Author Topic: C5 Air Filter Cover Installation  (Read 9003 times)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 10:24:48 pm
 I was really wondering what your thoughts on that little mod would be, I'm glad we agree that I stole a great idea from Shappers ;D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 12:48:40 am
I was really wondering what your thoughts on that little mod would be, I'm glad we agree that I stole a great idea from Shappers ;D

Yup - Gotta give the old boy credit on that one! Haha! MY re-Raj-ification was to keep the OEM filter and move the intake air duct to the inside of it - and put a screen in the resulting hole in the airbox ..... I wonder if THOSE parts will ever be found and used as intended. My guess is that someone is probably using the air duct to fill a mop bucket from the bathroom sink .......  ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 12:59:57 am
That is a good idea too, I thought about that untill I found this simple way to do it.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 03:22:21 am
 Great Job Dano' !.......Man, you can do all kinds of crazy things with air flow around them tool boxes.....using that Irish- Hillbilly engineering  :D ;)....excellent job. What did you use, a pipe flange, welded in ?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 03:53:05 pm
Ok, it was a high tech job all the way. I cut the base flange out of an old Square D electrical panel lid that was in the pile behind the shed, then the nipple was hacked off an old 2" antenna pole from the same pile of junk. I just eye balled the angle needed to get the filter to clear the lock, short side of nipple is 1/2 inch, long side is 1 1/2 inches. On my C5 the intake air tube is steel and attaches to the back ofthe box with screws. I made my base flange match the air tube flange, I did use slightly longer screws to mount it up. I scavenged the screws from an old Suzuki carb float bowl found hiding under the bench. I welded the two pieces together, shot it with black Krylon, and used some red silicone for a gasket. No, it ain't pretty. ;D
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 03:59:05 pm
OUTSTANDING !!!  Man I love it !    Use what you got..... ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 04:06:47 pm
Nothing to it really, just look it over, see what needs to be done put it together.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 04:13:20 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #22 on: May 08, 2011, 02:29:24 am
OP here.  Today I put the OEM filter back in, used some grease to hold the metal plate to it (thanks for the tip), and finally got the %&$@# air filter cover in place.  The protruding screw and nut on the bottom of the airbox made it a royal pain to get things in place. 

After that I took the C5 for a 15 mile jaunt on the highway in front of Seattle's waterfront and into West Seattle.  The backfires were less than usual, but still present.  The motor felt strangled and not willing to rev.

Back home I took the airbox cover off and removed the OEM filter.  I put the K&N air filter back in and didn't put the airbox cover on.  After securing the outer cover I rode the same route as before.  BIG difference!  The motor could breathe again and had more pull at all rpm's.  There were more pops and poots but with the performance increase, how could I care?  Besides, the shop is (hopefully) going to map the fuel/air and get a power commander working on it. 

I like the cone filter with welding that Shappers/r80rt did.  But I would rather have a K&N filter that properly fits in place of the OEM filter so that the airbox cover will properly seal the airbox. 

I think someone mentioned using black electric tape to discretely seal the airbox on black C5's.  I might try that tomorrow.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: May 08, 2011, 02:06:39 pm
Turn that bolt sticking up from the bottom over, bolt head inside the box, nut and washer outside, That will make it much easier to install the plastic cover. I tried everything you have before I went to the Shappers mod, it works perfectly and ends the aggravation ;)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 03:51:37 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: May 08, 2011, 02:39:44 pm
hi r80rt can you let me know whether you were able fit the round metal plate under the new plastic cover. because I am completely flummoxe and not able to fit the two.
I am certainly not happy using only the plastic cover as I feel it does not seal the filter from the other end.............any tricks, suggestion would be much appreciated.
Bradey,
 I put the stock filter in the air box and used grease to stick the round plate in place on the filter long enough to get the plastic cover on. Turn the bottom bolt over so it's not sticking up in the way. If you can possibly grow a third hand it really helps :D
Iron Butt Association

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 07:03:53 am
I finally installed the OEM filter, by attaching the plate on it with a scotch tape. And fitted the plastic cover. However I feel that the filter protrudes just a tad bit more than the plastic cover, which does not allow the plastic cover to seal completely, failing its purpose completely. But this can be taken care of, by shaving the rubber off the filter (the side on which the plate is bolted). This will allow both the filter and the plastic cover to seal perfectly  ;D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 04:29:15 pm
Bradey, exactly!  Unless the filter and cover are both just right one of them won't seal.  I'm planning to cut out the dimple from the new cover, cover the hole with a plate, mount the fliter as usual, and then just use some foam to hold the new cover snugly in place by pressing against the outer triangle box cover.

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 05:49:40 pm
Bradey, exactly!  Unless the filter and cover are both just right one of them won't seal.  I'm planning to cut out the dimple from the new cover, cover the hole with a plate, mount the fliter as usual, and then just use some foam to hold the new cover snugly in place by pressing against the outer triangle box cover.

Scott
Now that's a good suggestion!  Thanks!

It will give me more to fiddle with since soccer coaching duties ended last week...
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 05:53:43 pm
Go for it!  With family commitments lately I haven't had time in the garage since I cleaned it.  And if you do this you can use your K&N filter no sweat!

I was planning on using high density closed cell mini foam to hold the new cover in place.  A little on the bottom two surfaces to center the cover in the triagnle box, a little at a few spots on the cover or the door to press the cover into place.  Not too much!  You don't want to bend any bodywork.  Just snug.  This stuff is firm and does not compress much or deteriorate too quickly.  You can get some at any kayak shop.

Scott
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:57:23 pm by Ducati Scotty »

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 02:26:04 pm
I think you'd be better off by shaving the air filter very slightly toward the side where the metal plate is mounted, but this would have to be repeated every time you change the filter.

I suggest, making a small dimple/dent right in the centre of the metal plate (so that it is slightly lowered than the rest of the plate) will also allow great sealing of the air filter as well as the plastic cover (cause it can be screwed in just that little bit more)

If you got what I mean  :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 08:37:36 am by BRADEY »