Author Topic: Best Headlight Option..?  (Read 14688 times)

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 20, 2011, 05:00:46 am
Generally unimpressed by my headlamp's performance, I've been looking in depth into my options here tonight.  I do a lot of night riding and it seems like i'm riding past my headlamp's range at only 30 mph.  Don't wanna go hot-rodding, but i DO like to see.

My electra parts catalog says my stock bulb is the 12v 60/55w sealed halogen.  That's the same bulb as comes with the 7" conversion kits.

People rave about the 7" lamp and it's performance, but isn't it only the reflector that would make any difference from my current set-up?  I agree that it looks way cooler than the stock fitting, but if possible i'd like to not spend 100 bucks... Also, can it make that big of a difference for the 7" if it's only the reflector that's changing, all bulbs staying the same?

Also suggested was this replacement bulb for the stock fitting:  The Sylvania H4ST Silverstar...   http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-H4ST-BP-SilverStar-Performance/dp/B000AM8BN6?tag=vglnk-c357-20

On the other hand, I read the entire rant on Daniel Stern's Lighting website http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/disadvantages/disadvantages.html explaining about lighting color/contrast and why HID's aren't all they're chalked up to be.  Would the Silverstar bulb from above lead me more in the direction that Daniel Stern is warning me about?

I've read that a more complicated method would be to replace the wiring and electrics with something beefier and then use a higher wattage bulb, but that sounds too technical for me at the moment.

What other (and DIY) options have people done, and what options seem like they'd lead to the best performing headlamp?  Facts and opinions both welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 01:20:12 pm
I think it is mostly the 7" reflector.   Its deeper and has significantly more area to focus the light were you need it.    It makes a big difference,   I was riding late last night and have to say I am very happy with the 7" setup.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 01:28:44 pm
Hi Br. chuck,

Given an equal light source, the reflector and lens do make all the difference in the world.

Your stock sealed beam and the 7" unit in the catalog may consume the same number of watts of electricity in making light but are two cats of different stripes as far as the usability of that light.

A decent 7" is the way to go hands down.

The stock 5 3/4" unit is disposable. Good 7" motorcycle and E code models use replaceable bulbs and will outperform virtually any 5 3/4" out there.

A couple advantages of replaceable bulb systems are spares are easy to carry and you have the option to fine tune output color temperature and to some extent beam throw pattern.

Beam throw patterns that I have observed from the Bosch, Hella and Lucas units are very nice for our purposes with good forward projection, sharp horizontal cut off and decent side diffusion.

The tri bar looked to be throwing fairly well too but I had not the chance to really wring it out.

I do understand cost being a factor. Home brewed 7" and even 5 3/4" lighting conversions can be done and done well if your handy and resourceful and patient.

As a note the Japanese round motorcycle head lights of yesteryear I.E. Koto, Stanley etc., had a much steeper angle of separation between high and low beam than European lamps of the same era. I'm not saying that's bad, just something to take into consideration when planing a lighting mod.

When it comes to ready made after market illumination systems I avoid diamond and PIAA brands like the plague, poor performance and quality IMHO.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 03:14:16 pm
So say I get the $20 bulb on my link above... it'll probably be a temporary improvement.  Then in a few months if I upgrade to a 7" i can still use that bulb in it right, and can at least experiment to see if i like that bulb or the one that comes with the 7" conversion kit?

If i go with a 7", what are peoples' preferences here?  There are like 4 different options in the nfield gear catalog... or are they mostly the same as alluded to in Ice's above post?

Conflicting opinions welcome...

cheers,

chuck

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 04:31:13 pm
My suggestion is go to fleabay motors and type in "Enfield Headlight" and "Enfield Headlamp" and see what happens. 
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 11:35:10 pm
Looks like fleabay's got a couple of good options but most of them are located in india.  i think to expedite things i might just pick up something through nfield gear as my dealer (mainly dealing in boats) doesn't stock or deal in accessories or upgrades.

What's everyone's favorite 7" that our host sells?

Also, would anyone recommend getting the sylvania bulb listed above as a temporary fix to my stock setup?

Chuck

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 12:09:17 am
Call nfield first and see what they have in stock. When I got mine they ONLY had the conversion rings. If you can get the pre-assembled one, that's what I would do.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 02:35:09 am

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 02:46:24 am
Now I want that Indian headlight. I can't find one anywhere. My interweb skillz are lacking. The pre-assembled comes with a Mindra 7" H4. Tried google, bing, ebay and even ebay.in. No luck.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 01:01:04 pm
Thanks, I'll give nfield gear a call later today and see what theyve got layin around.  Do you folks recommend the preassembled lamp just because of simplicity of installation?  My main concern here is visability and headlamp performance and I wouldn't mind a slightly more difficult installation if it'll be a better end product.

walken4life

• Bulleteer
  • 2002 Bullet Deluxe
Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 02:03:15 pm
I also ordered the pre-assembled 7" kit from our hosts a few months ago.  I really love the look of it overall on the bike.  Have not ridden at night with it yet.  Some folks say the stock bulb that comes with it could be brighter, and that they end up replacing it with an aftermarket H4 bulb.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 02:56:17 pm
Now I want that Indian headlight. I can't find one anywhere. My interweb skillz are lacking. The pre-assembled comes with a Mindra 7" H4. Tried google, bing, ebay and even ebay.in. No luck.
I wonder....

Linky <=========

On both my bikes I bought the parts separately and cobbled them together.  I am cheep like that, anything to save a buck.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 03:34:34 pm
What about that Tribar option from NField?
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 03:45:47 pm
That doesn't include a bucket and brackets/headlight ears.

Nice thing for the wish list.  In the mean time I'll eat more carrots.
Run what ya brung

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 06:23:24 pm
I wonder....

Linky <=========

On both my bikes I bought the parts separately and cobbled them together.  I am cheep like that, anything to save a buck.

Not it but I found what I was looking for and more! Thanks!

DNash

• Idiot
  • Bulleteer
  • '01 Military - "Rocinante"
Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 07:28:55 pm
I had the 7" pre-assembled headlamp on my previous Enfield. I loved the result - it looked great and put out a big swath of light, great for evening/nighttime rides. I don't think I had $100 worth of love for it, though. On Rocinante, I'll probably stick with the 5 3/4" for a while, until I can cobble up a 7" solution for a bit less money.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 09:00:10 pm
Thanks, and i appreciate the conflicting opinions.... right now i think i'm gonna cheap out and go for the H4 bulb.  it'll be a definite improvement from my stock setup, and i'll still be able to use it's supreme brightness power once i upgrade to a 7".  unless i go crazy and place a big couple hundred dollar order to our hosts in the next few weeks, just saying it's a possibility  ;)

cheers

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 08:21:16 pm
There is a very good bulb from OSRAM. The H4-version with 60/55W is called NIGHT BREAKER P43T. That´s a pretty accurate description about what it does. I´m using the H7-version in my cab aswell and am really satified with the output. I´ll update about the life expectancy, all I can say yet is that it´s still burning  :)
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 06:02:46 am
Got talked into the PIAA crazy mega ultra bright bulb thingie today at the shop... a little pricey but apparently it really lives up to its name... still pouring down rain here, so hoping i can try it out tomorrow evening.  Still love the look of the 7inchers, so maybe next paycheck...   ;)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 01:37:38 am
Thanks, I'll give nfield gear a call later today and see what theyve got layin around.  Do you folks recommend the preassembled lamp just because of simplicity of installation?  My main concern here is visability and headlamp performance and I wouldn't mind a slightly more difficult installation if it'll be a better end product.

While the Pre assembled has all the parts needed my reason for liking it is the performance.
 It does a very nice job of illuminating the road throwing greater quantities of light in a useful projection pattern and is noticeably more visible to oncoming traffic from greater distances than a 5 3/4 unit.

BuckeyeBullet

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 04:42:33 am
I spent about $35 on my headlight. It's a 7" Minda from India. Not pre-assembled and no instructions, but once I figured out which way the alignment springs go it was a piece of cake to install and has worked well for over a year now. Literally a bolt-on part. My one complaint is that unlike the 5-3/4" it cannot be aimed. There's only about a millimeter of vertical adjustment available, but the beam is pretty much in the right spot. The chrome bezel pieces also start rusting within weeks of daily riding, but if you keep on the polishing, it won't be too bad.

Check out eBay item #140537505606 for the bezel. I bought a light assembly from Bulletwala as well, and it takes a standard H4 bulb. I put in a Sylvania H4 and kept the Indian one as a spare, but it works the same. That seller has consistently shipped what I bought, and it usually arrives within 2 weeks, which is an awful lot more than I can say about Nfield Gear.
1965 Dodge Coronet 500
2008 RE Bullet 500ES
1943 Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk I

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 05:10:07 am
New developments:  Just got back from outside where I was attempting to mount the new h4 bulb I bought a few days ago... (midnight again EST) and found that my electra doesn't have the housing for an H4 bulb.  It's a big self contained bulb that has a huge glass shell, much like a flood light bulb, where the reflector and shatter resistant shield are both part of the bulb itself.  On it was written:

Wagner 12.8V 4467 DOTMN07 50/35W A7

I'm about to do a search for what that all means, but I'm guessing it pretty much means chuck's gonna have to spring for one of those 7 inchers.  Thanks for all the links btw, i'll look more closely into them when I'm at work tomorrow   ;D

Hoping that I can put the 7" conversion on my electra, looks like nothing is as it seems, or as you'd assume it to be on the electra AVL.

Anyone else have this bulb stock?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 07:27:17 am
You have the standard sealed beam that is factory fitment on all US spec models.

Wagner     Manufacturer
12.8V        Design voltage
 4467         Industry standard bulb I.D. number for the lamp

DOTMN07  Means it meets DOT specs

50/35W    The Hi/Lo wattage

A7           I don't remember this one off the top of my head
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 07:45:03 am by Ice »

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 03:00:57 pm
So am i correct that to upgrade my headlamp I need to do the 7"? 

Also, the 7" conversion WILL work with my bike, right?

Lastly, do all the 7" converstions take the H4 bulb?  I need to return this pricey bulb in the next few days if I'm going to do so... also if they'll give me a cash refund I might rather put that cash towards a 7" conversion and then upgrade to that bulb farther down the road if necessary.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 05:32:36 pm
This drove me nuts for a while. The conversion kit from nfieldgear is a pair of rings and some spring clips. There are no instructions and there is no adjusting plate! The rings will hold any 7" bulb except the one I bought. The clear lens/faceted reflector one from ebay. You can put in a sealed beam, DOT approved bulb. Better than the 5 3/4" sealed beam but not as good as an H4. Those have the glass and reflector as a unit with a big hole in the back for the actual bulb. This gives you a choice of bulbs. You may be tempted to go high wattage, but don't! I wouldn't trust the wiring with any more than 60 watts. Some H4 bulbs intrude into the stuff that is already in the headlight shell, like wiring and speedo cable. I don't have the H4 yet so I don't know for sure but I'll post a pic when it gets here.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 05:59:33 pm
Very good to know, olhogrider.

It seems this headlamp thing is getting more complicated than I'd imagined...

So I think what I want (unless someone can convince me otherwise) is a 7" headlamp that takes the H4 bulb, giving me the most versatility and options overall.

Anyone know where I can find such a monstrosity?  The nfield gear listings are vague, and ebay is proving even worse.

tanker

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 07:09:13 pm
Superchuck,
Basically any replacement headlamp listed as a "sealed beam" will not have a replaceable bulb, eliminating options for a different wattage bulb without replacing the whole lamp.  They also require a complete lamp replacement if you suffer a failure, while a lamp that uses the H4 allow you to carry a spare and easily replace a failed bulb on the side of the road.  While you can find the stock sealed beam at some auto parts stores, you know that the bulb will only fail after the stores close and you are far from home.  Carrying a reasonably inexpensive spare H4 is a good option when you only have one headlight.  As far as the headlamp upgrades in NField Gear, most of them appear to be of the replaceable bulb type.  My preference is for the Tri-Bar.  Granted that does require the separate mounting kit, so it runs your cost up around $170.  But, it is a great looking lamp and I have been happy with the light output.  I have included a link to an installation guide I added after mounting mine.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,3210.0.html

One other note is that the 7" conversion does not allow for headlight adjustment, hence the "Not DOT approved" warning.  If you get real creative, you can make minor  adjustments, but you don't have the standard adjustment screws found on the stock lamp assembly.

Good luck.
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 07:56:31 pm
Tanker, the tribar headlamp on the website says it 'has a blue dot center and is 55/60 watts' which leads me to believe it is a sealed beam type... or is that just the stock halogen H4 bulb that ships with it?

This is all starting to become a little clearer...

tanker

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: April 26, 2011, 08:53:01 pm
The TriBar has a replaceable H4 bulb.  One element of the original bulb in mine burned out shortly after installation (might have been vibration from shipping/handling) and it was an easy replacement.  If I had been forced to replace the whole lamp at almost $100.00, I would have been upset to say the least.  The "blue dot" is at the center of the bulb where the three bars converge-not sure why they do that, but it looks nice.  If you read my installation link, you will see that I also added the visor.  The combination, I think, adds to the bike's appearance.  The nice thing about the replacement bulb, as I noted before, is you can carry one in your saddlebag along with some of the other necessities, and you can experiment with other bulbs, like the Sylvania (Osram) Silver Star.  Since I converted all other bulbs on the bike to LED's, the H4 is the only replacement bulb I carry.
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: April 27, 2011, 03:52:31 am
Cool,

so this sounds like a good plan.  I dont' really want to spend 170 for a headlamp, but maybe i will.  i want to go 7" so i'll just search around and see what my options are for unsealed 7's,

BUT in the meantime, I believe I caught word that I can get a halogen version of my stock sealed bulb... I'm assuming this would at least be an improvement, and I can't see that costing more than like ten bucks...

Anyone every try that method?    H4467 I thing it's called...?  Or is this not even worth my pennies?

Thanks again for all the great help btw!

chuck

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: April 27, 2011, 05:46:31 am
Chuck,
The Indian Minda 7" light (labeled E4) with a Sylvania silverstar H4 bulb actually works quite well. Might be more cost effective in the long run to buy one preassembled with the mounting ring from nField gear or Bulletwala. I got one with my C5 and it works quite well.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: April 27, 2011, 02:10:43 pm

Anyone every try that method?    H4467 I thing it's called...?  Or is this not even worth my pennies?

I ran one for a few months,  IMO don't waste your money.   

A good 5 3/4" < a mediocre 7".
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 02:50:59 pm
The TriBar has a replaceable H4 bulb. 

It does...??? Didn't know that... will have to check in my next go 'round of tinkering... always thought it was an expensive throwaway... ;D

Mike and S&S in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 07:25:39 pm
Thanks for all the replies, I'm leaning towards the method GSS mentioned above. 

When my parked bike fell over in a storm a few months ago the outer chrome ring of my 5 3/4 got a dent in it.  Something that I definitely want to remedy, and a 7" would do just that, AND solve my lighting issues. 

Thanks for the heads up Garbone, cause I would definitely have wasted some flow on that one.

chuck

tanker

• Scooter
Reply #34 on: April 28, 2011, 02:04:11 pm
Mike and Stumpy,
Unless they have changed the TriBar since I bought mine two years ago, it does have a replaceable bulb, and you can find the H4 in any autoparts store.  The original on mine burned out almost immediately, but the replacement has been good ever since. I carry a spare for roadside replacement if necessary.  If it weren't replaceable, you would be absolutely correct, an expensive throw away.
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: April 28, 2011, 03:54:01 pm
Generally speaking, do you experts and commentators think the tri-bar is all it's chalked up to be, or should I go for a cheaper (but just as good performing) other 7" setup?  IMO the H4 replaceable is a plus, but i can also find that in a standard 7"....

thanks!

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: April 28, 2011, 04:11:21 pm
I ran a wagner 7" bulb for quite a few months.  The little black reflector fell off and rattled around in there almost the first day I used it but the bulb worked fine.    Watched fleabay and got 2 tribars cheep from a bike shop that was going out of business.   Actually,  I still have a used 7" wagner bulb on my bench,  I will send it to you for the price of shipping if you pm me your address.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #37 on: April 28, 2011, 07:56:33 pm
Mike and Stumpy,
Unless they have changed the TriBar since I bought mine two years ago, it does have a replaceable bulb, and you can find the H4 in any autoparts store. 

Thanks, Tanker... I'm gonna check it this weekend... while I'm doing oil changes and such since THE WEATHER HAS BEEN TOTAL CRAP... sorry for the shouting... ;)

My bikes go great in the mud and slop and cold... its the rider... ::)

Mike and S&S in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: April 29, 2011, 04:11:36 pm
So i'm thinking i'll take The Garbone up on his generous offer and get the conversion kits from nfield gear... that'll at least get me moving in the 7" area and I can swap in a few different bulbs over the months and see for myself what all the hooplah's about. 

many thanks guys,

chuck

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: April 30, 2011, 04:29:54 am
I can swap in a few different bulbs over the months and see for myself what all the hooplah's about. 

And so it begins  ;)

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: May 10, 2011, 04:34:29 pm
7" mounting rings and visor just arrived via DHL... and the bulb a few days ago.  Probably get at it tonight and post photos of intallation/lighting pattern.

Thanks again everyone!

chuck

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: May 17, 2011, 02:55:00 am
Finally got a rain-free evening and got it all hooked up.  Going to try to post some pics as well so we'll see how this works...

In the one photo I'm pointing to where the 3" cable was removed (by me) prior to installing the headlamp.  The cable that used to connect the red and black plugs is used in America to bypass your headlight controls (on right hand control clusters, similar to your turn signal switch)

Thanks again to The Garbone for donating the bulb to my cause!

Thanks to Kona (dog) for moral support and for getting hair all over my riding gear.

Lastly if anyone else is doing this 7" conversion, you NEED to read the thread linked above about mounting the 7" Tri-Bar Headlight (process is same for wagner bulb)

Cheers!

Chuck

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: May 17, 2011, 03:01:31 am
Very nice...   

Was rummaging around in the garage yesterday and found 2 more of those bulbs.   Gonna save them to put on the Crusader.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Cappy

• Scooter
Reply #43 on: May 19, 2011, 07:40:59 pm
Hello, all.  This headlight subject is quite interesting.  I'm a decent mechanical guy but I "Hate" dealing with electrics.  It's my understanding that the "stock" 5-3/4 inch headlamp is a sealed beam meaning I cannot replace just the bulb with a brighter one.  Am I correct?  Also I purchased a 5-3/4 inch visor from our host.  No instructions, of course.  It seems the only way to mount it is a press fit between the inner and outer rims.  I've tried it a dozen times - there's just not enough clearance.  Perhaps I will have to "skim off" a little of the outer rim's inside edge to make it fit.  Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: May 19, 2011, 09:01:43 pm
The sealed beam means the glass unit (bulb) is the entire bulb.  Some aftermarket lamps have a glass front, reflector back, but feed a tiny bulb through it.  Sorry i'm still new to this all myself.

You can get a Halogen sealed beam to replace your bulb which will be a little brighter...  but as you read above, "a mediocre 7" bulb is better than a great 5 3/4." 

I put the visor on my 7" setup... it might be a little different on my new headlamp, but here's what i would do if i were you:

take the front headlamp ring off... i think that's just by the one tiny screw at the bottom.  It was a b1tch to get back in, fyi.

Take that part out and it should come right off of the front.  Feed your visor in through the back of that piece... i had to flex mine a bit then it stayed in place fairly well. 

Make sure it's on straight then put that front headlamp rim back on the bike.

Not sure if that helps at all, but mine was pretty easy.  Hardest part was using the 'clips' to mount the 7" bulb to the front rim (something you don't have to do on the stock setup because the bulb is attached to that spring-mounted thing)

best of luck!

chuck

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: May 19, 2011, 09:05:58 pm
Here is that halogen version of the stock sealed bulb:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=H4467&um=1&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17701396227423033191&sa=X&ei=u3fVTaXaNsmdgQeB05CuBw&ved=0CEYQ8wIwAA&biw=1280&bih=675#

it's bulb number is H4467.  If you take out your stock bulb it should say 4467 on the back part, meaning that it's a standard incandescent of that bulb size/rating.

Apparently the halogen isn't a huge improvement from stock, but at least it's something...

chuck

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: May 26, 2011, 03:52:28 am
So today was the first non-rainy day in two weeks, and this is the first time I've actually sat on my bike since the installation of my 7"...

Results:

The 7" wagner incandescent is phenomenal.  It is no comparison to the stock bulb.  While I was weary to exceed 30 mph at night with the stock bulb I felt totally comfortable cruising at 50 mph for two hours this evening, back roads, highways, rural wooded corridors, everything.  The peripheral lighting is pretty good too and much much better than the stock bulb.

If you're even considering going to the 7", and do any night riding at all, DO IT!!

Better yet is this bulb I've installed is supposedly one of the weaker 7 inchers you can do, but I don't currently see a need to go brighter.

Cheers to all and thanks for the help!

Chuck

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: May 26, 2011, 05:56:49 am
A 7" light is nice innit ?  ;) ;D 8)

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: May 26, 2011, 08:20:49 pm
Tru dat. 

kodai

• Scooter
Reply #49 on: June 08, 2011, 05:09:33 pm
To all of you  that have gone to switch controled headlites.  why when i pulled that jumper did my 09 g5 run till using hl switch or turn sig then bike just dies ?  when put back in runs fine

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: June 08, 2011, 05:13:17 pm
All H4 bulbs are not created equal, as can be noted by the prices. The Tribar comes with an Adjure lamp which is under $10.00 on the web. Its low beam is worse than the 5-3/4" low beam. Almost entirely useless. The high beam is better. I have replaced it with a PIAA lamp of the same wattage, (circa 40 on the web), but according to their hype, much brighter. It looks a lot better in the garage, but I haven't gotten it out for a road test yet. Gets dark too late around here this time of the year. Some things are better left for the winter months! As soon as I get it out at night I will report the results.
Bare
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:16:43 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: June 08, 2011, 05:34:29 pm
To all of you  that have gone to switch controled headlites.  why when i pulled that jumper did my 09 g5 run till using hl switch or turn sig then bike just dies ?  when put back in runs fine

How is your battery electrolyte level and charge?  Just a very uneducated guess...  but i have no idea why it would've done that.  I have an AVL... maybe the UCE bikes have something funky about them...  is the electronic fuel injection for some reason reliant on your headlamp circuit??

Anyone else out there do the headlight switch activation on a UCE? 

Hopefully someone with actual knowledge will chime in... ???

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: June 08, 2011, 09:30:52 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhQUNMKRix4

Have you looked at this video? I followed it and my G5 works great.
Are you sure the connectors are oriented properly?
Bare
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:33:24 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

kodai

• Scooter
Reply #53 on: June 09, 2011, 04:21:16 am
 Batt was new and fully charged..  that is the jumper removed, so the switch shoulda worked.  the only change to bike made since factory. with change , bike dies,go back to original all works

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: June 09, 2011, 05:53:02 pm
I took the Beast out last night to check the PIAA lamp. Amazing improvement over the Adjure. I can actually see light on the road and tell where the beam is going. The low beam runs pretty much parallel to the ground so I need to work out a system to get it adjusted down a bit.
Just to get a real idea about how bad the Adjure is, while driving down the road and passing street lights I could see my shadow on the street where the light was supposed to have been shining. Cars coming up behind me lit up the road better that my light did, again with my shadow showing ahead of me. I guess you get what you pay for when it comes to halogen lamps.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: June 09, 2011, 07:33:59 pm
Good to know bare, I'm happily impressed with the normal sealed beam 7" (tremendous improvement over my stock 5 3/4) but there's always room for improvement.  I also like the idea of going H4 so i can carry a spare bulb in the toolbox

chuck