Author Topic: Taller gearing?  (Read 3322 times)

SimonT

• Bulleteer
on: April 27, 2011, 01:30:35 am
Does anyone else think the C5s gearing is quite short? it just feels like the gearing doesnt utilize the UCEs best asset.... torque.

on the highway it seems to really be revving to go 110kmph (about 70mph)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 04:17:34 am
That's where the vibes are worst.  65 is more mellow and so is 75.  You could change the gearing a little to lower the vibes at those speeds, I think a few people have on the G5.  Top speed seems to stay about the same.

Scott

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 04:49:03 am
I'm pretty sure we have an even bigger countershaft
sprocket in stock.
it's one tooth larger than even the C5.
normally that reduces hiway rpm by 3to 5 hundred.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

SimonT

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 04:51:40 am
that would be pretty good....are they easy to come across (i am in australia).

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 05:14:04 am
Does anyone else think the C5s gearing is quite short? it just feels like the gearing doesnt utilize the UCEs best asset.... torque.

On the highway it seems to really be revving to go 110kmph (about 70mph).
On the ride this weekend I was thinking how correct the C5 gearing is.  Going over Tiger Mountain near Seattle I had it in 5th with throttle wide open at about 60mph (leaning forward, heh) to get over the summit.  4th gear would have probably been too high in revs to hold that speed. 

Today I blasted up a curvy incline towards home and noticed how well 4th gear pulled at 30mph.  So, for my kind of riding the C5 gearing is fine. 

But I will admit that for my previous 5 motorcycles I always wished for a taller cruising gear on the highway.  With the C5 I haven't had that wish yet.

A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 12:59:27 pm
Hello SimonT,
        I know exactly what your talking about ! My G5 Deluxe came stock with a 17 tooth counter shaft sprocket and I had it upgraded to 18 tooth. This put the engine in a very comfortable rpm range. I believe your C5 comes stock with an 18 tooth sprocket, but has 18 " wheels instead of the 19" wheels that the G5 has. Hopefully, there might be a 19 tooth counter shaft sprocket available that will fit with proper clearance.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 01:17:24 pm
There are 19-tooth-sprocktes for the C5, and there barely fit in, but they fit. You can order them from Hitchcock´s  or mabe even NField Gear.Check out the forum about sprocket change, though, for some of us had difficulties.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 03:22:42 pm
On the ride this weekend I was thinking how correct the C5 gearing is.  Going over Tiger Mountain near Seattle I had it in 5th with throttle wide open at about 60mph (leaning forward, heh) to get over the summit.  4th gear would have probably been too high in revs to hold that speed. 

Today I blasted up a curvy incline towards home and noticed how well 4th gear pulled at 30mph.  So, for my kind of riding the C5 gearing is fine. 

But I will admit that for my previous 5 motorcycles I always wished for a taller cruising gear on the highway.  With the C5 I haven't had that wish yet.

I agree with the prof, here in the Ozarks the C5 stock gearing is perfect for these steep twisty roads.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 05:40:48 pm
+1.  I like the C5 as it is but I don't do long stretches on high speed roads.

Scott