Author Topic: Three Solenoids  (Read 1127 times)

Philbomoog

• Bulleteer
on: May 05, 2011, 03:28:31 pm
After my little adventure last week I decided to replace my solenoid and did a bit of research on a well known auction site.
I liked the idea of the old style solenoid with the manual override.  Unfortunately when it arrived it was huge and I couldn't make it fit without having to make longer cables and drilling holes which was more than I wanted to do for what should be a simple job.

So back onto the interweb thingy and I bought a (£10)  'universal' solenoid which was listed as suitable for loads of different bikes so I thought I'd take a chance.

It arrived in the post today and looks very similar to the original. After a bit of chopping and soldering of connectors it slotted into place and worked as it should.

I need to buy a better camera but the original is on the left, the big beast is centre and the 'universal' is right.

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 06:17:10 pm
Do you have a brand/model number for the correct one? I've gone a year plus without electric start. Now the kick start locked up. Looks like it should be easier to fix the electric than the kick.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

Philbomoog

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 12:22:31 pm
Just checked it. There's no markings on the replacement except 12V. It looks almost identical to the original except for the connector, and was listed as a universal starter relay suitable for....(long list of bikes here). Took a chance and it works.

If in doubt, try a quick google search or take yours to a spares shop and ask the assistant for 'one of these'.