Author Topic: Fuel Tank/Pump removal  (Read 3529 times)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
on: April 23, 2011, 02:53:32 pm
Has any one as yet removed the fuel pump for cleaning?
I am just preempting a problem here,
When filling up with gas I noticed "bits" of paint coming adrift from around the tank filler. Some perhaps went in with the petrol and may have been doing so unnoticed!
Eventually I'm thinking that the pump filter may want cleaning out.
 If at this stage, the tank is full of petrol, do I (daft question) syphon the petrol out. Or is there some other means of getting all of the petrol out of the tank so as to enable the removal of the pump: (these bikes not having a petrol tank means its not just a case of taking of the hose and transferring petrol into a can)
Last time I syphoned I got a mouth full of petrol !! :P

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 05:27:30 pm
Marrtyn:

When the bike was new, I had hit the petrol pump nozzle a few times to the central rib, immediately below the gas tank cap, that took off bits of paint into the gas tank. I am not so worried about these small bits. I have heard that the fuel pump has a large net that is big enough not to be clogged easily and catches these bits. I have not taken off the fuel pump to actually see it but the information is from one of our Forum members who has done it.

To remove gas (petrol) from gas tank, you can buy a siphon with a pump that can pull out petrol - no need to use mouth. Other option is to run the bike to burn off as much petrol as you can, so that there is only a little bit left in tank. Then raise the rear wheel high so that petrol collects in the front of the fuel tank. Since the fuel pump is at the rear of the fuel tank and petrol is in the front, you can unscrew the fuel pump without petrol coming out of tank.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 11:04:43 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 07:09:58 pm
Why not remove the fuel tank when its half full or less? I've done it a few times. The fuel and tank must weigh less then 15 lbs.Be sure the pet-cock is closed.

Also, when filling your tank, don't shove the metal fuel nozzle into the tank. That is a good way to knock paint off into your tank.I try not to let the fuel nozzle touch anything when refueling.

2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 07:37:57 pm
Why not remove the fuel tank when its half full or less? I've done it a few times. The fuel and tank must weigh less then 15 lbs.Be sure the pet-cock is closed.

Also, when filling your tank, don't shove the metal fuel nozzle into the tank. That is a good way to knock paint off into your tank.I try not to let the fuel nozzle touch anything when refueling.

No petcock on a fuel injected bike. Only an idiotic light.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 07:40:49 pm
Oh.... that makes sense now.

2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 08:35:47 pm
Pull the fuel hose off of the pump outlet, put your OWN hose on it and into a can and just cycle the "ON-OFF" switch until the tank is dry. Then lean the bike over on its side a bit and take the pump out. No need to remove the tank, suck gasoline, stand on your head, etc ......  ::) Get a new o-ring before you start, or IMMEDIATELY put the one that's on there in some ATF to keep it the same size ..... you'll see what I mean what I mean if you re-use it!  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 11:24:46 pm
Pull the fuel hose off of the pump outlet, put your OWN hose on it and into a can and just cycle the "ON-OFF" switch until the tank is dry. Then lean the bike over on its side a bit and take the pump out. No need to remove the tank, suck gasoline, stand on your head, etc ......  ::) Get a new o-ring before you start, or IMMEDIATELY put the one that's on there in some ATF to keep it the same size ..... you'll see what I mean what I mean if you re-use it!  ;)

It is no fun drinking a beer after sucking gasoline from the gas tank  :D !  Thanks for your tip.  

While you are at it - is it necessary to clean fuel pump screen if there are a few small bits of paint in there ? I have left them in there for 2 years ;D.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 05:27:25 pm
Thanks for the sugestions/ideas.
Like the idea that the strainer is big enough to cope with quite a large ammount of "bits".

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 05:42:13 pm
Pull the fuel hose off of the pump outlet, put your OWN hose on it and into a can and just cycle the "ON-OFF" switch until the tank is dry. Then lean the bike over on its side a bit and take the pump out. No need to remove the tank, suck gasoline, stand on your head, etc ......  ::) Get a new o-ring before you start, or IMMEDIATELY put the one that's on there in some ATF to keep it the same size ..... you'll see what I mean what I mean if you re-use it!  ;)
BUT.....if this bike does 80mls. to the gall., will it not take a lot of cycling of the on/of switch, to empty even a partly full tank?  Just a thought!! Or perhaps because the engine is not burning fuel perhaps it just pumps it throe at a rapid "rate of knots". Just another thought!!
Thanks for the idea anyway. By the way whats ATF, should I know this?

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 07:10:48 pm
BUT.....if this bike does 80mls. to the gall., will it not take a lot of cycling of the on/of switch, to empty even a partly full tank?  Just a thought!! Or perhaps because the engine is not burning fuel perhaps it just pumps it throe at a rapid "rate of knots". Just another thought!!
Thanks for the idea anyway. By the way whats ATF, should I know this?

I can usually empty a tank in about a minute and a half - the pump is rated for like 8 gallons per minute. I suppose if you pumped it all out through the INJECTOR - it'd take a little longer - Hahahaha!  ;) ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid ......
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!