Author Topic: Purchsing Bullet Electra X  (Read 4401 times)

JimZ

• Neophyte
on: February 16, 2008, 03:10:28 am
Hi everyone this is my first post here. I am really excited about getting into riding again after a 15 year layoff. My last bike was a Yamaha sr500 which I loved riding so when I found the Royal Enfield site I knew I had to have one.  Is there anything I need to know about these machines before purchasing one.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 03:25:37 am
no, not really

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 03:32:24 am
Jim -

Just have a good read on these boards you'll have a bucket load of knowledge about these beauties.

Welcome!

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

LJRead

Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 06:19:15 am

Welcome to the forum and to Royal Enfield.  I'm back to bike riding after 36 years and I'm afraid I'm noticing how rusty I am.  Going to have to slow down and get used to it all over again.  I think I'm going to just be a sedate, easy going rider and let it go at that.  Maybe my reflexes have slowed, but certainly my instincts have.  Well, I suppose if you are aware of limitations, that is a good start.

Good luck,

Larry

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 01:53:20 pm
Hi everyone this is my first post here. I am really excited about getting into riding again after a 15 year layoff. My last bike was a Yamaha sr500 which I loved riding so when I found the Royal Enfield site I knew I had to have one.  Is there anything I need to know about these machines before purchasing one.

Hi Jim,

Think of your soon to be RE as a slow SR that needs lots of TLC, but has loads more visual character. (I speak from the experience of owning two SRs and an SRX, so I'm allowed the back-handed compliment!).

Seriously, it will have the same basic thumper appeal of the SR. The seating position will be different. The SR felt almost like a dirtbike when compared to its contemporaries, whereas the Electra X in stock form (namely a bench seat instead of a solo saddle), feels more like a Honda 250 street bike (can you say Twinstar?).

Take care with the break-in period and be faithful to the maintenance schedule, and welcome!

Matt

2bikes

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 05:12:15 pm
These are a great bike, but make sure that it has the modified clutch release and later type cable, my cable snapped within 1000 miles, in the middle of the night! (5-speed box).

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 06:26:57 pm
These are a great bike, but make sure that it has the modified clutch release and later type cable, my cable snapped within 1000 miles, in the middle of the night! (5-speed box).

Another one of the many reasons not to ride in the middle of the night!  ;D

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 12:47:19 am
well I'm kinda curious about the modified clutch release ???

2bikes

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 03:52:54 pm
The modified component incorporates a swivel.  With the original part, the cable nipple at the gearbox end located in a fork and the pull was at at an angle, often causing premature cable breakage.  With the mod, the clutch cable emerges from the gearbox and then curves forwards.  With the original type, the cable carries on straight back and disappears behind the panels.