Author Topic: Not a problem - great stuff  (Read 6403 times)

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 01:47:30 pm
They're actually the stock Speemaster front and Safety Mileage rear. I've only found the front squirrely on stony pavement, but it has never put me ill-at-ease otherwise, and I ran it with street pressure, 50mph+ on dirt / gravel roads. Does rider weight factor into the experience? I wouldn't say I'm a stick, but I'm small-ish compared to a lot of guys.

For full disclosure, people call me crazy on an almost daily basis, so maybe it's just not registering  ;D

Maybe it's just my C5's roadriders that aren't worthy then.  I'd never say I was a pro offroad, but I like dirt (bee riding dualsports the last ten years or so) and I'm only 150 lbs soaking wet.  But on one hardpack road after a rain, I scared myself so bad fishtailing around (while attempting to drive in a straight line) I had to crawl through the last 20 km in first gear most of the way. 

When it's due for new rubber, I'll be putting some 60/40 dualies on there fo' sho'!
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 05:04:20 pm
Maybe it's just my C5's roadriders that aren't worthy then.  I'd never say I was a pro offroad, but I like dirt (bee riding dualsports the last ten years or so) and I'm only 150 lbs soaking wet.  But on one hardpack road after a rain, I scared myself so bad fishtailing around (while attempting to drive in a straight line) I had to crawl through the last 20 km in first gear most of the way. 

When it's due for new rubber, I'll be putting some 60/40 dualies on there fo' sho'!

Yeah the AM26 Roadriders are the bees knees on pavement, but on unpaved surfaces (especially wet ones) the Speedmasters are more surefooted.  I did a 20 mile stretch of unpaved road with my set of Roadriders while it was lightly raining, and it sometimes felt like I was riding butter wheels on a hot skillet!  I'm either going back to Speedmasters or maybe Dunlop K70's soon, as my rear Roadrider is almost worn out.

I also like the old school scrambler look of a DOT trials tire like the following:
http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/Shinko/shinko_sr241_trials.htm
but realistically, I have no need for that tread.  It would be more for look and I'm sure paved road handling would suffer.

Eamon
Eamon

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 07:04:20 pm
I agree with Eamon on the SM MkII's.
They have served me well in year round commuting and also do o.k. on hard packed trails. Loose or slick trails I have to pick a good line and proceed with caution.

FWIW Bill Harris is running Perelli trail tires on his scrambler and I can not keep up with him in the twisties.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 01:54:05 am
will the k70 give the same support on packed worn gravel surfaces l as i get currently with the avon speedmasters?  are they the same or better on blacktop as the sppedmasters?
Oh Magoo you done it again

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 03:38:58 am
I think they are better all around.. Just softer rubber and more prone to wearing out.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 06:11:47 pm
the wearing out i don't mind as long as they last for at least 5k......the oem speedmasters were standard fare when i purchased the machine and i have nothing to  negative to report  as they have held up well on on various pavement and packed/loose gravel secondary roads here in Virginia...looks like I'll get close to 10k out of them when its all said and done and the rear could probably go another 3k after that..i think they picked a good overall oem tire for this standard platform.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 09:57:30 pm
There is a Czech company that produces pretty decent two-purpose tires. These are dirt-cheap (at least in Europe) and certainly worth to have a look at:

Mitas Tires North America, Inc. (formerly CGS Tires US, Inc.)
7400 Carmel Executive Park, Suite 100
NC 28226 Charlotte
Market Manager: Neil Rayson
Tel.:+1 704 542 3422
Fax:+1 704 542 3474
neil.rayson@mitas-tires.com

In Germany both tires are less than 40€ (including 19% VAT!)
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 01:28:14 am
H-02 / 3.50-19 M/C

Road versatile block tread pattern for both front and rear wheels. Suitable especially for old timer category of motorcycles.

How did they know?  ;D
2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 02:22:00 am
those are really nice looking tires..dealer is 12 miles from my house...do u think puting a .3.5 vice 3.25 on the front would change tha handling that much?  they do have a 3.25 in 19 inch but its a different tread design (not that the speedmasters are not the same design)..would 3.5 with the same design look better and handle just as well? stupid question but what the hell, i'm watching the ballgame while writing this and my boys are winning 7-2 over nats..

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 03:52:53 pm
those are really nice looking tires..dealer is 12 miles from my house...do u think puting a .3.5 vice 3.25 on the front would change tha handling that much?  they do have a 3.25 in 19 inch but its a different tread design (not that the speedmasters are not the same design)..would 3.5 with the same design look better and handle just as well? stupid question but what the hell, i'm watching the ballgame while writing this and my boys are winning 7-2 over nats..
According to the German RE-Forum the different treads work well together. I wouldn't use a 3.50 on the front though, as far as I know these ruin the handling.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl