Author Topic: Which Battery tender do you recommend?  (Read 2643 times)

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 19, 2011, 08:26:41 pm
Here's their site... from what I've gathered, these 'battery tender' brand ones are the best, or at least there are no qualms so that's the way I'm going to go....

http://batterytender.com/motorcycle.html

our RE batteries are about 12 v i believe so i'm prob going to go with that first option (Battery Tender Jr 12v).

On the other hand, my bike is always parked outside as I don't have a garage.  it's always under it's tarp (nylon bike cover) but for that reason should I spring for the more expensive 'waterproof' battery tender? 

Cheaper is better in my eyes, and i guess i could just not hook it up if it's supposed to rain...

Anyone have suggestions from personal use?

Also, if i would just let this battery die then spring for a sealed battery, do they not require a trickle charging every once in a while?  Most of my riding is long range, at least an hour to two at a time, but the winter months will be another story...

Thanks in advance, Enfield Guru's-

chuck

DonK

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 08:39:09 pm
I use these on all my stuff. Jeep, mower,bike. 12 volt lead acid batteries
Never had a problem.

These are not for AGM batteries

http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 10:13:38 pm
I ride regularly (each bike at least once a week)  and never really have problems with my batteries.

My suggestion is get the cheep charger for about $10 and us it at the beginning of the season.  If you remove your battery over the winter and keep it in a warm (65-70 degree) place it should hold 80% of the charge for up to 12 months.   If it does not it is on its way out and will need replacing anyway. Lead acid batteries last only 5 to 7 years, although I have seen some in a perfect environment (72deg) last up to 9 in service with 70% capacity.    I personally think floating a battery over the winter invites more problems than it solves, just disconnect it and keep it warm.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

DonK

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 10:23:28 pm
superchuck, The garbone is right, I never use these during riding season, you shouldn't have to if you ride regularly, I only use it when I take my battery out of the bike during the winter.

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 10:36:21 pm
i leave the batteries in my bikes but i bought extra  little dipole connectors for each bike and rotate the tender between bikes. i only have to do this a few times during the winter
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 10:40:00 pm
yes garbone is right and i do the same thing..take them in for the winter..put the battery tender jr. on each one and then take it oif and keep the batteries on newpaper in a warm dry spot...then before puting back in for the spring, i do the battery tender one more time....
Oh Magoo you done it again

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 01:10:17 am
Battery Tender (The brand) makes an excellant product, but occasionally they mysteriously break down and stop working.  However- they have a wondeful warranty.
Yuasa makes a tender that is a teeny bit smaller and seems to be of a slightly more stour constitution.
Based on my experience behind a parts counter and an end user.
Run what ya brung

dpote

• 08 Military
  • Scooter
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 04:19:35 am
i leave the batteries in my bikes but i bought extra  little dipole connectors for each bike and rotate the tender between bikes. i only have to do this a few times during the winter
I have the same setup in two other motorcycles. The cool thing about them is when you are riding a lot, and do not need to use the charger, you can add a 12v cigarette lighter adapter to run things from. I connect my ham radio to mine, and my wife charges her cell phone on hers.
Battery Tender does make a good product.
Dave
Be safe,
David

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 04:47:48 am
Thanks for all the great input-  my main reason for getting one was that my E/S has mysteriously rendered itself useless... never even use the durned thing but it'd be nice to have in a pinch.  Was assuming it was low battery that caused the enduring malfuntion but I haven't looked deeply enough into it to be sure anyway.  Good to know the harbor freight one would work fine even if just for short periods of time during the winter.  I got a clicker torque wrench from there that wouldn't stop torquing, a tale for another day but I'm lucky I didn't strip anything.

I've been riding at least once a week, sometimes three if it's not pouring down rain, and my commute is about 80 miles round trip, usually more depending on how many times i get lost... err, i mean how many scenic detours I take.  Mental maps are key in motorcycling I've found. 

Thanks again for all the great input... if it turns out my battery is low I'll pick up one of these float circuit chargers now, otherwise it'll be an early xmas present to me in the winter.

cheers ya'll  8)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 05:02:54 am
Make sure to check the fluid level every 4-6 weeks.

Have you taken your 3 inches of cable out of the HL yet?
Run what ya brung

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 03:08:50 pm
Thanks, yeah the electrolyte hasn't been a problem yet.  and.... 3" of wire?  Will that really cause a drain on the battery or something?  See above post about looking into replacing headlamp soon.  Looks like i'm going to be digging around in there so any suggestions you have would be great.

chuck

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 03:25:17 pm
my commute is about 80 miles round trip, usually more depending on how many times i get lost...u
would think that would be sufficent mileage to charge up the battery for the electric start feature....just saying..
Oh Magoo you done it again

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 07:42:21 pm
I have had the Battery Tender Jr. for about 10 years. It works great on all my vehicles. Cost about $30 on sale.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 11:32:27 pm
GreenMachine, those were my thoughts exactly, but like I said I haven't had the chance to check it out yet... Planning to go poking around with my multimeter in a day or so, and when I change my clutch oil and adjust the primary drive i'll make sure I don't have tiny bits of sprague all over the duckin' place.

olhogrider, I am wary of harbor freight tools now cause of that torque wrench mishap but a lot of people do swear by them.  I'll make the call in about half a year when i'm starting to ride less (if in fact that happens) and it'll be a toss-up between the $9 harbor freight one and the Battery Tender Jr.  I noticed that's the one sold by nfield gear as well, possibly why so many forumites use it.

cheers all, and stay tuned for my E/S issues (a tale for another thread)

chuck