Author Topic: Swaping G5 rear fender for C5?  (Read 9193 times)

koncho75

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 03:17:19 am
Any luck?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 03:46:33 am
 Koncho, I think I have a pic of the tail section of the C-5 without the fender and stays. I don't think what you looking to do will work. If you hold on for a bit,while i find it,I can post it up if you like?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

koncho75

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 03:47:35 am
yeah that would be a great help. cheers.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 04:12:11 am
Sorry, been so busy I keep forgetting to look.  I'll make a note so I don't forget again.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 05:06:13 am
Here you go Koncho. Study them a bit. I don't see it happening without cutting, welding, relocating mounts and such. But I don't have a G-5 to look at up close. Anything Is possible though. I'm sure It could be done.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 05:46:32 pm
Better than I could do GHG, I was going to pull the fenders off when I took pics.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 10:22:29 pm
Better than I could do GHG, I was going to pull the fenders off when I took pics.

Scott
Yeah, just looking at the pix Koncho posted and It does not look great with the solo seat. BUT, I like the looped rear section of that frame better. I bet you it is stiff as heck. And an Ideal base for a Cafe seat/ cowl. It also looks like it may unbolt ? So I suppose he could remove it, weld in 4 threaded bungs, or mount locations, 2 on top ahead of the shock towers. Then 2 on the bottom, at the rear foot peg mounts, for the C-5 fender stays. Then mount the fender in between.  BUT, I would brace that rear section of the frame, to compensate for the lose of that nice Loop......Just thinking out loud  ::)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 10:41:46 pm
Yup, the G5 subframe unbolts but you'd need something else to hold the fender in place.

There's also the trials rear subframe that is smaller but it doesn't have the same elegance as the sid struts.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 11:31:35 pm
  Or maybe just weld in some cross tubes, inside that Loop. And  turn it into a luggage rack. Might look good?  And it WOULD be easier.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 11:46:28 pm
No, those subframes just don't look good.  They're strong but awkward and bulky.  The C5 pillion frame looks like that too. No way to make it look elegant :(

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 04:14:52 am
So I stopped by the dealer today and looked at the G5 and C5 next to each other.

I'm sure you could do something but I couldn't say if it's a perfect fit.  I measured a few things by hand spans and it's all close.  You're certainly going to need to bolt or preferably weld on two supports on each side to hold the struts.  I know the two bikes' frames are different but looking at the bikes I'd say you either need to spend a lot of time measuring or just get a strut and see how it lines up.  I think the latter option is your best bet.  There are so many variables with the different frames, possibly different fender curves and all the rest.  If you hold the part up to the side for two minutes you'll know more concretely about how it fits than all the measuring you could do in a day.

If you have a C5 friend nearby have them drop by, take the strut off, and hold it next to your bike.  If you have a really friendly dealer nearby see if he'll unmount one for the possibility of ordering ans selling two.  If not I'd say your best bet is to order those chrome $10 clearance ones and see what you can see. 

I'm sure with not much work a good welder could easily mount them quickly.  How much would that cost and how much would you want to spend?  That I can't answer.

But I do think those chrome struts would be the cats meow :)

Hope this helps.

Scott

I'd

koncho75

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 06:37:24 am
Firstly, thanks for all your posts guys. Has been a great help as I dont have access to a dealer nearby and have never seen another royal enfield on the road.

I'm currently at work and can't really reply now but will do so tonight (Australia time which is in a few hours).

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 06:51:11 am
Australia?!?  The shipping on those chrome struts might be more than I thought. :P

Sorry, ugly American moment.  I assume everyone lives here. ;)

koncho75

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 09:28:05 am
Yeah i’m in Oz. I was serious when I said there is only one dealer for the state im from which is bigger than the state of Texas in the USA (and they are just interested in sales). Makes it bloody difficult to get my G5 the way i want it and makes this forum even more invaluable for me. To make it even harder I live in an inner city unit with zero room to tinker on my bike so really cant do much more than do bolt on solutions.

Although with the Australian dollar now worth $1.09 US dollars shipping works out pretty cheap  :P

So from all the helpful information I figure i have the following solutions to get rid of that ugly (and i mean really ugly and bulky fender support of the G5 - no interest in just chroming, it just needs to go). It looks easy enough to simply unbolt but then the fender needs some sort of support.

Option 1 - Use C5 rear fender supports
From the photos and info posted the best I can figure is the C5 top mounts are about an inch or so lower (closer to rear springs) on the frame than the G5 - bugger. I could try and find someone to weld fender supports to frame or make brackets to fit. Or I just realised my solo seat has a bracket that connects top of rear spring to seat mount so might be able to fit it along there somewhere instead of frame? For the price i might just buy the C5 fender supports anyhow and hope i can find a way to make them work.

Option 2 – Use trials rear fender
I find this solution almost as ugly as the G5 fender support im trying to remove so this solution is not for me.

Option 3 – Find some other clever solution (I cant be the first to remove the G5 fender support). Really need a bolt on solution.

See attached photo and link of a solution a dealer in the USA found. Im just interested in the rear fender support solution, nothing else on the bike.http://www.royalenfields.com/2008/10/bright-idea-gives-electra-new-look.html

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 03:41:19 pm
Well that bike is just plain pretty.  I like that solution because it's minimal AND the fender now rides with the wheel so you can suck it down tight to the tire for clean looks.  Is there a chopper or custom motorcycle shop anywhere near you?  I'm sure they could do something like that and I don't think it would cost too much.

Scott