Author Topic: Weeping at the Sight Glass  (Read 9798 times)

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 02, 2011, 05:03:07 pm
My bike weeps oil at the sight glass.  It is just a slight leak, runs under the engine and drips a drop or two.  I thought it was the o-ring or the drain plug, changed those twice before I figured it was coming from somewhere else.

I guess I have the only RE that leaks oil, just my luck. 
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 05:24:57 pm
I guess I have the only RE that leaks oil, just my luck. 

Royal Enfield has a long and proud history of leaking oil.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 06:45:32 pm
You have the twin to my ride TW, right? I am taken mine in to Rons this weekend for some minor adjustments and her first oil change. If'n you want I can let him know bout you sight glass leak.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 07:35:40 pm
Royal Enfield has a long and proud history of leaking oil.

Well, they used to be called Royal Oilfield!  ;D

But the UCE certainly seems good and tight, mine certainly is.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 07:50:19 pm
You have the twin to my ride TW, right? I am taken mine in to Rons this weekend for some minor adjustments and her first oil change. If'n you want I can let him know bout you sight glass leak.

Yes, ask him what he thinks.  Actually I talked with him several months ago about this problem, he said he had never seen one with a leak like that, maybe he has more information now.

I have a small house on Grand Lake, travel thru Tulsa often.  Maybe I could drop you a line, we could meet in Tulsa for lunch.  Never seen another RE on the streets of Oklahoma.  You know what Tulsa spelled backwards is, right?

Cheers,

Terry   
2010  C5  Teal
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 07:56:10 pm
LOL! I certainly do know what Tulsa spelled backwards is! Tee hee!

So far as I know we have the only two in the state. I will ask Ron what he think it might be. As far as droppin in when your in Town, Me casa es su casa. My email is on here so drop me line ifn you want. Like to ride and like to eat so seems like a good plan.

Parks

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 08:13:21 pm
Weep at the sight glass,,,sheesh  ;D

If it were an iron barrel it would be normal and you wouldn't worry,,,,until it stopped  ;D  :( ::) :P

Wait, did I just say that out loud ?

slinks off to adjust ignition points
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 11:36:36 pm
Jesus H. Christ, Bob, you really know how to scare a guy.  Mine's not leaking at all and now I want to fix it!   :o
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 12:04:42 am
This is going to BE a problem if not addressed. The sight glass pushes into the case from the OUTSIDE and has no mechanical fixture to hold it there, other than a little friction on the rubber sealing ring. Any oil that gets past it is going to wet the seal and make it MORE prone to removing itself under the slightest crankcase pressure. I sent one flying across the room with 8psig as a test ...  I made the suggestion that the sight glass should have an e-clip or a circlip or SOME sort of mechanical fixture to it .... but I guess a dozen or so "hard" improvements were enough.

I'd take the thing to a machine shop and have a groove cut around the inside of the sight glass hole to allow mechanical fixing of the thing. That way, if it DOES leak - it isn't going to pop out and toss all the oil all at once .......

Scooter Bob - Thank you for your reply.  I think I am having a heart attack!   Bike only has 1291 miles, MFR Date of Jan 2010.  Was planning a 300 mile ride on old Rte 66 in early June with some pre 1975 bikes, was planning to show them what an Enfield could do!  Maybe I need to think about this a little.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:07:07 am by TWinOKC »
2010  C5  Teal
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 12:30:14 am
we've had 1 sight glass weeper.
KH suggested we replace it ASAP for the reason SB mentioned.
after tapping the leaker out, we found the o-ring or seal was distorted
showing it was put in a bit crooked.
easy fix, we had the sight glass and gasket in stock
thanks to SB suggesting it during our school.

Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 01:02:46 am
Jesus H. Christ, Bob, you really know how to scare a guy.  Mine's not leaking at all and now I want to fix it!   :o

For you "do it yourselfers" - I think either CV Products or maybe even Summit Racing has the spiffy little "cut yer own" circlip groove cutting doo-dad for pretty cheeeeep. I cheated and used a small boiler tube sheet roller on the Military bike that I just did (use what you got .... it's an old family tradition ....). It made enough of a groove to accept a wrist pin circlip that I had that was pretty close (again UWYG!) and it was done in a jiffy. NOW it'd take significantly more than 8psig to get it out of there - even if it IS leaking.

I had also entertained putting a "retaining ring" over the glass (PVC tubing would do well ...) and securing THAT with a couple of small button head screws on the perimeter. It wouldn't take much to get peace of mind. That design is a total rookie mistake, I think ..... I was absolutely STUNNED that it went in from the OUTSIDE .... stunned ...
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 01:27:08 am
??......  I must take it apart to see what you mean  ;D
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 02:07:31 am
OK, i have to mirror Andy on this one.  :o  Last thing I want is catastrophic failure doing 65, 200 miles from home. TW, i know you're about 200 miles away from Ron's. You think you will be able to get it up to him in time for the run? I'm going to keep an eye on mine as well as they both may have been manufactured at the same time in India, probably on friday. Keep us up to date.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 02:09:48 am
nothing worst than looking weepy at a leaky weepy sight glass...i'm glad i don;t have that problem...u guy get the weird ones..
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 02:16:34 am
Site glass
http://www.mcmaster.com/#bull%27s-eye-sights/=c4x114
its along page so scroll down
No matter where you go, there, you are.