Author Topic: C5 Air Filter Cover Installation  (Read 9005 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
on: May 05, 2011, 12:44:30 am
The shop called yesterday to say the free air filter cover just came in, so I picked it up today and put it on.  In typical RE fashion, it was not a plug and play installation, but it wasn't too far off.

For those of you who have the air filter cover already, am I supposed to use the round plate or does this take the place of it?  The K&N filter is a little taller than OEM.

I went for a 5 mile ride and in that short bit the bike ran great, didn't backfire more than usual, and maybe a little less.

Still not made in China.  I like that.

The K&N filter that I've been testing.  I did not use the plate when the air filter cover went on.

Inside shot

Outside shot but the angle of the camera might give an optical illusion of the hole being outward instead of recessed inwared, which the next photo shows.

I did not put the plate on, but wonder if I should have.  It didn't want to fit.  Getting the air filter to stay in place was a pain.

Gratuitous photo showing the superior shine of C5 black.   :D
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 01:27:06 am
Yep, you need to use the round plate,  use a little grease to stick it in place on the filter, have fun, :D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 02:35:55 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 01:56:34 am
Yep, you need to use the round plate,  use a little grease to stick it in place in the filter, have fun, :D

Thanks for that, I think.  The OEM filter might have to go back on, if the plate is used. 

You do realize, of course, that this "fix" is just a band-aid.  A better design of the airbox is likely in the works now, due in 2014.   ;)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 02:35:16 am
Yeah, I didn't like the plastic cover so I did this, it cures all the problems. No unfiltered air can get to the engine.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 02:31:24 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 02:57:49 am
Yeah, I didn't like the plastic cover so I did this, it cures all the problems.

Looks very promising.  How about some details (or a link to a thread about it)? 

Thanks!

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 03:53:31 am
It goes on a lot easier if you replace the bolt on the lower surface of the metal box with a shorter bolt. Another option is to simply flip the nut and bolt so that the nut is outside the box. There is very little space between the OEM air filter and the bottom of the metal box, so it is very hard to fit this plastic insert without mangling the rubber gasket on the edge of the plastic insert. You definitely need the round metal cover over the filter otherwise there will be a big wide open area where air and dirt will essentially bypass the air filter.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 08:21:19 am
As already said you need the metal top plate.  Filter, plate, new cover, washer, nut.  If the K&N air filter is taller than the stock filter you will have a problem because the new cover won't contact the base surface and make a seal.  No harm but no better than without it.

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 01:36:36 pm
Looks very promising.  How about some details (or a link to a thread about it)?  

Thanks!
I stole the idea from Shappers, here's the link
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,8810.0.html
Iron Butt Association

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 02:00:52 pm
@ r80rt,

hi, do you recall the number of the k&n cone filter used on your bike.

surprisingly i tried my best to fit the old filter plate with the new plastic cover and was not able to do it. In my opinion without the plate, the filter would not seal completely toward the plastic cover side........! RE infact wanted back the old round metal plate stating it was not needed at all with the new cover in place.. however I did not return it immediately stating I would need it anyway. But as stated above. the plate does not fit in with the new plastic cover.

Would need suggestions please. !!!!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 02:04:49 pm by BRADEY »

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 02:34:20 pm
Bradey, I used K&N filter #RU-2580, and you are right, the metal plate has to be used with the plastic cover or it won't seal.  It's a pain in the neck to get it together and that's why I decided to follow Shappers lead and make an adapter to use the K&N pod in the air box.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 02:33:05 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 10:31:48 am
Bradey, I used K&N filter #RU-2580, and you are right, the metal plate has to be used with the plastic cover or it won't seal. It's a pain in the neck to get it together and that's why I decided to follow Shappers lead and make an adapter to use the K&N in the air box.

hi r80rt can you let me know whether you were able fit the round metal plate under the new plastic cover. because I am completely flummoxe and not able to fit the two.
I am certainly not happy using only the plastic cover as I feel it does not seal the filter from the other end.............any tricks, suggestion would be much appreciated.

whoguy

• Scooter
  • Hi... I love all things Beautiful...
Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 10:38:08 am
Hi all,

I didn't bother with any mods to the air filter box... I know it does let in dust round the edges of the lid.... All I did was two layers of black electrical tape around the air filter box to seal it nicely.

Opened it to check and I can safely say, it is absolutely dust free in there. Still looks good to boot.

Good luck.... Electrical tape only costs a few Aust. dollars.
To ride or not to ride... That is the question!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 12:57:12 pm
Yeah, I didn't like the plastic cover so I did this, it cures al the problems.

Damn!! Southern Brilliance at its finest! Really ........ that is the best, simplest solution ... Beat MY convoluted re-engineering on the deal ..... and now you can store stuff in there if need be .... clean stuff of course - Hahahaha!  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 01:41:59 pm
Thank ya sir, but I can't take credit for it, Shappers did it first and paved the way for us to follow. It didn't take long to make, couple of hours and now everything is sealed, I have a washable K&N filter that draws air from a big air box with a long tract to the injector. If there is a downside I can't find it. :D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 03:23:36 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 09:10:36 pm
Thank ya sir, but I can't take credit for it, Shappers did it first and paved the way for us to follow. It didn't take long to make, couple of hours and now everything is sealed, I have a washable K&N filter that draws air from a big air box with a long tract to the injector. If there is a downside I can't find it. :D

Me either ..... Brilliant!!  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!