Author Topic: High(er) Performance Muffler Question  (Read 4325 times)

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
on: February 20, 2008, 06:03:04 pm
In the catalog it says that the shorter muffler, pt# Z90373, will not fit with the stock header pipe as it used to.  I have a 2006 65 Bullet.  I have removed the converter thing from the header pipe and capped off the air inlet on the pipe.  I'd rather buy and install just the muffler than have to buy the entire exhaust system. 

Here's the question - Will the shorter muffler mount up OK on my bike without the need to purchase the new header pipe?

I'm not trying to just be 'cheap', but I don't want to spend money I don't really need to spend.

Thanks,
Fred
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 03:26:56 am
from what I've read.. no.. is the answer to your question as far a bolt on goes.. I haven't tried to adjust .. YET..  however I am going to buy the complete system with the carb  and muffler / tailpipe system for my Electra,  to experiment as a gift for my 60th birthday coming up next month, from the folks here

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 02:06:53 pm
On my 350 the standard downpipe ends just below the gearbox.   Some of the after-market short silencers require a longer pipe to bring the mounting-bracket on the silencer to match with the correct place on the frame.

I bought (Ebay UK) a short Indian-made silencer which has a longer section of pipe before the silencer part begins, and this enables all the brackets to match up while retaining the original downpipe.

See the difference below

Tom

[old attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 02:09:47 pm by Spitting Bull »
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 02:31:13 pm
Be careful to check first that the origiinal header pipe is OK to re-use. See the pic below of mine which was standard factory fit. Hardly any engagement in the barrel at all! I only found this when renewing the whole system as when I bought my silencer off of eBay UK the chap wasn't happy with the quality of just the silencer with the extended front piece like Spitting B's and sent me a whole new system instead for the same money!!!
Glad he did or I might not have found this for a while if only renewing the silencer part!!! You'd have thought it would have chuffed a bit but it didn't

If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 07:54:24 pm
LSM, I agree - that's pretty ugly.

OK, so I was trying to be cheap.  There, ya caught me. 

So I did the deep and ordered the classic exhaust system.  I was real proud of myself for doing that.  Then I got an email from Vince telling me the system was backordered.

Bummer.  I'm sure it will get here eventually.  Can't ride right now anyway.

2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 11:43:51 pm
FG52
You did the right thing I'm sure. You'll love the new sound (probably what we'd call the original old sound actually).  ;D
Hope you won't have to wait too long!!!  :-[
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin