Author Topic: Halcyon mirrors, US distributor?  (Read 14358 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
on: April 28, 2011, 04:47:35 am
I'm looking at these:
http://classicpartsltd.com/classic-motorcycle-products/classic-motorcycle-mirrors/830-halcyon-bar-end-mirror.html
http://classicpartsltd.com/classic-motorcycle-products/classic-motorcycle-mirrors/835-halcyon-bar-end-mirror.html

Anyone know a place in the States that carries them?  They're a bit pricey but look like nice quality.  I think a single round chrome mirror on the C5 would look really sweet.

Scott

newtothescene

• Scooter
  • Wake me when it's time to ride.
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 03:55:12 pm
I love that look as well, I just ordered the bar end mirror in chrome from nfieldgear and will be installing them this weekend. I went with these as they are hinged which will make it easier for storage along side my wife's cruiser. Word on this forum is that they are easily installed and work great.As for the Halcyon, I am unsure of a US supplier, but was looking at almost the identical mirror on the 2010 Triumph Thruxton, you may want to contact a local Triumph dealer for the specs to see if it may work. Good Luck. Looking forward to posted pics.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 04:14:37 pm
Ah, good idea!  We've got a Triumph dealer and a vintage Brit bike shop in town.  I should check those.

That's part of the reason I'm thinking of going for the single round mirror, dual Napoleons makes for a big wingspan when I park at work.

Scott

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 03:30:51 am
I put the stems vertical and rotated the mirrors so the longer/wider portion was inboard. I do like the look off the round ones but I don't think they will go on the stock handlebar.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 03:49:05 am
I like the wider end to the outside, but the idea is to get a smaller round mirror.  I think it just looks better.  And anything will work with the stock bars.  You just have to get "cutsom". ;)

Scott

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 08:18:40 pm
Scotty, you probably know this, but for others reading.. Keep in mind that the ends of our bars have a welded-in threaded metal stopper, so unless those inserts are removable, you'll be doing some modding. I've had two sets on my bike and both times had to grind protruding bits with a dremel before being able to use a bolt to hold the mirror in place from the end.

You will also likely be left with a 1/8" space between the mirror and the end of the grip. I used a small section of black rubber tubing I had lying around - about garden hose size in diameter, and it looks great.

About the napoleon type mirrors on nfield.. AVOID  them, they have horrible optics and on top of that vibrate like crazy. Actually, avoid almost everything  on nfield. :) I was lucky to find a pair of real Napoleons (now a defunct company apparently) and they are great.

Its been my experience btw that almost every mod I've done to my bike required some sort of modding, especially things from nfield gear which state they're designed for the c5.

Post pics later

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 08:43:24 pm
Thanks, and yes I know about the threaded end.  I currently have Napoleons that I bolted right up.  I tried them without the end weights but vibrations was excessive for both comfort and vision.  I them bolted them on right over the end weights and they're great.  I plan to do the same with this mirror and if I have to cut a bit of it off to do so, so be it.  If I have to use some spacers to fill a small gap, so be it.

Thanks,
Scott

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 02:54:03 am
About the napoleon type mirrors on nfield.. AVOID  them, they have horrible optics and on top of that vibrate like crazy. Actually, avoid almost everything  on nfield. Smiley I was lucky to find a pair of real Napoleons (now a defunct company apparently) and they are great

I disagree. I bolted Napoleans on my G-5 outboard the weights. The optics are great, a larger field than the round ones I tried, no vibration, and I put small cat's eyes in the corners for better lateral vision. They are still available. There was an import problem for a short time. Just make sure the bolts are snug.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 03:04:56 am
Joe, not all napoleons, the ones on nfield.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 10:04:44 pm
British Customs has Napoleon bar end mirrors listed for $31.95, the cheapest I've seen them.
I have a pair on my Bullet and they work magnificently very little or no vibration at any speed, they are always usable and have a pretty wide viewing area. Mine are mounted outside the bar end weights where they bolt right on. Just remove the rubber bushings and the stubs fit the hole in the bar end beautifully, like they are made for each other. The stock bolt will work, but I felt they were a bit short and replaced them with longer bolts.
The mirrors are listed under the Scrambler category for one, I don't know whether or not they are listed under any other heading.
I have done business with these guys and they are great to work with. But they are about 40 miles from me and I don't get there often.

British Customs LLC
18426 South Broadway
Gardena, California 90248

Call Us Toll Free: (877) 999-BRIT
International: (310) 225-2570
Fax: (310) 225-2580

Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm PST

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 10:32:14 pm
My bad. Napolians are Napolians to me.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 10:56:38 pm
I already have Napoleons, the real ones.  They rock.  This is a vanity purchase.  I just want the single, small, shiny precious ;)

Scott

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 05:47:07 pm
The postman just delivered my Halcyon #835 "gunfighter" mirrors today... This afternoon's project will be modding them to fit outboard of the bar weights on Fiona. (I saw the milled weights in another thread, but don't have the milling machine to do that sort of work.)

ObSubject line: No US distributor that I could find. I ordered directly from Halcyon in the UK.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
  • Your only as old as you feel
Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 06:03:52 pm
I also ordered mine directly, still haven't mounted them yet. I talked to a millwright at work, and showed him the pics of those machined bar ends. He thinks he can whip me up a pair, just haven't taken the time to hand over all the parts. If not I'll probably buy a new set of bars and just install them on that. One of the products we produce at work is a visco-elastomer (sound dampening metallic glue, for the auto industry), I was thinking of filling the new bars with it to dampen vibrations and give them some weight. Just a thought.
'11 C5 Military

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 06:13:28 pm
HobbyDad,

Take off the switch clusters and tape up the locating holes before you try that, or it will fill up the switches.  And you can just use silicon caulk for that if you like.  Cheap and it comes in a tube designed to squirt into things..

Scott