Author Topic: Swaping G5 rear fender for C5?  (Read 9178 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: April 28, 2011, 10:40:15 pm
 Yeah, I like that Idea better. It is a cleaner and nicer look. If they sell that looped fender mount, you might be able to use that. Then you would just need somewhere to mount the front of the fender to the frame, maybe using the original one and a spacer?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: April 28, 2011, 11:11:32 pm
Don't have a bullet in front of me to look at :( , but I'd say you have to mount the front of the fender to the swingarm somehow because the fender has to move with the wheel.  Should be really easy to fabricate tho.  I think you're in bobber territory here, koncho!  When I get my G-5 I'm going to put a solo seat on and put a rear rack on to cover up the subframe and run the sidebag mounts.  For the times my girlfriend wants to ride, a quick on/off pillion on top of the rear rack will do the trick.  You guys have me dreamin' of my future Royal Enfields and If I end up springing for one it will be all your faults, you evil bulleteer forum users!  :P

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #32 on: April 30, 2011, 03:32:30 pm
I'm not sure if you've seen this page, it looks like you got one of your pics from it so maybe. I'm not sure which subframe that is but it is much cleaner (I love the more minimal rear brake light too)
http://members.verizon.net/allofusmorrows/Conversion.htm

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #33 on: April 30, 2011, 06:24:25 pm
That looks like the trials hoop.  There are some pics near the end that are just the hoop with the fender removed.  If you want it more minimal I wonder if you could even remove the top hoop and just have the loop that goes around the outside.  This was designed to hold an alloy fender which is more flexy than a steel one.  

It looks like it bolts to the shock mount and the subframe mount just forward of that, incorporating mounts for the seat springs along the way.  If nothing else, a piece of flat bar mounted like that could make a nice place to mount a custom strut that follows the fender line.  Then you can just weld to the strut and bolt to the frame.  Easier than having to weld right to the frame.

Or make it really slick, run some brackets inside the fender.  Lots of cruiser have internal bracing for the fender. 

Only the first option is bolt on but you could get the bracket and chromed it would look way better than what you have now.

Scott
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:28:08 pm by Ducati Scotty »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: April 30, 2011, 09:38:49 pm
 Some good Ideas there  ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.