Author Topic: Will I be comfortable on a new RE?  (Read 5278 times)

chukzelda

• Scooter
on: April 21, 2011, 10:34:01 am
HI,

I've been reading about the REs for some years and am currently contemplating getting one.  I've been riding motorcycles for many years and like both the looks and simplicity of the RE line.  The introduction of the fuel injected engine has covered my concern of minimal horsepower for my hilly area.

My typical riding habits are;

1.  30 mile round trip to work
2.  Going out for an hour ride each weekend day as a way to relax

The round trip to work is on a 2 lane divided highway but I live in the country and there is hardly any cars on it.  Weekend cruises are down winding country roads.

I'm 6' 1", 180lbs with a 34" inseam.  My question is - will I feel cramped on a new RE?

Thnaks
Chuk

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 11:30:18 am
I would say probably not. I'm 160 pounds and 5'10" with a 32" inseam. Last weekend I put 500 miles on a G5 in three days. About 10 miles of that wasn't even paved.

The Bullet will soak up winding roads with bliss, but if your commute takes you over 65MPH for a significant amount of time, you're barking up the wrong tree.
2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 12:25:52 pm
On a C5, I can scoot back a bit onto the factory passenger seat to get comfy.
On a G5, things are better due to the longer seat.
Personal taste can be met with using C5 handlebars on a G5 and vice versa.

On any bike, adjusting the shifter up or down, adjusting the hand controls and bars a bit should be one of the first things you do when you get home.
A good dealer will do the control tweaking when you buy your bike.

Best is to test ride both and see what fits you. I'm 6' 4" with 30" inseam stubby legs so the low boy frame suits me just fine. Not having my knees up in my armpits is nice for long rides too.
The foot pegs are rather forward so that's another plus for bigger riders.
Let's do this!
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 02:23:59 pm
6' 180lbs.  Perfectly comfortable on many long road trips.  I have to remind myself to pull my shoulders down, I don't know why but I tend to pull them up to my ears.  Plenty of room on the bike for long legged creatures such as ourselves.

Sam
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 07:39:22 pm
  With 5,000 miles, 18 tooth sprocket, and TPS tweaking, my 2009 G-5 is more than happy at extended freeway speeds, smoother. It all depends on what your riding style and comfort level is. A cruiser, it's not, but that's the point. I would and don't have a problem. I'm 5'7", 160 #, 30" inseam, Lysette solo seat ( slightly taller).

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 07:57:53 pm
The c5 will do highways, but I avoid them at all costs. Its the perfect back roader, and handles quite well, but its on the verge of scary at high speeds.

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 08:25:40 pm
I am about your same size, 6' 1" 175 lbs. 34 inseam, and I am comfortable on long rides on my G5. The bike is maybe a tad small for someone our height but not uncomfortable at all. My G5 does fine on the highways doing 65-75 MPH.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 03:08:21 am by Chris-G5 »

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 02:24:29 am
The c5 will do highways, but I avoid them at all costs. Its the perfect back roader, and handles quite well, but its on the verge of scary at high speeds.

That's why I never go over 90mph (indicated) ;)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 08:31:43 am
Hiho chukselda!
The way you´re about to use your bike sounds like taken from a RE commercial - ideally suited. You can push her up to 80 miles on a highway, but if 65 will do you´ll drive a happier bike.
So C5 or G5/B5? The only way to tell is to test it on the living object. The C5´s solo seat is hell to my backside, but there are really folks out there who consider that as comfortable, and even are able to go hundreds of miles per day. However, I prefer the G5´s bench, because I can glide easier forwards and backwards in order to change my riding position.
The handling differs aswell. As you can read in many postings the C5 is more on the nimble side whereas G5 (and probably B5, too) are a bit more stable at higher speeds.
So you´ll have to test what suits best - have a test ride and report to us. Have fun!
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

chukzelda

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 10:07:30 am
Wow!

Thanks for all the helpful advice.  I had no idea the RE forum was so active.  Makes me feel even better about plunging into an RE of my own.  The nearest RE dealer to me is 150 miles, so I'm trying to gather all the info I can before making the ride over on a warmer day.

I honestly will not be taking day rides or overnight trips while the kids are growing up.  6 years from now will be a different story, but right now, back and forth to work and the weekend cruises (1-2 hours) are what it's about for me.

Appears the G5 is what I should be focusing on.  I really like the looks of the solo seat but have suspected it is not as comfortable as a bench.  Hopefully the dealer will not mind some test rides.

Given the distance to the dealer, how do I handle warranty work?  I don't own a trailer.  I don't mind turning a wrench myself if there is a decent repair manual to follow.  Any advice?

Thanks
Chuk

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 11:57:38 am
Interesting discussion.   And that last question interests me too>  I am actually (depending on whether I am at my winter or summer location ) either 2 or 8 hours away from my nearrest dealer, and I doubt (in Northern Ontario) that that is going to change anytime soon, so for me as well , the only practical way to use a warranty (  especially if the problem immobilizes the bike) would be to do my own diagnostics and send parts by courier.   Obviously that level of flexibility would have to be worked out with the individual dealer, but the question is, with a manual in hand and some time , can the average rider , guided by a dealer accomplish this.  ? 
Where I have come to is I really love these bikes and have no concerns about the mechanicals at all, or , for that matter , about the practical performance limitations.It is all down to electrics now. because with my distances, I can't see running back and forth to fiddle with electrical fixes no matter how good the warranty is . ( and I completely believe Kevin's statement that RE stands behind their product) .  I am actually hoping that the glitches whatever they are, get sorted out at the factory end to reduce the occurrence of problems.  And, maybe the problems are really very few and ex agerated on a forum like this---lots of guys could be riding completely problem free and just never chime in. 

Unrelated to that I have a couple of other questions from this post:
1) Chris G 5:    What seat is that that you have on your bike in the little thumbnail  picture ?   Looks great.

2)jjoe256   What did you do behind your lisette seat to deal with the "dreaded G 5 frame' over the rear fender ?

Thanks Nigel

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 01:25:51 pm
@Nigel

I have the tan Deluxe Solo Seat from Nfield Gear. I also have the oval rear rack over the rear fender sub-frame.

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 02:50:49 pm
Hello And Welcome,chukzelda,
          Just to let you know, I own a new 2010 G5 Deluxe and now have 1500 miles on it. I have had ZERO problems with it. Runs great and leaks no oil ! I'd recommend the 18 tooth upgrade to put the engine in a more comfortable RPM range. Get use to drawing crowds where ever you stop !

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 03:59:32 pm
Welcome! On Tuesday I rode 400 miles on my C5. I can't tell you how impressed I am with my dealer. That said, it is possible my electrical problems were caused by the dealer installed battery tender "pigtail". My problems were looked into by the president of the company and fixed by my dealer.  What other company does that? As Al (Fresno) said, they are not perfect.

I find that riding in jeans I can go all day but with my Joe Rocket overpants the seat can get a little uncomfortable after an hour or so of freeway droning. I have had the same experience on other bikes. By putting my feet on the passenger pegs for I while I change riding position for relief. These bikes are not made for that kind of ride, but sometimes you just have to.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 04:04:47 pm
That said, it is possible my electrical problems were caused by the dealer installed battery tender "pigtail

can u elaborate...its just one end that have eyelets that feed thru the battery bolts and a plastic umbilical cord that has a cover that snaps in place where u would interconnect the battery tender..what could they have done wrong?
Oh Magoo you done it again