Author Topic: B5 Oil change question  (Read 2192 times)

Raj V

• Scooter
on: May 05, 2011, 09:38:16 pm
Hi all,

My first oil change is coming up ... I need help:

1. Can I buy the oil-filter from local stores? What brand and size? I have ordered two from NFieldGear. But, want it right now.
2. What are the sizes of the O-ring and gasket. The owner's manual makes no mention of these.

Thanks.

Raj.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:59:14 pm
Welcome to the forum.

Don't go by what I say but I did my first oil change without changing the filter.  Just wanted to change the oil and see what was in the screen.

;)
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 10:45:34 pm
I don't believe you can get the oil filter anywhere except from Enfield. You should be able to use the orings over but its good to have some on hand. Its important to change the filter at the first oil change, your motor is making a lot of metal now.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 11:59:34 pm
Gotta go with Motomataya on this one,. You'd be better off the changing filter without the oil at this point! But don't. The filter is probably full of crap, as when an engine is breaking in, they're scraping a lot of excess metal off. There's more junk in the filter than the oil.
I would venture to say you're not going to find any filters close to this one at an auto parts store. You could probably live without changing the Orings, they should survive a couple of changes without any problem. There are really only three in there, one for the cover, and one on each end of the filter. My mechanic didn't change the inner one. The way it's in there, I didn't see any problem with that. The early oil changes are the important ones, after the second change, they don't need to be nearly as often. I have my opinions about the frequency they have in the manual, but I'm not going to start an online battle here. Leave it to say, I have been a motorcycle (BSA, Triumph, Norton, etal) and aircraft mechanic (A&P/IA) for nearly 50 years and have a lot of experience with air cooled engines. If your so inclined you can take the old Orings down to an industrial or aircraft supply house and match them up, but I doubt you can save much,
but, it would be more convenient than having to mail order the stuff.
The bottom line is that oil changes are the number one priority in these engines for keeping them living a long life. Pain in the butt that it is, don't shirk this one!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 12:28:43 am
You can get a set with 5 filters and all o-rings from NField gear. I changed my oil and filter at 300 and 600 miles and it just seemed more cost effective to buy a 5 pack.  O-rings are easy to find at places like Ace Hardware.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 01:21:21 am
I'd imagine I'm not winning any friends by saying this, but if you do a search for part number 500613 on ebay, you can get them a lot cheaper. I bought 20 of them for $56 shipped, and they got here in a week. Given the 3000 mile interval, I'll probably be good for the next decade or so.
2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe