Author Topic: Petrol pipe cuddles up to side cap!  (Read 6832 times)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
on: April 16, 2011, 08:46:51 pm
My petrol pipe got lonely and made contact to the side cap! Alas, this relationship proved to be not healthy, especially for the pipe. It shows signs of abrasion and sooner or later a fatality would be inevitable.
It´s the pipe on the left hand side, that curves from the petrol pump to the injection. I just bend the side cap´s corner a little bit to the inside, so further contact is no more possible.
I recommend to all G5 owners to check this issue. It´s 5 minutes work to avoid a nasty breakdown (approximately during a rainy night trip  ;D).
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 09:41:46 pm
I recommend to all G5 owners to check this issue. It´s 5 minutes work to avoid a nasty breakdown (approximately during a rainy night trip  ;D).

Thank you for the warning and the clever solution ! I will check my bike since it may be doing the same thing.  
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 10:07:28 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 11:15:40 pm
Fuel line is cheap, replace it once a year.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 03:11:43 am
The C5 does the same thing on the battery box.  A little door edge trim solves the problem.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 01:49:54 am
My G5's fuel line was touching the battery cover as well.  I gave a Maturin Treatment to the cover and now the pipe runs 3 mm above it. The black paint was chipped a bit when I bent it, so just touched up with black paint.  

I checked my fuel line and it has quite a few cracks - some long cuts on it !
Is it 5/16" ? Any recommendations which one - vinyl, pvc, neoprene or tygon?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 04:53:39 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 02:04:35 am
geeze..what's the deal with that...bike is like a year old..looks more like 15 yr. old fuel line except for the color...i can't believe its ethanol as its ssems to be on the outside...but it does look like its breaking down ..
Oh Magoo you done it again

YJake

• Scooter
  • Exploring the Sunshine State
Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 02:45:58 am
That does look rough!  :o

My bike was made in '10 and has a newer looking fuel line although it does touch the side cover in the same spot as your was. I have the signs of a very slight crack forming on the bend but nothing like that.

Get that hose replaced and get some peace of mind.  ;)

-Jake
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost..."

2010 Royal Enfield G5

1973 Honda CL125

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 03:21:44 am
+1, replace it now.  Just take some of the line to the auto parts store.  I'm sure they'll have something to replace it with that's the right size.

Scott

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
  • That goes where? Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 02:43:42 pm
Yikes Singhg5!  Even with the heat here in central India as it is that line shouldn't be so bad after just 2 years  :o
"Pardon me...do you have hot sauce for this?"

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 11:00:16 pm
                     IN SEARCH OF FUEL LINE FOR MY G5 EFI  

I thought it will be easy to get a fuel line as everybody says so  :D, well it was quite an interesting trip.  The first stop was at a motorcycle dealer (call him A). A nice guy welcomed me and gave me a thin clear PVC tubing FREE and told me he had no problem using it.  The next stop at another motorcycle dealer (call him B, I know them for long time). There one of the attendents was about to give me a flexible vacuum tubing because that was in front of all the tubes and was the right size 5/16 inche (8 mm) !! and was black like fuel lines  Fortunately, another guy came and changed it black, thicker, heavier real fuel line for $2/ft.  Took 1 foot.  When I was about to leave, he said does your bike have carbureter?  I said no it is fuel-injected with fuel pump !  He suggested that due to fuel pump pressure may be braided fuel line is better and I should check an auto store.  The third stop was auto store - they sure had a braided fuel line that can withstand 180 PSI and costed $6/ft.  

Here they are -

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:37:09 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 11:27:41 pm
Yup, option 3 is what you need.  The clear PVC was pretty popular back in the day and had the advantage of letting you see if there was fuel in the line.  There were lots of clear plastic fuel filters too.  Neoprene line (option 2) is more durable in every way even if you can't see through it.  And since that line is pressurized with the EFI, yup, you want heavy duty braided (option 3).  I'm glad you found the right stuff.

I put some door edge guard along my C5 battery box to protect my fuel line.  I'll take a pic later and post it here.

Kinda weird that moto shops these days don't seem to carry as many generic parts as they used to.  I went to get a 5 3/4" round hoalgen headlight at my local shop and they didn't have any.  Unless I can give them a year, make, & model to get a part # they can't get it.  It's a round headlight for Pete's sake!  Sheesh!  I try to go to the smaller, independent shops when I can for these kinds of things.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 11:47:54 pm
                          REPLACING FUEL LINE ON EFI G5

Since the original fuel line was braided, I decided to use braided 5/16 inch I.D.
(8 mm i.d.) fuel line good for 180 PSI fuel pressure, cut to 7.0 inch - the length of the original fuel line. Taking off the line was easy. But to put it on was another matter.

One good thing - there was no pressure in the fuel line, so pulling it off the pump does not spray fuel - but I had wrapped a rag around the joint while pulling to pick up any drops that may fall.  Need some rags to soak up fuel when the line was tipped to drain off fuel. Taking the end off the fuel injector nozzle also required help of plier. The injector nozzle almost touched the electric harness (first pic) and the tube was hitting the started solenoid. Removed the battery holder and solenoid to make some room.  Even then pushing the braided line fiited so tightly onto barbed nozzle of injector that pushing and rotating, trying from left side or right side - the braided fuel line does not yield !  Managed to push it only a little more than half-way, as compared to the original (second pic). Clamped tight. Tested by a short ride.

Any ideas on to how to push this unyielding fuel line over barbed nozzle of fuel injector or leave it the way it is ?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 02:10:35 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 11:54:09 pm
Two more pictures - draining fuel line and removing original fuel line off the fuel injector nozzle with the aid of plier.

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 03:34:53 pm
try a little oil on a q tip to the inside of the line that might help it slide on.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 03:39:56 pm
Any ideas on to how to push this unyielding fuel line over barbed nozzle of fuel injector or leave it the way it is ?

DO NOT leave it the way it is.  That line is filled with pressurized gasoline and sits over a running engine.  A little oil or grease on the barbed part and inside the line can help it slide on.  Also, the right pair or pliers that can get in to grip it an press it down might be key, whatever fits in there is what you want.  You may also need a larger line.  Measure the barbed part diameter and compare it to the inside diameter of the new line.  Oftentimes aftermarket lines have a thicker wall.  They look the same on the outside but the inside is narrower.

Scott