Author Topic: Clutch cable change-out... HEY!?  (Read 4081 times)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 21, 2011, 06:17:23 pm
The manual kind of sucks.  Take out the filler plug and there's the clutch cable barrel trapped in some kind of Machiavellian gizmo.  How does this work and how does the barrel come ut?
Run what ya brung

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 07:58:02 pm
Ernie - you have to take the right side cover off the gearbox - unless you an expert at fishing with a dental pick and a small screwdriver - done it - it sucks ..... It's FAR easier to take the cover off. Lay the bike over on the left side on something cushy and save the gear lube as well as making re-assembly easier .....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 11:34:30 pm
So I DO need to take the whole shebang off!
I guess the guy who wrote the manual had dinner waiting for him by then.
Run what ya brung

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 12:52:51 am
Which manual you readin'? The Snidal "Suggestive Repair" one???
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 01:56:40 am
I've done it using the Snidal manual -  I took the whole shebang off.  Your kickers got to come off.  Lots of wrist turning when all is said and done.  

My gearbox cover gasket was stuck to one side and tore apart when I cracked it open.  I had to bolt it up that way until a new one arrived.  I made sure to order my primary's gasket before I got into that side a few months later.  Saved me the frustration.

Cracking the right side cover took a little percussive persuasion.

The replacement cable I ordered had the wrong size nub for the Machiavellian gizmo and would not fit.  Had to wait for another order.

Somethings to consider.  Good luck.

ScooterBob, your "on the road" solution of tipping a Bullet into a sturdy bush to change the cable still makes me grin.  It's horrifying and brilliant.

Boggy
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 01:58:55 am by boggy »
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 02:24:44 am
Which manual you readin'? The Snidal "Suggestive Repair" one???

The factory manual;
4 steps- the first 2 being to loosen the cable at both ends.
3) "Remove the oil filler plug"
4) "Remove the clutch cable other end from the clutch operating mechanism lever & take out the cable."
Below that is a picture of the filler pug gone...

Good thing I already had low self-esteem, so I didn't get suicidal. 
Earl the Pearl changed it for me using the infamous pick and small screw driver operation.  (He has BSA's going back to the early 50's)  (Among other bikes) 
Run what ya brung

Philbomoog

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 01:11:28 pm
I don't want to sound smug but it took me about 10 minutes to change the cable via the '5 speed' cover. It wouldn't surprise me if every bike out there is fitted with different parts at the factory but the nipple on my cable just slotted straight into the slot on the gizmo.

Maybe I was just lucky this time.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 01:42:56 pm
uh-huh...
"Smug" wasn't the word that sprang to mind.
Run what ya brung

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 03:39:22 pm
Well, that sounds about right...  I took several hours over 2 weekends to do a 10 minute job.  Good thing I'm not a surgeon:

"Ok, lets make a 10 inch incision and crack open the chest."
"But Doctor, he's here to get a mole removed."
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 02:27:24 am
Well, as long as we already shaved his chest...

Day freakin THREE tomorrow.
I did indeed need to take t did indeed need to take toe cover off.  Speaking of brain surgery, I was sweating bullets (no pun there- go home to your families) trying not to break the gasket since I know it would take 6 months to get a new one.  Much to my surprise, the oil  that came out looked like crap.  I had JUST put in new Motul tranny oil, too.  Very strange. 

So- the work Earl had done the day before with a pick and small screwdrive had simly fallen down.  Apart.  Not connected.  More "how strange".  So I connected it back up and buttoned it all up.  Put some more tranny oil in and realized about 6 ounces just appeard on the floor.  Fortuneately, I have 3 cats.  (Well, actually UNfortunately, but at least I had lots of kitty litter).  I put the bike on the sidestand and fill the little spaces with oil.  For some reason, I did not put the fill plug back in...
Yank the bike up on the centerstand and find a lake of oil again.  Apparently one overfills when on the sidestand.  Once again there's about $49 dollars of Motul on the floor.

I have a gs tank that did not come with the bike.  Trying to get the tank secured again, I find that I have munched the bolts like a slice of prosciutto wrapped arond a ball of ripe cantaloupe.  Tomorrow will begne with a ride out to Lowes...
On my BMW, this job would have taken an hour- BUT- I've learned for next time.

If I had a handmade basket of assorted flower petals I would get naked and gambol in the yard as I threw scented petals of wonderment into the air.

(not really)
Run what ya brung

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 02:37:11 am
geeze sounds like u having a seance with that machine...all this for a clutch cable...can't wait to change mne...hope all is well and sorry to hear of your loss (motul oil)...
Oh Magoo you done it again

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 03:47:42 am
  Ah for the simpleness of a hydro clutch or an external cable like on the Victory.  When I did the right hand shift conversion cable changing was easier.  Drained the trans, removed the cable from the clutch handle and swung the outer trans cover out of the way so I could dissect it further.

I remember using a needle nose pliers to gently bend the tang out of the way so I could remove the cable from the trans end easier.  I remember the whole conversion only took 4 hours, with scheduled coffee breaks.  But do agree it really would be a b-tch to do roadside without a host of extra tools.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 02:28:44 pm
The ONLY reason the bike is full of Motul right now is that the local distribtor lives down the block.
I have to say I was shocked at how dirty the oil was.  I had changed it only a couple hundred miles ago with Motul, and the old oil that came out just looked normal.  After running the Motul- y'Ouch!  So I don't know if that short run wih Motul really cleaned up in there, or created the mess.  It sure costs a lot more than Lucas of Valvoline, though... (in stores)

Epilog;
I'm now not so sure I needed to change the cable.  I think maybe i just needed to adjust the clutch inside the "5 Speed: plate.   a-HAhahahahaha-
(what a maroon...)
Run what ya brung

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 03:50:30 pm
well if thats the case u have a spare just in case... ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 04:16:01 pm
  And you know the easier approach in the future.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 11:36:01 pm
 After a bit of practice a clutch cable change on the road side is indeed a five to ten minute job if you have needle nose pliers.

Replacing cables every two weeks got old until I did the clutch release arm mod.

Here's a link for next time you have the side cover off
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,9395.0.html

Mine is the only bike I know of so far that needed it.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 12:38:46 am
Just lookng at the pictures;
So much simpler and straight forward.  The stock set-up must have been a committee job.

Come to think of it, the same committee that invented the spelling for Mississippi designed the word committee?   :-* ::) >:( :D ;D ;)

Just catching up on some smiley faces...
Run what ya brung