my riding is between 35-55 mph (55-90 kph). No need for me to hop up the engine (yet).

Mitch, I imagine that your cafe will be able to active a blistering speed when your ready.
Be careful out there.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 03:23:45 am
Mine seemed like it was still smoothing out at 5K miles.  I was consistantly astonished that it seemed to keep improving. 
Run what ya brung

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 02:46:46 pm
1400 mi on mine and fourth gear is starting to really smooth out.  fifth was always creamy, but fourth was vibration central until just recently.  Congrats on the cafe!

Mitch

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 04:29:02 pm
All,

Thanks for the feed back.  The Silver Bullet is one of 3 Enfields I have.  The other Electra has sidecar and I rarely see 50mph.  The other I have is a Military Iron Barrel and I just barely touch 60mph.  Soooo 75+ seems very quick to me and it is noticbly lighter than my other 2.  It is in the configuation now... with the carb swap out, that I plan to run at Bonneville.  I plan to get more miles on it at normal speeds 40 to 50 mph.  I have a 10 mile trip back and forth each day and now the sun is starting to come out here in Seattle.

I hope to have 3 thousand miles on the engine by the time I get to Utah. Plan to "Run Whatcha Brung" and also see what class I would be in if I would run for a record.

When I get more miles on it I plan to run it on SR167 some more.  I'll back up one more exit and its 2 miles to the 212th street exit, then another mile to 84th street.  That will be my practice for the Salt.  But I plan to stay with traffic and NOT do a total out speed run in traffic.

Mitch

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 04:33:51 pm
Mitch,

Could you post a pic of your cafe

Mitch

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 03:10:26 am
Thanks for the interest.

The thumbnail pic is the bike I am talking about.  Actually, my concept was a speed trials bike, but everyone calls it a cafe.  Guy Coover in Reno put it together for me in its first configuation.  It was born as a metallic green electra that I bought used.  Got some aluminum fenders, Coninental Seat, Fork Top Yoke with Lucas Head lamp and fly screen Dunstall Exhaust.  Of course I took off tool boxes and side covers and Guy cut out some aluminum side panels that I plan to use as the number boards.

Ive made some more mods since then and I plan to keep it a work in progress.  After I get my assigned number I will decorate and take some more pics and post.

Mitch

Mitch

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 07:59:01 pm
It's been a long time coming, but I have not posted pictures before.  Now I know how.  I went to my VME (Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiasts) meeting last night in Seattle, WA.  I was supprized when some guy asked to pull my bike out of the line up so he could take a video of it.  I said "SURE" he asked if it would be okay to post it on YouTube, I said "COOL".  I will give you the link when he edits the video and posts... anyway here is a still shot of the "Silver Bullet"

Mitch

PS She went over 80mph on the Salt last year... I know, your'e saying my bike can do that.  Well for all of you who say that, I'll see you on the Salt.  No downhill... No wind... 4500 feet of elevation... ON SALT! After you beat my score we'll talk... This years goal is 85MPH!  I plan to continue with mods and continue to run until I get the TON!!!

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 09:05:00 pm
What a BEAUTY! Why don't you try a bigger carb? maybe 'S' cams?louder exhaust?

Mitch

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 11:15:04 pm
Thank You for the compliment, and I want to extend my thanks to all those who worked on this bike.  Guy In Reno NV, the mechanics at Ducatti of Seattle, Jim in Salem OR, and to my RE dealer Vince, in Lacey WA.

I have a 30mm Flat side Carb on there now.  I had issuse with this last year and had to run with the stock carb.  The bike here is street ready, I plan to run a Velocity Stack on the 30mm, and I will take out the baffles in the exhaust when I am running on the Salt.  S cams are planned for future if they are produced again, and Rear Sets are coming soon, but may not be ready this year.  I am keeping it at 500 cc, for now.

Thanks go out to my RE buddies Mike, Bill and the late Don Strickler.

Speed Week is the last week in August... See you there... Mitch
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:54:08 pm by Mitch »

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 09:29:15 pm
Thats a beautiful bike right there Mitch. Good luck to you in your endeavors. Is that clubman/cafe seat from CMW.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 02:08:57 am
Bike looks nice. Good luck on the salt... go real fast.

Where do you think the big savings were on the weight shaving? Or just a bit here and there adding up? That's great.

Boggy
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Adrian

Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 10:47:29 pm
Mitch,

I can just see your Electra with a semi swept-back downpipe, and a 20 degree upswept bend leading to a Supertrapp stainless muffler, as well as a set of flat-tracker bars, oh yes! But what do I know?

Any decent old Brit 500 push-rod single could be made to do 85 without too much work, your Electra will just about manage that (maybe a little more) before AVL cam valve bounce sets in!  Hint: try late Indian cast iron classic Bullet cams until Bullet Whisperer gets a new batch of "S" cams made, just remember to check valve to piston clearance, you might need to cut a valve pocket or two! I'm running a mix of AVL inlet and Indian classic Bullet exhaust cams, not as good as the "S", but still an improvement.

Regards,
Adrian