Author Topic: Engine oil question...  (Read 2852 times)

geoffbaker

on: February 15, 2008, 08:51:08 pm
This is a dumb question, BUT...

When I got my bike home and took the head off and sent it in for work, I also did some general maintenance and exploration. I added some clean oil (maybe half a liter) to the engine.

A few days later, I dumped all the oil out of the bottom of the engine via the drain nut. I also opened up the timing cover and let the oil drain out of that. And the same for the chaincase.

All nice, thick, black goo.

Yet when I check the oil dipstick, it still shows half full... of nice clean oil.

I'm guessing that the oil reservoir is pumped to the rest of the engine, and as I haven't run the engine, the reservoir remains full?

If not, something is clogged somewhere.

I thought I'd check this with the experts... I can't really tell from my manual how the oil moves around the engine.

Advice welcome!

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 09:34:19 pm
Long and short of it,
The oil gets sucked out of the oil tank and pumped into the big end bearing through the crank by the feed pump.
From there it runs down to the bottom of the crankcase and sucked out by the scavage pump and pumped up to the rocker blocks.
From there it runs down the pushrod tunnels into the timing case.
From there it runs through a hole back into the oil tank.
When you change the oil the most oil will come out of the oil tank. A lot will come out of the timing cover. A little will come out of the oil filter housing. and about 2 tablespoons full should come out of the crankcase.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"