Author Topic: Best Headlight Option..?  (Read 14690 times)

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: May 19, 2011, 09:05:58 pm
Here is that halogen version of the stock sealed bulb:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=H4467&um=1&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17701396227423033191&sa=X&ei=u3fVTaXaNsmdgQeB05CuBw&ved=0CEYQ8wIwAA&biw=1280&bih=675#

it's bulb number is H4467.  If you take out your stock bulb it should say 4467 on the back part, meaning that it's a standard incandescent of that bulb size/rating.

Apparently the halogen isn't a huge improvement from stock, but at least it's something...

chuck

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: May 26, 2011, 03:52:28 am
So today was the first non-rainy day in two weeks, and this is the first time I've actually sat on my bike since the installation of my 7"...

Results:

The 7" wagner incandescent is phenomenal.  It is no comparison to the stock bulb.  While I was weary to exceed 30 mph at night with the stock bulb I felt totally comfortable cruising at 50 mph for two hours this evening, back roads, highways, rural wooded corridors, everything.  The peripheral lighting is pretty good too and much much better than the stock bulb.

If you're even considering going to the 7", and do any night riding at all, DO IT!!

Better yet is this bulb I've installed is supposedly one of the weaker 7 inchers you can do, but I don't currently see a need to go brighter.

Cheers to all and thanks for the help!

Chuck

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #47 on: May 26, 2011, 05:56:49 am
A 7" light is nice innit ?  ;) ;D 8)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: May 26, 2011, 08:20:49 pm
Tru dat. 

kodai

• Scooter
Reply #49 on: June 08, 2011, 05:09:33 pm
To all of you  that have gone to switch controled headlites.  why when i pulled that jumper did my 09 g5 run till using hl switch or turn sig then bike just dies ?  when put back in runs fine

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: June 08, 2011, 05:13:17 pm
All H4 bulbs are not created equal, as can be noted by the prices. The Tribar comes with an Adjure lamp which is under $10.00 on the web. Its low beam is worse than the 5-3/4" low beam. Almost entirely useless. The high beam is better. I have replaced it with a PIAA lamp of the same wattage, (circa 40 on the web), but according to their hype, much brighter. It looks a lot better in the garage, but I haven't gotten it out for a road test yet. Gets dark too late around here this time of the year. Some things are better left for the winter months! As soon as I get it out at night I will report the results.
Bare
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:16:43 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: June 08, 2011, 05:34:29 pm
To all of you  that have gone to switch controled headlites.  why when i pulled that jumper did my 09 g5 run till using hl switch or turn sig then bike just dies ?  when put back in runs fine

How is your battery electrolyte level and charge?  Just a very uneducated guess...  but i have no idea why it would've done that.  I have an AVL... maybe the UCE bikes have something funky about them...  is the electronic fuel injection for some reason reliant on your headlamp circuit??

Anyone else out there do the headlight switch activation on a UCE? 

Hopefully someone with actual knowledge will chime in... ???

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: June 08, 2011, 09:30:52 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhQUNMKRix4

Have you looked at this video? I followed it and my G5 works great.
Are you sure the connectors are oriented properly?
Bare
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:33:24 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

kodai

• Scooter
Reply #53 on: June 09, 2011, 04:21:16 am
 Batt was new and fully charged..  that is the jumper removed, so the switch shoulda worked.  the only change to bike made since factory. with change , bike dies,go back to original all works

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: June 09, 2011, 05:53:02 pm
I took the Beast out last night to check the PIAA lamp. Amazing improvement over the Adjure. I can actually see light on the road and tell where the beam is going. The low beam runs pretty much parallel to the ground so I need to work out a system to get it adjusted down a bit.
Just to get a real idea about how bad the Adjure is, while driving down the road and passing street lights I could see my shadow on the street where the light was supposed to have been shining. Cars coming up behind me lit up the road better that my light did, again with my shadow showing ahead of me. I guess you get what you pay for when it comes to halogen lamps.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: June 09, 2011, 07:33:59 pm
Good to know bare, I'm happily impressed with the normal sealed beam 7" (tremendous improvement over my stock 5 3/4) but there's always room for improvement.  I also like the idea of going H4 so i can carry a spare bulb in the toolbox

chuck