Author Topic: 19T Front Sprocket Installation  (Read 6383 times)

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 02, 2011, 09:14:05 pm
So, I'd like to install a 19T front sprocket on my 2007 Bullet. Any special tools needed? Any advice from those who have done the install?

Thanks,

Jeff

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:17:36 pm
Clutch hub puller at a minimum.  Do you have a service manual ?
No matter where you go, there, you are.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:20:56 pm
I have the owner's manual (it's for a Sixty-5, but should be the same) and Snidal. Do you recommend a different one?

Are there other tools you'd recommend beyond the clutch hub puller?

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 10:07:05 pm
Turns out, I didn't need a clutch hub puller... hub came loose fairly easily... I used a "standard" automotive 2-claw puller to get the crankshaft sprocket moving.  Once clutch and crankshaft sprockets were loose, I just worked them off as a pair.

I wrapped electrical tape around the teeth on the clutch shaft to keep from damaging the seal on the inner case...

Make sure you use the correct size allen wrench to get the screws out around the crankshaft... I used one that had a T-handle... those buggers were tight...!!!

Putting it back together... used plastic spacers cut from a milk jug to seperate the alternator rotor from the windings...

If you do a seach, I think several have related their experiences...

A fun days work... ;)

Mike and S&S in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 10:09:33 pm
Hi Jeff!  You may or may not also need the engine sprocket puller.  I have both the sprocket and clutch hub pullers, but I think they might have come off ok for me without them.  The thing that gave me trouble was the little woodruff key on the main shaft that keeps the alternator rotor in place.  I had to use a heat gun on the shaft to get the key out.  I ended up mangling it enough that I had to use a new key.  I went with an 18 tooth sprocket and a stock chain was long enough, but you may need a longer chain to fit a 19 tooth sprocket.

Eamon
Eamon

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 02:38:29 am
OK, thanks guys. I'll look up more experiences. I'm several hundred miles from my bike so I might just pick up the tools and have them sent anyway just to make things easier.

I've taken up quite a bit of slack on the primary chain that came with my bike, so I'll wager it'll be OK for a 19T sprocket. We'll see...

MotoJ

• Ride Fast and Take Chances!
  • Grease Monkey
  • Poverty Rider
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 04:36:28 am
Hi Jeff,

I just replaced my 17 T sprocket last week, along with clutch plates, chain, rear sprocket, sprocket bearing, and wheel bearings.. A regular 3 slot hub puller will take the clutch and the forward primary sprocket off. You can get one at Harbor Freight or Western Auto for $10. Break one loose then the other then work both sprockets off with the primary chain as one apparatus. Loosen up the chain adjuster first.

You'll need a 1.5" socket or box wrench to get the nut off the drive sprocket. I had to go to three places to find one of those. 1.25" seems to be the biggest most places carry. I put the bike in gear and put my boot against the rear tire then gave the end of the wrench a whack with a hammer to shock the nut loose. After that it spun off easily.

You can see in the pic how scarred up the clutch hub was. No wonder it was dragging on me- the plates couldn't slide in and out easily enough. I didn't buy a new one- I just dressed all the sharp burrs with a small flat file. The metal is pretty soft. It all seems OK so far now that it's back together. Much smoother now with a new set of plates, friction and steel.

Take some photos at each step. I helped me when I had to reconnect the alternator leads and realized they weren't all color coded. Luckily I had taken a pic and could replace all the wires as they were.

Good luck & have fun!
1978 BMW R80/7- Hacked!
1999 Enfield India 500 Bullet
1977 HD XLH 1000
1998 KLR 250
1956 IMZ M72m with sidecar

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 09:21:02 pm
You need a 2" wrench to get the nut off the sprocket
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Jr.

• Scooter
  • 06 Military Iron 5speed
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 10:42:44 pm
I did the 19tooth on my 06 Bullet 5speed
with Goldstar and Ace air filter and love it,
chain was long enough to fit.
Jr.
Get On Your Bikes and Ride

MotoJ

• Grease Monkey
  • Poverty Rider
Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 01:02:58 am
You need a 2" wrench to get the nut off the sprocket

My '99 KS used a 1.5" nut with a folding lock washer behind it. I had to make a special trip out to buy the wrench. 1-1/2".
1978 BMW R80/7- Hacked!
1977 HD XLH 1000
1998 KLR 250

aleman

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 01:10:27 am
FWIW, I've had mine off several times and have not needed any special tools.  I also used the in "in gear" method to keep the crank from turning so I could loosen the nut holding everything on.  - I had to actually set it on the ground, if I remember right,  while sitting on it to get it to break though.

The three flat head allen machine screws holding the inner on are notorious for stripping out (the head, not the threads in the case).  I have had to drill the screw out with 1/4 drill bit and replace twice.  So, if you are ordering parts, have them send a few just for the hell of it.  Like was mentioned, get the correct hex attachement for a ratchet - 5mm or 6mm, can't remember.

Clutch hub came off with slow patient gentle tapping and pulling.

Good luck with it.

aleman
FB 002

aleman

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 01:15:36 am
Oh yeah - and I use paint sample cards form home depot to set the rotor/stator spacing for the alternator.  There about .009 in thick - seemed to work real well.  In case you want another option on that.

aleman
FB 002

jedaks

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 01:49:25 am
I'm about to do this same job.

My engine and gearbox is currently out of the frame. I tried taking the old sprocket off but it just spins (which is logical because the clutch/brake are not connected at the moment).

Is there a to do this with the gearbox out or should I wait until I get it put back together?

MotoJ

• Grease Monkey
  • Poverty Rider
Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 02:13:52 am
If you have it on a bench you should be able to wedge the sprocket or block it with a pry bar or something.
1978 BMW R80/7- Hacked!
1977 HD XLH 1000
1998 KLR 250

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 02:58:32 am
I would just wait until you get the engine back in the frame and shim the brake with the trans in 5th.  Not like you get any benefit from changing it earlier.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *