Author Topic: Just hit 300 miles...  (Read 7256 times)

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 17, 2008, 10:51:35 pm
    Its a (relatively) gorgeous day here in western Wa. State. Took a little ()28 mile) ride and rolled into the garage right at 300 miles. Thats the mileage I was told I should bring her back for the first checkup. Time to call Vince...

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 12:05:11 am
Jon.
Nice to get out eh?
I managed another 78 miles yesterday (could hardly feel my finger tips as cold and crisp but was still sunny too).
Total mileage up to 980 miles and beginning to let the ol' 500 stretch its legs a bit more now.
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 12:56:03 am
Jon.
Nice to get out eh?
I managed another 78 miles yesterday (could hardly feel my finger tips as cold and crisp but was still sunny too).Total mileage up to 980 miles and beginning to let the ol' 500 stretch its legs a bit more now.
Don't stretch too much LS7... 
                             you've still got a ways to go....           
                                                                        - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 03:29:38 am
well birdmove my bikes is at vinces right now so you should come join us!

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 03:54:37 am
    Whats yours in for, Jon? The first service too? I have Sunday and Monday off, and Vince is closed those days.He told me when I bought it that I could call him ahead and arrange to drop it off on a Monday morning, since hes usually there for a little bit-though they are closed. And then pick it up the following Monday. I emailed him to see about dropping it off in the morning, but haven't heard back. I don't want to load it up and haul it to Lacey if I'm not sure he'll be there.So it'll probably be next Monday.

Take care, Jon in Puyallup
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 08:31:50 am
Hi Mike.
So I reckon that at about 1,350-1,500 miles I should be able to use some more sustained throttle if required. I am now opening it up slightly for short ten to twenty second bursts; not full open of course, on the straight and level so engine is not laboured..... then slowing down a bit again. A standard cruise speed with no variations doesn't do the job of running a bike engine in at all in my books. Taking it out now (in cool UK weather) also helps to keep cylinder head temp reasonable as can be seen by my header pipe which after a clean up with chrome polish after the last time out is staying basically chrome with a slight touch of straw!!!

Ducati 916 'L' twin

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 03:41:19 pm
you can't really put a number on it....     it will feel better at 1,500 that is for sure but then again at 18,000 and the 2,3000 you will still fell it getting better. Vary your shift points; remember that you are running in those gears as well.
            - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 09:06:50 pm
Gear shifts are getting better (though never been bad!) Just feel more click-into-place etc. Good point though.  :D
Did have the clutch stick at first start on Saturday when it was cold outside. Just jumped as I put it into gear and stalled. Freed off straight away on next start.
 I have another set of h/duty clutch springs to fit and some ATF so will do this all together etc. ;D

Ducati 916 'L' twin

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 09:49:20 pm
Hi Lotus7 - that sickening clunk and forward lurch when you engage first gear following first startup of the day.......

Avoid it by pulling in the clutch and kicking the kickstart down a couple of times before your normal startup routine.  You'll feel the sudden loss of resistance when the clutch "breaks" as the plates separate.  Then start up as usual and it won't lurch when you engage first.

Tom
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 09:50:58 pm by Spitting Bull »
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 11:12:45 pm
Thanks Tom.
I'll try that, but it is the first time I have ever had it so got caught out by it this time!!!!!  :o

Ducati 916 'L' twin

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 11:22:31 pm
Mine does it  every day if I don't "break the clutch" first - not enough to pull the bike out of my hands or stall the engine, mind!  Just always a bit noisier and crunchier after the first startup of the day.

They're still fun though!

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 12:24:06 am
    Thats funny, because my Bullet has never done that to me. I've had two Kawasakis that did,or do that every day.One was a 2001 KLR250, the other is my 2005 KLR650.Its a daily  routine for me to put the bike in 1st and rock it with the clutch lever out until the clutch plates break loose.But the Bullet? Hasn't happened yet.

Jon
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 05:10:35 am by birdmove »
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

prof_stack

Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 01:58:07 am
300 miles.  Not bad in our usually soggy weather! 

My Buell passed the 12k mile mark today on a 65 mile jaunt.  Temps in the mid 50's were quite balmy!  One of these Sundays I should meet you at the Green Valley road for a nice ride together.

[old attachment deleted by admin]

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 02:45:17 am
I always pump the kick start a few times with the clutch pulled in and can also feel the plates "break". I believe this also circulates a little oil in the engine as well so seems to be just good start procedure.
    Birdmove, I am having a little non- scheduled maintenance being performed and I am not sure how long it will take so a certain 2007 black deluxe Bullet may very well be there . The red sixty-five that I had a crush on is no longer at Vince's but a beautiful, Whats that deep, deep green color called? Sixty-five is now there. I really like the solid color tank on these bikes.     

abe

Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 03:46:00 am
Birdmove, let me know what my black and chrome deluxe is looking like at Vinces, I am still waiting for my Amal Carb to come in!  Man it was nice too this weekend in Ocean Park, WA.  could of got a lot of beak in miles in.

abe out...
 :-\