Author Topic: C-5 battery cover  (Read 3778 times)

Fieldrg

• Scooter
on: April 30, 2011, 04:07:36 pm
Anyone have problems with their battery cover shaking loose?I was going about 50mph on a country road when it decided to come off! Any fix for this?

raycopper

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 04:09:28 pm
Had the same happen to me, at 400 miles. My dealer replaced it under warranty. Lock is made of plastic which can crack under load

Ray
2010 C5 - Red

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 05:05:43 pm
Welcome to the forum.  Mine did the same thing.  There is a part available thru Nfield Gear that works great.  P/N - Z91306.  Battery Lock Replacement.  I will attempt to attach a link to the part.

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/body/battery-lock-replacement.html
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:27:02 am by TWinOKC »
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 11:22:15 pm
Be sure that your battery is installed with the terminals IN, toward the bike. The cheap shit plastic latches will break if you have to stomp the cover on. If the battery has been correctly installed, there is no load on the latch at all and they'll last forever .....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 12:28:32 am
Be sure that your battery is installed with the terminals IN, toward the bike.

Really?  My C5 came the other way around.  I've never even tried to reverse it.  Wouldn't have thought it would fit.
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

ChristopherRyan

• Christopher Ryan
  • Scooter
Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 03:26:33 am
Really?  My C5 came the other way around.  I've never even tried to reverse it.  Wouldn't have thought it would fit.

Mine came the same way. The cover does not fit right and the + terminal is in danger of grounding. I have suspected that everything would work better if the terminals were facing in but thought that I could not possibly be correct.

I am going to try it.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 03:35:28 am
Mine came the same way. The cover does not fit right and the + terminal is in danger of grounding. I have suspected that everything would work better if the terminals were facing in but thought that I could not possibly be correct.

I am going to try it.
Yup, that was the first thing I found wrong with mine to. The positive terminal was arching on the cover. Makes you wonder what they were thinking when they had all that trouble trying to get the cover on. :-\
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 03:57:05 pm
So I can take the deadblow hammer out of the tool kit then.   ;D

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 05:15:58 pm
You can swap the battery around so that the terminals are facing inwards. On UK bikes positive lead is too short to reach so it must be turned through 180 degress at the starter solenoid. It's still a bit tight but can be done.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 05:15:58 pm
So I can take the deadblow hammer out of the tool kit then.   ;D

NO! Best tool ever.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 01:15:57 am
Yup, that was the first thing I found wrong with mine to. The positive terminal was arching on the cover. Makes you wonder what they were thinking when they had all that trouble trying to get the cover on. :-\

Yeah - and it's not like I didn't start preaching this gospel when I was an RE dealer years ago .... It's not "brave new technology". Any dealer that sets one up with the cables out THESE days ain't paying attention .......
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 01:50:20 pm
NO! Best tool ever.

Came in bloody handy on my old SR250 when the starter motor cacked on me.  Whirrrrwhiirrrwhirrr....whirrwhirrrrwizzlewhir....  WHACK  Vrooooom!   8)

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 10:42:20 pm
Well I figure this was the initiation topic and I spent and hour bending twisting cutting the wiring logs on the positive and negative cables and never did get the damn battery turned around - inside terminals and the terminal on the negative side banged into the frame under the seat.

More trouble than it was worth  but would make sense to put them that way however , hard to access the terminals inside the battery - screw driver hard to fit too.

May frig with it next winter but next few months - to hell with it  ;D
Dr B

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 10:50:39 am
May frig with it next winter but next few months - to hell with it  ;D

My thoughts exactly.