Author Topic: Observations from an interstate trip today  (Read 4437 times)

Fox

• Bulleteer
on: April 16, 2011, 05:24:54 pm
Did about 300 miles yesterday, some of it left-lane interstate. I had it wide-open-throttle for the first time in 5th gear, and took it to about 90mph (indicated) briefly. At that speed, the vibration of the pegs is so incredibly violent that after 20 seconds or so I lifted my feet off and just pressed my knees against the sides of the tank.

I am in general surprised at how much vibration I feel in the left peg. It doesn't seem to affect the right peg quite as much. Same goes for the right grip vs. the left.  I had to tighten the bolts which hold the centerstand / pegs on after the first highway trip - might this have something to do with the vibrations? Is this supposed to be somewhat loose?

Another anomaly was that the speedometer went real wonky. After holding 65-75 miles per hour for a couple of hours, the needle started skipping all over the place, sticking generally in a range that was 15-20MPH faster than what it seemed I was actually going. When I closed the throttle, the needle seemed to stop freaking out quite as much. When I finally reached my exit, it seemed to chill out and reflect the actual speed again.

Has anyone else encountered this?

2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 05:36:41 pm
Check the speedo cable connection at the hub.  They come loose and make the speedo waver.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 06:27:46 pm
Holy Moly!   :o

Check ALL the nuts & bolts.....
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 07:42:07 pm
What did they call it...the old BSA-trick? Dunno, but it works like this: loose all bolts and nuts that connect the engine to the frame. Start then and rev her up. The plan is to create an opportunity for all parts to wiggle together nicely without any tension. After this procedure fasten evrything evenly.
I read this on this forum once, I think I it´s from scooterbob. Happy wiggling!
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 07:49:32 pm
Same thing happened to mine. Wiggled all connections, no difference. Then it just went away on it's own. Must have seated or something. Just a way to keep the bike interesting to a newbie.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 03:15:57 am
Oh, and tighten EVERYTHING and keep checking it all for a few months.  After that it should all stay tight.  Once you get to about 2000 miles the vibes go way down.  I can cruise at 65 all day with no discomfort if I want to.  Oh, and get some decent ProGrip gel grips.  These stock grips are lame.

Scott

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 09:39:50 am
I´ve driven four different UCEs including mine and all I can say is: they´re all different! Both power and vibrations can differ significantly. Precious is more a tame one, but on the other hand she´s hardly vibrating.
A C5 with 140km on the clock was the fastest one I tried, it had torque like an ox and reved up considerably fast - while my feet were wiggled off the footrest!
I´d run her in and have a look then, for a change in manners will certainly happen soon.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 02:00:30 am
...the vibration of the pegs is so incredibly violent that after 20 seconds or so I lifted my feet off and just pressed my knees against the sides of the tank.

Well, one mystery has been solved. Apparently what I thought was engine noise & vibration from the very beginning was actually my ill-fitted exhaust heat shield rattling. I was under the impression that it was riveted to the pipe, but this was not the case. I say 'was' because that shield liberated itself today at ~70MPH near exit 69 of Harrisburg Route 81. Following this, overall vibrations were pretty minimal, and the engine note sounded a little nicer. If it didn't look so nasty without it, I probably wouldn't bother replacing it. I guess I'll be in touch with my dealer.

In the heat of battle on the way up, one of the simulated chrome plastic buttons (which cover those bolts on either side of the frame) also fell, so the right side of the bike is looking really gnarly at this point. Add in the mud speckles all over the place from the 10 miles of dirt / gravel forest road I stumbled onto off of PA Rt. 322, and I've got myself an honest-to-god rat bike at only 1041 miles :D

Check the speedo cable connection at the hub.  They come loose and make the speedo waver.

Checked at both the hub and the instrument cluster. At the cluster, the cable sleeve had play but I couldn't get the screw any tighter. The behavior I described only happens after taking it over 80 indicated, and continues until I bring the bike to a stop before continuing.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 02:24:29 am
u were way out there on turnpike and i81...did u ride the turnpike ( ka dink, ka  dink, ka dink)...not surprise but glad u found that tormenting sound ..i once had my rear lamp assembly  loosen up  while riding to work one day...luckilyit didn't fall off as it would had been embarrassing to say the  least..kinda like losing your ass while riding down the road and shit falling off and getting crushed by the cars behind you..anyway what u do, about a 250  -300 mile ride this weekend ..sounds like u had a good time and were u please with the bike overall performance? ...what was your average rate of speed?
Oh Magoo you done it again

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 03:27:27 am
u were way out there on turnpike and i81...did u ride the turnpike ( ka dink, ka  dink, ka dink)...not surprise but glad u found that tormenting sound ..i once had my rear lamp assembly  loosen up  while riding to work one day...luckilyit didn't fall off as it would had been embarrassing to say the  least..kinda like losing your ass while riding down the road and shit falling off and getting crushed by the cars behind you..anyway what u do, about a 250  -300 mile ride this weekend ..sounds like u had a good time and were u please with the bike overall performance? ...what was your average rate of speed?

Nah, I actually took 322 both there and back the entire way. I've only taken the turnpike once, on my KLR - wide open throttle most of the time. It was one of the most boring and uncomfortable experiences of my life (ka-dink indeed, they should be ashamed at how crappy that road is for what they charge to use it and how lame it is), and I am happier 16 dollars less poor, having spent an hour longer traversing more scenic roads at speeds that don't cause me to burn oil.

This weekend was somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 miles. Friday morning I met a couple of guys on Harleys and we flew West off Rt.100. I split off in the mid-afternoon towards State College. It was in between on 30 West that I had the Enfield flat-out at 90 indicated. It was not a pleasant experience, and despite the flogging I was still left in the dust. I am much happier at 65-75, although interesting to note - if you flip the passenger pegs down and put your feet on them, you can lay on the tank and squeeze out a few more MPH on the top end. I would not recommend doing this.

I am pleased overall with the performance, although in hindsight I wish I had just taken it easy - especially on the way up. As far as average speed, on the non-freeway portions of the trip, it was mostly 35/45/55 zones which the bike handled perfectly. Once on the freeway, sh#t got real and I did not hold back; anywhere from 65 all the way up to 90 indicated. Once the speedo goes wonky, it seems to read higher, so I'm not sure where this aligns with reality. When it's not flopping around like a cowtail in the wind, I think it reads about 5mph higher than actual.

Could be that the vibrations I mentioned previously may have been partly caused by unwanted resonance (positive feedback loop, maybe?) of the heat shield. I left that problem behind me, if only temporarily, 100 miles back. I'll see next time I have it on the highway if this is actually the case, as I had reached the end of my wild ride at that point.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:31:23 am by Fox »

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 02:30:33 pm
It was in between on 30 West that I had the Enfield flat-out at 90 indicated. It was not a pleasant experience, and despite the flogging I was still left in the dust. I am much happier at 65-75, although interesting to note - if you flip the passenger pegs down and put your feet on them, you can lay on the tank and squeeze out a few more MPH on the top end. I would not recommend doing this.
Heh, this is what I did yesterday heading up a freeway incline near Burien (WA).  It topped out at an indicated 70mph with me leaning down.  That's when the left mirror suddenly turned 90 degrees as it loosened from the vibrations.  Gotta check those before riding any length.

I used to do that on the Buell Blast as well, but it had a bit more power.  On the Blast the left mirror fatigued and fell off on one ride, so vibration damage is not exclusive to RE.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 03:47:09 pm
sounds like u had the bike up to 80-83..i don't trust the speedometers at that rate of speed...my iron gets squirrelly over 70....cowtail in the wind is a good description...kinda hard to keep up with the Harley guys especially if they want to teach u a lesson in humility.....the pa turnpike from I 81 to Philly is the pits but straight and fast....I 'm not sure how it is past I 81 interchange across the rest of Pa....Either way u had a better travel the way u went out into Pennsylvania countryside....
Oh Magoo you done it again

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 10:52:15 pm
I was having the same problem with the speedo going erratic after sitting on a steady 120kph over a few miles. I disconnected the speedo drive at the wheel and put a small amount of oil and WD40 inside the hub drive. Haven't had a problem since.

Cheers  :)

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 02:29:17 am
I was having the same problem with the speedo going erratic after sitting on a steady 120kph over a few miles. I disconnected the speedo drive at the wheel and put a small amount of oil and WD40 inside the hub drive. Haven't had a problem since.

Cheers  :)

Thanks for the tip! What sort of oil did you use? I have to admit, I don't have the best track record for oiling / greasing anything but the chain.