Author Topic: Rear fender not centered ??  (Read 11193 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 07:16:16 pm
Kevin man, you're bringing me down.  Just crooked?  What are we supposed to do now?  No clever fixes to be offered on the forum over days and days of discussion?  Just crooked?  Man, I'm so depressed :(

Scott ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 07:35:28 pm by Ducati Scotty »

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 07:37:06 pm
Kevin man, you're bringing me down.  Just crooked?  What are we supposed to do now?  No clever fixes to be offered on the forum over days and days of discussion?  Just crooked?  Man, I'm so depressed :(

Scott ;)

:D :D :D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 07:45:33 pm
Rather than hypnotize an entire generation into thinking they are rugged bad boy individualists by ridings the same bike and wearing the same costumes.......
RE decided that by actually making each bike differently they would be individual by definition. You must just  let go and just ride the wave.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 07:57:39 pm
Rather than hypnotize an entire generation into thinking they are rugged bad boy individualists by ridings the same bike and wearing the same costumes.......
RE decided that by actually making each bike differently they would be individual by definition. You must just  let go and just ride the wave.

But doesn't that cut you out of a lot of motorclothes sales ?
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 08:12:44 pm
Well after dropping a bunch over the years and straightening out stuff with a ball peen and a board - crooked is a good thing but I will be careful of the tension on the struts causing high speed vibration - that is over 40 mph isnt it - my bimmer tops out at 155  ;D
Dr B

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 08:43:16 pm
The wobble is usually in the 55-65mph range.  If you can hit 65 with no problems then you're fine,  just leave it all alone and move on.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 10:44:02 pm
If you can hit 65 with no problems then you're fine,  just leave it all alone and move on.

Scott

+1.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 08:26:41 pm
My bike has a similar thing I just noticed after 1200 miles.. the shock mount on one side is about a fingers-width (3/4") closer to the frame than the other! My bike is pretty stable at "high" speed, but I'm having the dealer check out the alignment when I bring it in just in case (to avoid funny tire wear).

This bike is a pisser.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 08:33:09 pm
Despite by best efforts not to do so, I looked at my bike over the weekend.  Both fenders are a little crooked.  Meh.

Scott

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 08:39:30 pm
Ya DONT LOOK, DONT LOOK!!!!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 08:52:32 pm
The wobble is usually in the 55-65mph range.  If you can hit 65 with no problems then you're fine,  just leave it all alone and move on.

Scott

In the past the wobble has been reported at 35 MPH in a couple of cases ( Iron Barrel machines)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Raj V

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 09:03:39 pm
Last night while attaching the license plate (which is a project on its own right), I inspected the welding and construction. Talk about being hand made. I think manual welding  is the biggest contributor to unevenness or misalignment of parts in the frame. My bike's rear fender is also off-line. But, I concluded that these bikes are made with such clearances in mind. (I have only 120 miles on board and I can do the maximum allowed 40MPH smoothly). It will be a sheer coincidence if every little thing was perfectly aligned.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:10:08 pm by Raj V »

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 09:21:34 pm
Now that I have been back and over and around it for a couple of weeks I have to say that if it is a little bit like nature - nothing is straight or in line or of exact dimensions . 

We are back to nature =  green machines - you would think however that even a wooden jig made from 2x4's would hold all the parts in line for welding - but that would kill a tree - now I know.

Great
Dr B

Lady_Enfield

• Scooter
  • Bluce
Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 02:50:50 am
I have the same issue.  At first I thought my sticker was crooked.  Then I realized it was the whole fender.  So I titled my license plate and close one eye and it looks perfect! ;D
I am Multi-FUNctional!

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 10:30:00 pm
Well - anal retentive or not if I was restoring one of these "classics" and have done so the way to center the fender considering why its crooked in the first place is not to bend the struts - you will never get them right with no stress on something and the hollow tubes could flatten and bend right over -cracking all the paint etc.

Since they are out of line because of the angle of the mounting points on the frame AND the mounting cylinders on the struts it makes more sense to leave all that alone BUT change the angle slightly of the mounting surfaces where they are bolted together.

If you can look at the top mounts and they need to "aim" the struts to one side or the other, it is fairly easy to file or grind a little bit off one side of the mount to the strut comes out of the mount on the bottom or off the side of the top ones at a slightly different angle. Your take the whole fender off - dont forget to unhook the rear light harness and file both sides of the lower mount to aim it the right way and a little the inside of the top ones to aim them to the same side and bolt them back on - still no pressure on the mounts but they aim in the right direction.

Will post pics when I do it but with the brackets off and all the welds off - easier to change angles than to BEND anything .
Dr B