Author Topic: Tach for 2010 C5  (Read 3017 times)

Anthonyof Erin

• Scooter
on: May 02, 2011, 09:57:20 pm
Hey All wish to install a tach on my bike not seeing anything at Nfield. Any suggestions?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 10:22:02 pm
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/randon-display.html

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/genuine-smiths-tachometer.html

Neither is listed as fitting teh UCE engine specifically but I'm pretty sure they would.  Send Kevin a message and check.

Scott

Fox

• Bulleteer
2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 11:59:27 pm
Yeah, spoils the lines of the bike,  It'd be nice if there was a tiny one with two warning lights you could swap for the idiot lights on the right.

Scott

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 12:34:34 am
Put the Smith's tach in place of the speedometer.  You don't really need a speedometer to tell you you're speeding do you? :D   Seriously, tho, you could use a bicycle computer mounted on the handlebar for a speed indicator if you really need to know how fast your going.  Think the Smith's would fit in the casquette?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:47:02 am by jartist »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 01:06:02 am
So NOT period appropriate!!!  :D  Bike computers are great,  There are several out there that will read up to moto speeds and highly tunable to get very accurate speed as well.  No light and definitely does not fit the character of the bike IMO though.  I'd love to see one that offers a 12V backlight for motos.

If you're ok with the hi tech look go with the first option that combines speedo, tach, lights, and I think a few other things into one clean unit.  I've seen similar units put into other bikes and I think someone installed one on an RE here on the forum recently.  Nice units.  I've also seen tiny units that do the same that are maybe an inch tall and a few inches wide.  They're nice if you want to eliminate a big round speedo.  So you could put in a nice big analog tach and a smal hi tech LCD bar computer multi-display.

Does anything fit in the casquette including the stock headlight and speedo?  ;)  If you went with a small tach you'd need a filler plate to make up the difference.  Might be able to sneak in some lights and other toys.  I would bet you could get another electronic tach that fits.  You could probably find one that's shorter top to bottom than the stock speedo and so easier to fit, though I haven't had much luck finding tachs that work for single cylinder engines.  Most are for 2 or more cylinders.

There are lots of little tachs and I think they'd fit in the idiot light spot but they're either for twin cylinder engines or mechanical.  Harley stuff near as I can tell and won't work with our engines :(

Scott
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 01:10:51 am by Ducati Scotty »

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 05:10:54 am
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 06:05:27 am
No tech? Ni problem, when riding fast, use the rev limiter for a shift light. My Z1, RT, 900F have limiters and are ridden thusly.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 06:50:15 am
Search the threads.
 IIRC, eons ago some one posted a link to a tach that would fit in place of the ignition switch with a bit of relief to the mounting hole.

Of course the switch would have to be re located to someplace like the L/H tool box.
No matter where you go, there, you are.