Author Topic: Not a problem - great stuff  (Read 6409 times)

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
on: April 25, 2011, 09:20:53 pm
As a newbie on this forum but having been on corvette, BMW, HD and others they are great for one off or weird problems especially aftermarket - post warranty inquiries and as a lot of folks I am so far away from other owners and 6 hours from a dealer - these are great.

That said, its like watching CNN - after a while you figure we are all F(*&(#d and not very may positive comments appear - on line - SOI :D

I got 56KMS on my 2011 C-5 UCE and NO PROBLEMS other than esthetics I am fixing, and getting rid of (rear pegs, starter shutoff on side stand, lower seat, lower shocks, bars back, ) BUT - with roughly 30 miles on it -- mechanically it is great - still trying to abide by break in rules but this little bike is FUN.

Any of you out there that read a lot of posts and have NO problems - let us and the manufacturer, importers and dealers know - you get some tired of complaints  ;D
Dr B

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 12:11:11 am
COMMON - 30 people read and no one has anything good to say !!
Dr B

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 12:32:34 am
Heh, this forum isn't advrider, and replies come at the Royal Enfield pace - you might have to wait an hour or two  ;)

Yes, these are great bikes. Fit and finish aren't Japanese yet, but I don't know that that's the aspiration here - the difference is that these bikes are real and have soul that Tokyo doesn't.

Had a couple of issues early on - throttle control out adjustment, high idle, and my instruments / mirrors were misadjusted by the dealer. All pretty minor.

My exhaust heatshield freed itself from highway vibes.

But unlike a couple of less fortunate members, I have never been stranded, and have put my G5 through the wringer.

2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 12:34:05 am
Um...   I ride my Irons every day and have no issues...       :P

Better??

Oh,  Fox, when you gonna post that video from that camera attached to you noggin?
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 12:36:52 am
Well, I had no problems during Sunday's 150 mile ride.   ;)
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 12:51:42 am
Well, I had no problems during Sunday's 150 mile ride.   ;)

For some additional perspective, I put 500 miles on it last weekend, and 600 this weekend. About 60 of those miles were gnarly dirt and gravel that had me wishing for a bash plate and my 7" headlight so that I can install the stone guard.

Oh,  Fox, when you gonna post that video from that camera attached to you noggin?

In time - I am yet unskilled in the dirt and so have some profanities to edit out ;) She never went down though.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 05:42:06 am
Fox, great shot of the muddy ride! How did you take  a picture of yourself?

Drvbac, enjoy the bike. I don't post about my bike's minor ills just to complain, I do it so the next guy to have this problem may have an idea what t look for. I hope there won't be a next guy, but if there is it might get him back on the road.

Dan

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 06:04:26 am
Fox, great shot of the muddy ride! How did you take  a picture of yourself?

I didn't  :P

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 12:33:53 am
What rubber are you running, Fox?  I've taken the Slug down a few roads/trails similar to that, but the stock Avons just weren't up to it - slid all over the damn place and put my APF* way into the red zone.

* "Ass Pucker Factor - couldn't have pulled a needle out of there with vice grips!
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 05:08:47 am
What rubber are you running, Fox?  I've taken the Slug down a few roads/trails similar to that, but the stock Avons just weren't up to it - slid all over the damn place and put my APF* way into the red zone.

* "Ass Pucker Factor - couldn't have pulled a needle out of there with vice grips!

Got Roadriders on your bike eh ?
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

JohnofDelph

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 06:53:00 pm
It's easy to get paranoid when you read the problems that riders post. These bikes are not perfect, but they have so much character and are great fun. I've put  6000 miles on my Woodsman since last June, running it through the winter and I ride it every day. I've had a few little niggles, but nothing like those I had with Velocettes, BSA's, Triumphs etc. :)

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 07:59:59 pm
 Congrats drbvac on the new bike and welcome to the forum. I am very new to RE as well and have just past my 300mile mark on the ol speedo. I started following these threads here quite some while before my purchase of my 2010 C5 and took them for what I believe they are meant to be. As olhogrinder said earlier he doesn't post to complain but to inform. Most of the riders who post often on this sight seem to be that top 1-5 percent of owners who, along with putting much higher miles or K's on their rides then the average owner, also seem to have the desire to understand the SOUL of their bike. My first 300 miles have been uneventful and with the help of these more experienced Guinee pig's, no offense guys, my next 30000 k or m will be as well. I have learned allot about what preventative maintenance i need to be doing to avoid issues. I suggest reading a little deeper into the topics, you'll still find some gripping about this or that, but you will also begin to see that soul searching quality that I found.

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 01:36:42 am

Got Roadriders on your bike eh ?

They're actually the stock Speemaster front and Safety Mileage rear. I've only found the front squirrely on stony pavement, but it has never put me ill-at-ease otherwise, and I ran it with street pressure, 50mph+ on dirt / gravel roads. Does rider weight factor into the experience? I wouldn't say I'm a stick, but I'm small-ish compared to a lot of guys.

For full disclosure, people call me crazy on an almost daily basis, so maybe it's just not registering  ;D

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 02:19:30 am
They're actually the stock Speemaster front and Safety Mileage rear. I've only found the front squirrely on stony pavement, but it has never put me ill-at-ease otherwise, and I ran it with street pressure, 50mph+ on dirt / gravel roads. Does rider weight factor into the experience? I wouldn't say I'm a stick, but I'm small-ish compared to a lot of guys.

For full disclosure, people call me crazy on an almost daily basis, so maybe it's just not registering  ;D

Maybe a set of K 70s would be more of what your looking for.
Just wouldn't last as long, better in the dirt and still good for pavement.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 03:38:59 am
people call me crazy on an almost daily basis,

Welcome to the club   ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.