Author Topic: Petrol pipe cuddles up to side cap!  (Read 6835 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 09:34:00 pm
try a little oil on a q tip to the inside of the line that might help it slide on.

DO NOT leave it the way it is.  That line is filled with pressurized gasoline and sits over a running engine.  A little oil or grease on the barbed part and inside the line can help it slide on.

@Bob and @Scott:

Thanks for your suggestions.  I took off that fuel line today. Applied a little oil on the barbed nozzle and very slightly applied on the inside of the fuel line with a q-tip. Pushed the fuel line as much as I could on the injector nozzle. The oil did help and this time the tube went further than before though it is slightly short of where the original was. Put the clamp back on.  Definitely improvement from before.

I took the bike for a 40 mile ride with a couple of stops in between. Checked for any leaks when I got back home. There was none.  I will keep checking it before / after every ride - next few rides -  to make sure that fuel line is not sliding off the nozzle because oil can make it slippery. I will also keep checking that the clamp screw is tight.

The other end of fuel line fits perfectly and easily on the fuel pump nozzle,  just like the original was !  The fuel pump nozzle is smooth plastic tube - no ridges / barbs. So the size (I.D.) of the new fuel line is ok. Also, the original line has stamp of 5/16, just like my new one has.  
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 10:02:52 pm
FWIW, you can also use spit to lubricate new hoses for installaion.  Yeah, it may sound funny but the official Ural assembly instructions actually state this several times.  They just put one together at the shop and were telling me.

Scott

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 02:27:43 am
FWIW, you can also use spit to lubricate new hoses for installaion.  Yeah, it may sound funny but the official Ural assembly instructions actually state this several times.  They just put one together at the shop and were telling me.

Scott

But on a Ural they assume the spit is 50% alcohol  :o

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 11:40:03 pm
I always put the hardest end of any rubber tubing to install first and it is usually the longest one or over ribs on the attachment or some kind of "bump". Lubricants in tube and on nozzle help and so does spit BUT best tip is put the hose in hot water - very hot - the tubing will not melt but if you put the end in a cup with boiling water the length you need to slide on it will soften up enough to slip right on. Keep part out to hold on to and it will stay stiff enough to allow you to push the softened end!
Dr B

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 04:27:29 pm
Brilliant!

Scott