Author Topic: Best Headlight Option..?  (Read 14648 times)

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 20, 2011, 05:00:46 am
Generally unimpressed by my headlamp's performance, I've been looking in depth into my options here tonight.  I do a lot of night riding and it seems like i'm riding past my headlamp's range at only 30 mph.  Don't wanna go hot-rodding, but i DO like to see.

My electra parts catalog says my stock bulb is the 12v 60/55w sealed halogen.  That's the same bulb as comes with the 7" conversion kits.

People rave about the 7" lamp and it's performance, but isn't it only the reflector that would make any difference from my current set-up?  I agree that it looks way cooler than the stock fitting, but if possible i'd like to not spend 100 bucks... Also, can it make that big of a difference for the 7" if it's only the reflector that's changing, all bulbs staying the same?

Also suggested was this replacement bulb for the stock fitting:  The Sylvania H4ST Silverstar...   http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-H4ST-BP-SilverStar-Performance/dp/B000AM8BN6?tag=vglnk-c357-20

On the other hand, I read the entire rant on Daniel Stern's Lighting website http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/disadvantages/disadvantages.html explaining about lighting color/contrast and why HID's aren't all they're chalked up to be.  Would the Silverstar bulb from above lead me more in the direction that Daniel Stern is warning me about?

I've read that a more complicated method would be to replace the wiring and electrics with something beefier and then use a higher wattage bulb, but that sounds too technical for me at the moment.

What other (and DIY) options have people done, and what options seem like they'd lead to the best performing headlamp?  Facts and opinions both welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 01:20:12 pm
I think it is mostly the 7" reflector.   Its deeper and has significantly more area to focus the light were you need it.    It makes a big difference,   I was riding late last night and have to say I am very happy with the 7" setup.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 01:28:44 pm
Hi Br. chuck,

Given an equal light source, the reflector and lens do make all the difference in the world.

Your stock sealed beam and the 7" unit in the catalog may consume the same number of watts of electricity in making light but are two cats of different stripes as far as the usability of that light.

A decent 7" is the way to go hands down.

The stock 5 3/4" unit is disposable. Good 7" motorcycle and E code models use replaceable bulbs and will outperform virtually any 5 3/4" out there.

A couple advantages of replaceable bulb systems are spares are easy to carry and you have the option to fine tune output color temperature and to some extent beam throw pattern.

Beam throw patterns that I have observed from the Bosch, Hella and Lucas units are very nice for our purposes with good forward projection, sharp horizontal cut off and decent side diffusion.

The tri bar looked to be throwing fairly well too but I had not the chance to really wring it out.

I do understand cost being a factor. Home brewed 7" and even 5 3/4" lighting conversions can be done and done well if your handy and resourceful and patient.

As a note the Japanese round motorcycle head lights of yesteryear I.E. Koto, Stanley etc., had a much steeper angle of separation between high and low beam than European lamps of the same era. I'm not saying that's bad, just something to take into consideration when planing a lighting mod.

When it comes to ready made after market illumination systems I avoid diamond and PIAA brands like the plague, poor performance and quality IMHO.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 03:14:16 pm
So say I get the $20 bulb on my link above... it'll probably be a temporary improvement.  Then in a few months if I upgrade to a 7" i can still use that bulb in it right, and can at least experiment to see if i like that bulb or the one that comes with the 7" conversion kit?

If i go with a 7", what are peoples' preferences here?  There are like 4 different options in the nfield gear catalog... or are they mostly the same as alluded to in Ice's above post?

Conflicting opinions welcome...

cheers,

chuck

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 04:31:13 pm
My suggestion is go to fleabay motors and type in "Enfield Headlight" and "Enfield Headlamp" and see what happens. 
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 11:35:10 pm
Looks like fleabay's got a couple of good options but most of them are located in india.  i think to expedite things i might just pick up something through nfield gear as my dealer (mainly dealing in boats) doesn't stock or deal in accessories or upgrades.

What's everyone's favorite 7" that our host sells?

Also, would anyone recommend getting the sylvania bulb listed above as a temporary fix to my stock setup?

Chuck

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 12:09:17 am
Call nfield first and see what they have in stock. When I got mine they ONLY had the conversion rings. If you can get the pre-assembled one, that's what I would do.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 02:35:09 am
No matter where you go, there, you are.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 02:46:24 am
Now I want that Indian headlight. I can't find one anywhere. My interweb skillz are lacking. The pre-assembled comes with a Mindra 7" H4. Tried google, bing, ebay and even ebay.in. No luck.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 01:01:04 pm
Thanks, I'll give nfield gear a call later today and see what theyve got layin around.  Do you folks recommend the preassembled lamp just because of simplicity of installation?  My main concern here is visability and headlamp performance and I wouldn't mind a slightly more difficult installation if it'll be a better end product.

walken4life

• Bulleteer
  • 2002 Bullet Deluxe
Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 02:03:15 pm
I also ordered the pre-assembled 7" kit from our hosts a few months ago.  I really love the look of it overall on the bike.  Have not ridden at night with it yet.  Some folks say the stock bulb that comes with it could be brighter, and that they end up replacing it with an aftermarket H4 bulb.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 02:56:17 pm
Now I want that Indian headlight. I can't find one anywhere. My interweb skillz are lacking. The pre-assembled comes with a Mindra 7" H4. Tried google, bing, ebay and even ebay.in. No luck.
I wonder....

Linky <=========

On both my bikes I bought the parts separately and cobbled them together.  I am cheep like that, anything to save a buck.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 03:34:34 pm
What about that Tribar option from NField?
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 03:45:47 pm
That doesn't include a bucket and brackets/headlight ears.

Nice thing for the wish list.  In the mean time I'll eat more carrots.
Run what ya brung

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 06:23:24 pm
I wonder....

Linky <=========

On both my bikes I bought the parts separately and cobbled them together.  I am cheep like that, anything to save a buck.

Not it but I found what I was looking for and more! Thanks!