Author Topic: Turn Signal Controller  (Read 5114 times)

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
on: May 05, 2011, 12:35:37 am
Searched and read about Kisan tech turn signal cancellation unit but cant find out which model was used. Any one know or remember the one that fits on the C-5 and plugs into the L plug
Dr B

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 12:27:32 am
Found it - I believe this one is plug and play !! Like talking to myself maybe but -

https://www.kisantech.com/view_product.php?product=SM-2

Amazing how after you have one - and then dont - you can drive a long piece with the thing flashing and it not only makes drivers around you crazy - its dangerous
Dr B

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 06:04:20 pm
They make good stuff.  A little pricey but I guess you get what you pay for.

Scott

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 09:52:55 pm
Actually:  SM-2 is the correct  signalMinder. and a little costly but a set of Kuryakin lights is more and won't stop that truck from running over the top of you when you finally turn the wrong way and get smucked  ::)

The switch is already one that returns to the center so I think it doesnt need any modifications.

I also found out that for hooking up the running light option:

signalMinder harness Black wire to Left side turn signal wire of the bike ??
signalMinder harness White wire to Right side turn signal wire of the bike ??
signalMinder harness Red wire to Brake side turn signal wire of the bike Green

This image did not show the turn signal bulbs so I can't show those colors. However there should be only two wires for the turn signal bulb. And it's NOT the Red/white wire because that's ground.

Will have to modify the switch as well but - good rainy day project !

Dr B

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 09:55:08 pm
This is fantastic !

Makes me wonder if it can be wired to the transmission neutral switch so the count down to turn signal cancellation begins after a turn is initiated.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 10:45:57 pm
Stay tuned - hooked it up and got it to work once - it blinked for the time - then I started it and never worked correctly again. When hooked to the brake light, the time is on hold till you let go and then it is 10 20 or 30 seconds. I am awaiting some input for the manufacturer as if it works it will be great - probably a wiring / CPU interference deal as the wiring colors were assed up - red/white is power by the way - but it was buggered anyway.  ::)

So - now will wait - will let you know  ;) May be a voltage deal with the bulbs as well so I am going to switch to LED's for most of them.

Dr B

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 11:30:14 pm
Well I started this and by God I am gonna finish it. I have been working with the techs at Kisan and they say they have another RE rider who fixed his finicky bits.

I have the auto flash / running light option / flashing brake lights / etc that works great with the key to aux. Switched out the indicator light on the dash and actual LED's for the turn signals themselves on the way  BUT  ::) ::)

Soon as I start the bike or turn the key to run - nothing works !! Anyone else dicking around with one of these?? ???

I am sure it is some silly thing that is electrical as I followed my creed - If a hammer or duct tape wont fix the problem it is electrical. ;D
Dr B

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 11:38:20 pm
You are in uncharted waters, good luck!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 08:33:32 pm
May be beyond the reef !!!

Found that although I have the correct unit - SM-2 - I have the earlier version and will need a newer model - when I am done I will post s DIY on the unit as I am sure considering the time I drive merrily along with the signal going it may save my life - or yours.
Dr B

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 12:28:17 am
IT WORKS - ITS ALIVE  :o

This is a great little unit but you have to have the KISAN  SM-2

https://kisantech.com/view_product.php?product=SM-2

AND if you want it to work - make sure the green on the unit is WELL grounded.  May have to switch the red and white and the white wire if the unit doesnt work and the polarity is wrong.

The foam plugs are best for cancelling the turn signal switch locking but they have to be trimmed down to about 60% of original width.

The wire harness to the rear fender lights is the easiest place to hook the harness for the running lights to .

Great tech support but make sure you have the LATEST version and check the wires as you go.
Dr B

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 03:36:16 am
Cool, glad you got it working.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 02:56:44 pm
EXCEPT !! Does anyone know if I reverse the wires on the turn signal bulb holders so the polarity will work the LED's I already bought if it changes anything else ?

Works fine with the incandescents but the LEDS wont light the way it is currently wired
Dr B

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 02:15:22 am
Well  - Changed polarity - front turn signals - swapped the two wires in the connectors inside the headlight - in the rear as there is a common ground from the connector I had to take the bayonet sockets apart and swap the wires - soldering the little cap on one I had to cut and sliding the other up the side of the housing - while I was doing these found that 3 of the 4 light reflectors were cracked and pieces were out of two where the wire went up the side - crazy glue and electrical tape - probably better than new.

Anyway - used these multi light led's colored amber for the turn signals - you can see they are brighter and with the Kisan - brakes on - all lights flash three times - brake stays on - all signal lights are on a little dimmer as running lights and when I hit the turn signal - they turn off in 10 seconds or longer if on the brake =
Dr B

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 08:20:58 pm
Are the LED's as bright at an angle? I was going to switch till I saw the specs on off-axis brightness.

Thanks for the info on the Kaisan. After 13 years of riding, its the one thing I still forget to do!

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 10:38:20 pm
Good Question ?

Not sure however, they are on all the time as riding lights and in the top picture, when in that mode are as bright as the stock lights. I will have a look but I am pretty sure that the orange  lens still lights up from the reflections on the chrome back on the fixture even though the leds themselves are orange.

Andy at Kisan was a great help and he and another rider with an RE and myself were working through some bugs. It is slick and as it is electronic it allows you to use LEDs with no problem. Never burn out and very low battery drain.

I may even look for some clear lenses and rear red leds so that they will all light up as brake lights.

Wonder if there are any laws regarding colors of turn signals?
Dr B