Author Topic: Cracked and Ripped Insulation of Wires  (Read 6733 times)

oldairplanenut

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 03:55:05 pm
I don't think the above link worked.  >:(  Just go to aircraftspruce.com and search for "terminal nipple".

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 07:42:12 pm
what about using some Cathodic protection to prevent rust?....Installing an Anode on the frame may prevent rust.
Great Idea but cathodic protection works by imparting a small current on the metal you want to protect.  You are in essence making your boat/outboard/whatever into a battery where the anode is the consumable part.  In order to do that you need the system to be immersed in an electrolyte.  In other words it would work great if you store your bike underwater but without the electrolyte there's no current.  I suppose it would theoretically work in localized spots where moisture is involved tho- using galvanized hot dipped washers to protect a rust prone bolt on the bottom of the bike, in locals where they salt the roads for instance.  You might be introducing more problems with galvanic reactions tho.  I think coating rust prone stuff in water-proof grease would be just as effective.  I have seen at one time an induced current system made for cars that ran off the car battery but I don't know if they work.  Maybe we can go into business marketing a micro sized one for motorcycles  ;D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:44:24 pm by jartist »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 08:23:10 pm
 Excellent points !  Perhaps a anode , immersed in a sealed container, with  the leads coming out?  Sort of like a sealed relay or other elec. component?
 You also may need to Isolate the battery when the Anode is being used, not sure what effect battery voltage would have on the system, if any?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:33:29 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 01:04:52 am
those are nice boots and in differnt color ...i would still go with black....link came right up......what size did u get?  of course i would measure the ones i have anyway..thanks. :P
Oh Magoo you done it again

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 04:26:43 am
@Jartist and @GHG:

Most of the damage was done before I had ACF50 which gives a superb protective coating wherever it is applied.  Now it is a matter of finding all the parts which are most susceptible - looking at all the little things, bonding with the bike guys  ;D !  Thanks for your ideas.

I am posting these pictures for the benefit of Forum members whose bike parts have not yet fallen apart, so that they can protect their bikes.  Discussing various issues, small or big, is a learning experience that in itself is interesting.

@Oldairplainenut:

Thanks for the link, that is what I need !
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:41:45 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 10:37:37 pm
I guess I can search but what is ACF 50?

In terms of the wires some of the ones on my BRAND new C-5 are VERY stiff already and it is a combination of heating and cooling with the air cooled cylinder close to the wires that causes them to do so. I would wonder where the wire they use when manufacturing the bikes come from>?

Silicone spray or even something like armour all will help the wiring as well.

Thanks for all the help guys
Dr B

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 10:44:47 pm
I guess I can search but what is ACF 50?
Silicone spray or even something like armour all will help the wiring as well.

ACF50 is Anti-Corrosion Formula, a Canadian product widely used in aerospace industry in North America and is well known for its use on motorcycles in UK / Europe.

It can be ordered in US from http://www.corrosion-control.com/ 

All the details of the product are in the other thread at the following link -

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10169.0.html
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 10:54:20 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 11:25:55 pm
I remember now this is great stuff but this crew ships from Canada and the US and is easier to buy - 1 or 2 spray bottles or whatever.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/

Thanks again !
Dr B