Author Topic: Swaping G5 rear fender for C5?  (Read 9177 times)

koncho75

• Scooter
on: April 19, 2011, 03:16:11 pm
Ok so ive had my G5 deluxe for about 7 months now. Had the dual seat replaced with a solo sprung seat at delivery but as many of you will know that leaves the dreaded G5 subframe exposed on top of the rear fender. I have put up with it whilst breaking in the bike but its time get the bike looking the way I want it too (coming into Winter here in Oz).

I did a bit of reasearch when first getting the bike but didnt seem to find any simple solutions to getting rid of the rear subframe at the time. Would love to clean up the rear to look like this members ride (apologies if i get the attaching picture mixed up first attempt).

The bike not being 'finished' as I want it is starting to really bug me.

Would it be possible to simply use a C5 rear fender (chrome of course) and the strut type sub frame to replace the G5 deluxe arangement? I realise tyres are a little larger on G5 but would it work/be a simple thing to do? Otherwise any other clever ideas out there?

Cheers!

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 05:47:42 pm
Looks nice Your solo seat looks like the "lisette" style (?Sp) which traditionally is often used with a leather "skirt" to conceal the underside.   Another option would be to get a slft leather tool pouch to fit in the space :  My other cholce would be to simply get a piece of black leather puched along the edges and lace it across the exposed frame.  Any oth these would be cheaper than a new fender, which probably wouldnt fit without mounting tab modifications anyway.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Nigel

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
I think you would need to weld/modify the frame to mount the support rail to the G5.  I think I saw some for older models in chrome in the clearance section of the NField Gear site not long ago.

Scott

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 08:11:12 pm
The G5 has the electra frame/subframe with the UCE engine. You can easily mount a rear carrier or a pillion seat on the subframe. The subframe holds the rear fender in place. You can chop the rear of the subframe to get that clean C5 kind of look, but you will have to get fender stays to hold the C5 style fender. You probably will have to modify the fenders stays. Its probably doable. You may want to go to a dealer and measure dimensions to be very sure.  

The bike in the picture is not a G5. Its a classic which has a different frame/subframe, but you can still get your G5 to look almost like it. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:22:14 pm by 1 Thump »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 08:24:11 pm

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 03:58:56 am
There they are!  Couldn't find 'em earlier.  Thanks Thump.

Scott

koncho75

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 01:45:14 am
Yeah thats what I was thinking, remove G5 subframe which looks easy enough (will leave a couple of small holes on top of fender - will just need to find some chrome plugs), and replace with C5 style fender stays.

I'm just not sure if the C5 fender stay can be easily installed on my G5? Would I also need to purchase new rear chrome fender (i.e. is there a difference between the G5 and C5 rear fender or are they the same?). My dealer suppport is near non-existant (one dealer for the whole of the state which is bigger than Texas).

I love my G5 but would love to be able to give it that C5 clean rear look - as per the picture i attached to my original post (I already have the new taillight section).

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 02:04:38 am
Ooops    my earlier reply was based on the assumption that what you were trying to hide was the frame visible under the seat.    Only after blowing up the inset picture do I see the frame rails you are talking about.   So my suggestions probably made no sense, because, .......well, they make no sense.   What about saddle bag sitting higher than the rails.?

koncho75

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 02:56:20 am
Just to clarify nigelogston (easier with pictures) the first pic is of a members ride that shows the ugly G5 rear subframe (on top of the rear fender) when you install a solo seat as opposed to the factory dual/bench seat. I have a G5 deluxe so will just have to imagine beautiful chrome everywhere, haha.

The second pic is what im looking to acheive i.e the equavilent of a C5 rear end with its side fender stays. Ducatti Scotty and 1 Thump have picked up on the parts im talking about but just not sure if it would actually fit?

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 03:35:05 am
Now I get it. Of course you will lose the nice bag mounts. I have the same bags strapped to the fender stays with the help of some zip ties. That truly is a fugly piece! Have you thought about chrome plating the subframe? It would blend in with a chrome fender. I would be very careful about mounting the fender without that support. I once removed some "cosmetic" chrome strips from my ElectraGlide. Turns  out they keep the fender from vibrating to pieces! Later models moved those inside the fender, out of sight.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 03:56:33 am
Just to clarify nigelogston (easier with pictures) the first pic is of a members ride that shows the ugly G5 rear subframe (on top of the rear fender) when you install a solo seat as opposed to the factory dual/bench seat. I have a G5 deluxe so will just have to imagine beautiful chrome everywhere, haha.

The second pic is what im looking to acheive i.e the equavilent of a C5 rear end with its side fender stays. Ducatti Scotty and 1 Thump have picked up on the parts im talking about but just not sure if it would actually fit?

There is only one way to find out. Or two, if you have a C5 close by.  :D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 03:01:38 pm
I'll take a look at the G5 and C5 next time I'm at the dealer and let you know if the fenders stays would mount to a G5 easily.  I think the G5 fender is a little shorter in the rear but I think it would line up well enough.  I second the chroming idea.  I think that subframe can unbolt pretty easily, then just find a chrome shop.  Not as clean as the struts but it may be an option if you don't want to modify your frame for fender stays.  Oh, and the C5 pillion frame looks a lot like the G5 subframe.

Scott 

koncho75

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 10:57:22 pm
Thanks Scott. That would a great help. Shooting in the dark here a bit with not having access to a dealer. The only good thing is I havent seen another royal enfield around anywhere - attention graber indeed. The bad is when i want to change stuff, haha.

The C5 side fender stays look like they might fit but im sure we all know how frustrating 'close but not close enough' can be when using new parts. Given the amount of holes are going to be in my G5 fender when i remove things (rear taillight and subrame) I would even be willing to get a new C5 rear fender as well as the C5 fender stays long as I could mount it eaisly to my G5.

The G5 subframe looks likes it unbolts very easy. I had thought about just chroming it but at the moment i think i just want to get rid of it altogether.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 12:05:57 am
There are two types of C5 rear fender stays.  The earlier ones have tabs like the chrome ones pictured.  The later ones have threaded bosses and the fender bolts on from the inside, so no exposed hardware.

I was at the dealer today but too distracted with the new Ural they were putting together.  I'll look again tomorrow.  It's dangerous when your dealer is three blocks from work :)

Scott