Author Topic: 2009 G5 Deluxe or 2011 G5 Deluxe?  (Read 5906 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
on: May 07, 2011, 09:21:33 pm
Hi folks.  :)
I'm new to the Forum but not to riding motorcycles and I recently became interested in buying a Royal Enfield.

After visiting my local dealer, who is about 3 miles from my home I find that he only has one "new" Enfield in his store and it is a 2009 G5 Deluxe.
He doesn't have any other new or used Enfields at this time.

I've read here on the Forum that Enfield is responsive to design problems and incorporates the "fixes" on their currently made machines that are on the assembly line so this brings up my question:
Has Enfield made any mechanical improvements to the motorcycles sense 2009?

I would like my new bike to be as up to date as possible although buying this 2009 would be less expensive than a 2011.

I was also told that if I order a 2011 it might take some time for it to arrive because the shipment of these bikes hasn't reached the main distributing warehouse yet.
When I heard this I asked about the 2010 shipment but they said those have been shipped out to dealers already so they couldn't sell me one of them.

Any help you guys can give will be appreciated. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 09:51:01 pm
Hi Arizoni and welcome aboard.

'09 G5 in stock ?? Lucky You !!

AFAIK other than the one piece oil filer top assembly and a new air filter cover plastic thing there isn't a nickles worth of difference between an '09 an '11

If a body wants to update to the new filter top and plastic thingy they are a drop on.

There is also a D.I.Y. mod that turns the old style three piece oil filter top into a one piece.

One thing I love about RE is they don't make a bunch of changes just for the sake of change or to convince people to buy the newest latest thing-a-ma-jig.

When something works they stick with it.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 10:00:11 pm by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 11:21:41 pm
Waiting sucks, get the 09  :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 11:38:10 pm
I would like my new bike to be as up to date as possible ....
  :o ;D :o :D :o ;D :o

Welcome aboard Arizon-i-a
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 11:53:30 pm

AFAIK other than the one piece oil filer top assembly and a new air filter cover plastic thing there isn't a nickles worth of difference between an '09 an '11

What about the sprag clutch? Do they only give you the uprated one if the original fails or are they fitting it as standard now?

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 12:47:19 am
The new UCE engine in 2009 and up was designed with a good sprag.

Again, 09 vs 11 might boil down to paint color preference.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 01:54:01 am by REpozer »

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 01:43:54 am
 If it's a 2009, check to see if it had the 3rd gear fix and if so, who did it. Is this Vince's?
The new G-5s will have the C-5 tail light and valve covers. The 2009's up to a certain point, had nice boxy valve covers but an ugly brick for a tail light at a stupid angle to boot. I'll PM pictures of mine with modified tail light but the valve covers.The newer one will also have the C-5 right side style engine cover. B-5 maybe?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 01:59:58 pm
If it's a 2009, check to see if it had the 3rd gear fix and if so, who did it. Is this Vince's?
The new G-5s will have the C-5 tail light and valve covers. The 2009's up to a certain point, had nice boxy valve covers but an ugly brick for a tail light at a stupid angle to boot. I'll PM pictures of mine with modified tail light but the valve covers.The newer one will also have the C-5 right side style engine cover. B-5 maybe?

Sprag clutch?  You've got a kick start if it fails and it's under warranty.  There have been very few failures on the new bikes anyway.  You should get the airbox retrofit for free.

The only substantive difference would be the transmission rework if it was needed and the minor styling points mentioned, which would make it even cooler since even other REs won't have your tail light.  I'd say relax and get the 2009 and save the money.  Deluxes tend to move fast anyway, get one while you can.

Welcome aboard!

Scott

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 02:41:41 pm
The airbox retrofit only applies to the C5. The G5 had a good sealed airbox from the beginning.

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 03:59:46 pm
I happen to like my boxy, stupid-angle tail light :D

The oil filter cap, however, has got to go. Cause of much heartbreak and cursing.
2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 08:32:13 pm
The new UCE engine in 2009 and up was designed with a good sprag.

Again, 09 vs 11 might boil down to paint color preference.

If you've had no problems with it you'll think it's good. If you had it replaced under warranty twice within 6,000m like I did you won't. Either way, the fact is they say they are now replacing failures with a uprated one with stronger bearings so my question stands: is the new one now fitted as standard?

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 09:26:44 pm
Yes indeed, Clubman.

I still have the original sprag on my AVL.But am very carefull with it.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 05:44:45 am
I thank all of you for your helpful comments.

Today I contacted my dealer to find out if there were any 2011 G5 Deluxe's available from the ware houses and was told that only  one was available in the US.  There also seems to be few if any G5 Classics in British Racing Green.

Armed with that information I ordered the Deluxe.

I was told that it is a California bike which costs more but the freight would be less so it all worked out about the same.

When I heard it was a California bike I asked if they had detuned it or changed the ECU map and was told the only difference is it has a charcoal canister for emissions.  Hopefully this turns out to be true .

I was told that the bike will be here on Friday and giving them a day to check it out and get it roadworthy I should have it by next Tuesday.

Before a jerk changed lanes into me when I was riding my BMW K75 9 years ago I had ridden for over 34 years without a problem.
 After not riding for 9 years I feel a bit intimidated but hopefully with all of the low speed riding I'll have to do to break the new bike in I'll be back in form.

At the moment, I also have that sort of hollow feeling that one gets after putting a large chunk of non-refundable cash down.  By next Tuesday I'm hoping that feeling will have gone away.

Thanks again.
Jim
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 05:58:21 am
Its a good bike to get back in the game with .

I gave up enduro riding and took a 15 year break.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 09:40:01 am
I happen to like my boxy, stupid-angle tail light :D

The oil filter cap, however, has got to go. Cause of much heartbreak and cursing.

Before the factory adopted the concept some one did a mod  to make the cap a one piece affair. You might search the threads.

That or, Part No.s  Z91501 or  Z91502 will get you the one you want.  priced at $33.95
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/e-z-oil-cap-uce.html
No matter where you go, there, you are.