Author Topic: What size Avon AM 26 tire...  (Read 2773 times)

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
on: May 08, 2011, 01:04:55 am
For a G5?  No really, I do not like the stockers that are on here.  No all you C5 guys they are not the same as you lucky devils.  The front tire might at well be a Connect Four chip especially when tracking over road grooves. 

So, like I said, what Size Avon AM26.  I know 19" but what ratio wierdness should it be?

Thanks ahead of time,

Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 01:50:42 am
 Sam, I'm running a 90/90-19, on the front of my c-5. Still  have the 18 in the back.  Check the Avon chart for your  rear rim size. It should be stamped on it some where. Just  cross ref. on the  chart. It's a Good tire for our  area.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 01:52:49 am
   I don't get why you would want AM26's. How much air pressure are you running? I run @24 in front, 26 rear and the bike handles great over grooved road. I use part of I-5 that was grooved and many grated bridges here in Seattle with no problems. Maybe it's a different squirrel tolerance!! I thought about getting the Am26'S but decided they'd ruin the look of our bikes and found the stock tires more than adequate. I just saw a cafe racer with them and it's a very racy modern look. To me. With a matte black bike, sure. But......

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 08:58:16 am
I too removed the stock Avon Sado-masochismeisters from my G5 and fitted the AM26 Road Riders. It was a revelation - no more tracking along grooved surfaces, and the bike just leans itself into the curves. Way better handling all round, wet or dry road, but stay well away from wet drain covers. white lines etc.
The specs on my invoice are -
90/90v19  front.
100/90v19 rear (universal)
I found a lot of variation in price, so worth shopping around for a deal.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 01:52:37 pm
Anyone know the stock rim widths on these bikes?

Scott

kauai1800

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 07:58:26 pm
Just installed some 19" AM26s bought from JP Cycles 90/90 front 100/90 rear and love them! Does transform the bike IMHO.
I personally don't think they do "ruin" the look of the bike unless you are really into making the bike look exactly like it's from the 60s (you can decide for yourself looking at my bike in Members Rides). Personally I like a bit of mashup between old school and new school.  I'd rather have the extra bit of grip, crisp turn-in and wet weather traction offered by the AM26s.
Have to give J&P some props too because they shipped em out here UPS 2 day air and it only cost me $35. But when I saw the large boxes they sent, I can tell you that they paid way more than $35 to ship them here...probably closer to $90!
'05 Royal Enfield Deluxe
'64 Volvo 1800S

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 08:43:15 pm
   I agree: the tires have little impact on the look of most G-5s. If anything, they might help.I never got why the C5 would come stock with AM26s.. Ragmas has a Military G-5 so the tires do make a difference. To me, if you want a classic bike with classic feel, the rocks go with the farm. You want a more modern handling bike, get one. Personally, I like the archaic feel of the ride of the older tires. I know what a modern sport bike feels like. When I put Perelli Diablo Rosas on my Aprilia, I had a familiar railroad track feel. My Michelin BattleAx had a rounded profile which I never liked. Oddly, the stock Avons on my G-5 reminded me of the Perellis.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:03:42 pm by jjoe256 »

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 09:22:41 pm
   I agree: the tires have little impact on the look of most Enfields. I never got why the C5 would come stock with AM26s.. Ragmas has a Military bike so the tires do make a difference. To me, if you want a classic bike with classic feel, the rocks go with the farm. You want a more modern handling bike, get one. Personally, I like the archaic feel of the ride of the older tires. I know what a modern sport bike feels like. I have an Enfield.

Truely spoken, br. joe. I, for one, would, however, love to improve this archaic feeling a bit, for example by eliminating the uneasiness of the stock rear Avon, caused by his sqare-shaped profile whenn beeing in slant. Just as well as getting rid of the stock front that basically follows every longitudinal groove.
The other Avon is probably not a bad choice. In Germany Heidenau-tires enjoy the reputation of beeing the best RE-tire, so I´ll try these next time. Unfortunately I have not link whatsoever for the US, so I´m afraid they are not available there.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 11:23:03 pm
There are many US dealers:

http://www.moto-amore.com/heidenau/new/dealersnew.html

I ride pretty hard, lean enough to grind the centerstand and rear brake, and I haven't experienced a square edge issue at @26psi.

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 11:53:33 pm
Well thanks guys for the info.  I just ordered a set.  We shall see how it all goes together in the end.
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 02:03:18 am
  Ragmas has a Military G-5 so the tires do make a difference. To me, if you want a classic bike with classic feel, the rocks go with the farm. You want a more modern handling bike, get one. Personally, I like the archaic feel of the ride of the older tires. I know what a modern sport bike feels like. When I put Perelli Diablo Rosas on my Aprilia, I had a familiar railroad track feel. My Michelin BattleAx had a rounded profile which I never liked. Oddly, the stock Avons on my G-5 reminded me of the Perellis.
Tisk ...tisk Joe... always the Conservative  :D ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.