Author Topic: Steering clear on the right  (Read 3798 times)

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
on: May 02, 2011, 09:43:50 pm
Okay fellow hacksters....I put a new tire on my '06, and am finding that pretty much any right hand turn is a cause for flying the car. While there are times I enjoy flying...Nigel does not care to be sitting in the car while doing that. And I don't care to do it as much as it is happening now.

Any suggestions???

kim
Come to the Dark Side....We have cookies!

2006 RE Electra-sold
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100-Faster
1 cozy sidecar to match both-Priceless!

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 10:48:01 pm
Of course the easy answer is put more weight in the sidecar. The next thing is checking the lean out. The bike should lean away from the sidecar about 1 degree. More lean will make the car come up easier. Did this change with the new tire?

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 11:17:54 pm
The lean appears to be the same...as for putting more weight in the sidecar...Nigel would be very happy if I fed him more but that's not happening.  :)

I'm also wondering if when I changed the rear shocks if that made a difference. I didn't notice it then...but again it is an RE and things change when you are not looking it seems.

2006 RE Electra-sold

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 12:45:30 am
If you put on shorter shocks or softer springs it could lead to this problem. Otherwise it shouldn't.

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 01:12:31 am
If you put on shorter shocks or softer springs it could lead to this problem. Otherwise it shouldn't.

Nope didn't do either...just adjusted the rear suspension up a notch.

2006 RE Electra-sold

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 01:21:36 am
Nigel says he's willing to eat more in the intrest of keeping the wheel on the ground. Meat Please!

MotoJ

• Ride Fast and Take Chances!
  • Grease Monkey
  • Poverty Rider
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 05:43:58 pm
Can the car be adjusted so it's farther from the bike, so the whole rig is wider?
1978 BMW R80/7- Hacked!
1999 Enfield India 500 Bullet
1977 HD XLH 1000
1998 KLR 250
1956 IMZ M72m with sidecar

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 08:23:05 pm
Can the car be adjusted so it's farther from the bike, so the whole rig is wider?

I don't think it can...it is already pretty wide. I'm going to take it out again this weekend and see if there is something I'm doing wrong in my steering. I already sit on the sidecar as it is when I turn right. but maybe I'm not going out as far as I need.

2006 RE Electra-sold

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 05:08:21 pm
I had the same problem when I first mounted my Cozy Euro on my G5.  I even went back to a BMW manual I have for an R-60 from the mid 60's and it gave the same alignment figures.  I have largely solved the problem by reducing the lean-out, slightly increasing the toe-in, and increasing the sidecar tire pressure.  My 195-lb weight compresses the bike suspension a bit (rear is original set one notch from maximum) but sidecar suspension is very stiff.  My weight on the step produces little or no noticeable movement of trailing arm even when I spring up and down.  The only passenger I have had in the car is my Scottie Nigel.   My other dog, Sir, will not get in.  He is a Great Dane, 190-lb and 38 inches at the shoulder.  I had the toe-in set to 3/4" measured 6' from front wheel and lean out set at 3/4" at 24" off the floor measured with a framing square against right side of rear tire.  I have now decreased leanout to 1/4".  This was done by extending the lower mounts to move bike to a more upright position.  The leanout is now about 1/4" unloaded, but when I am on the bike, this increases to about 5/8" or so.  The change in lean-out may have increased to toe-in slightly, but tracking is good under both power and braeking.  I am running about 30 psi in the sidecar tire which is probably a bit high but this makes toe-in less effective and gives less rolling resistance.  I am getting about 65 mpg with most of my driving at speeds between 40 and 55 mph.  GA-DK

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 07:57:33 pm
I had the same problem when I first mounted my Cozy Euro on my G5.  I even went back to a BMW manual I have for an R-60 from the mid 60's and it gave the same alignment figures.  I have largely solved the problem by reducing the lean-out, slightly increasing the toe-in, and increasing the sidecar tire pressure.  My 195-lb weight compresses the bike suspension a bit (rear is original set one notch from maximum) but sidecar suspension is very stiff.  My weight on the step produces little or no noticeable movement of trailing arm even when I spring up and down.  The only passenger I have had in the car is my Scottie Nigel.   My other dog, Sir, will not get in.  He is a Great Dane, 190-lb and 38 inches at the shoulder.  I had the toe-in set to 3/4" measured 6' from front wheel and lean out set at 3/4" at 24" off the floor measured with a framing square against right side of rear tire.  I have now decreased leanout to 1/4".  This was done by extending the lower mounts to move bike to a more upright position.  The leanout is now about 1/4" unloaded, but when I am on the bike, this increases to about 5/8" or so.  The change in lean-out may have increased to toe-in slightly, but tracking is good under both power and braeking.  I am running about 30 psi in the sidecar tire which is probably a bit high but this makes toe-in less effective and gives less rolling resistance.  I am getting about 65 mpg with most of my driving at speeds between 40 and 55 mph.  GA-DK

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can do. I do weigh more than you, and with a 65 lb rideback in the sidecar he is no match. The bike rear suspension is set one below max, and the sidecar is VERY stiff. I also checked and the suspension on each side of the bike does not match so need to do that. I'm guessing that may have some do with the problem.
Good to know there is another dog named, Nigel... 8)

2006 RE Electra-sold

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 10:00:43 pm
Yes.  Naughty Nigel.   GA-DK

MotoJ

• Ride Fast and Take Chances!
  • Grease Monkey
  • Poverty Rider
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 02:33:09 am
http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/sidecartech.htm

This guy Snobum is the airheads guru's guru. Read the whole article and scroll down for alignment and leanout methods. You might find something useful.

Good luck!
1978 BMW R80/7- Hacked!
1999 Enfield India 500 Bullet
1977 HD XLH 1000
1998 KLR 250
1956 IMZ M72m with sidecar