Author Topic: a utilitarian rural royal?  (Read 3198 times)

• Neophyte
on: April 16, 2011, 03:04:23 am
So, I was thinking of getting one of these things with a side car but then realized that I'd end up with crap mileage (how bad is it anyway? bad as the Ural 26-32 mpg?) and it costs a bit.

So, in regards to the enfields

1) are they really that efficient? what is the real mpg they get?
2) how reliable are they?
3)  is there any way to carry around about 6000 cubic inches of groceries on one via an attachment/attachments other than a side car?
4) is there any way to get a larger gas tank?
5) and will this air cooled engine do poorly in 100 degree plus weather? -6 degree or worse weather?
6) is there any way to attach a full wind shield and or knee shield? (i'm worried about people tossing crap out their cars)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 03:14:48 am
So, I was thinking of getting one of these things with a side car but then realized that I'd end up with crap mileage (how bad is it anyway? bad as the Ural 26-32 mpg?) and it costs a bit.

So, in regards to the enfields

3)  is there any way to carry around about 6000 cubic inches of groceries on one via an attachment/attachments other than a side car?

1) yes. 65mpg @ 65mph
2) compared to what? I have a 13 year old Kawasaki that is more reliable. I'll sell you that.
3) trailer. Or buy a car
4) yes. For a price, anything can be made.
5) and will this air cooled engine do poorly in 100 degree plus weather? -6 degree or worse weather?
6) is there any way to attach a full wind shield and or knee shield? (i'm worried about people tossing crap out their cars)

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
  • That goes where? Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 08:41:09 am
Hey 4444 welcome to the forum

-Most likely between 60 and 70 MPG stock bike single rider

-The new UCE engines are very reliable, that said there is no motorcycle manufactured that has every bike turned out trouble free

3)  is there any way to carry around about 6000 cubic inches of groceries on one via an attachment/attachments other than a side car?
-Sure there are a few different styles of smaller motorcycle trailers on the market, here's just one.

-There's always a way to modify anything on just about any motorcycle if you have the know how or money  ;D

-They are the work horses of India where it regularly gets over 100 degrees, I can verify that as it's been that hot here in Pune the past few weeks and just getting hotter. And the UCE engines in particular were designed to operate up in the Himelayas so the cold and high altitudes are both good to go.

-Yea there are many different types/styles of windscreens to choose from and as for knee shields you can either  add engine guards and make/buy a cover or look at India based accessory vendors, I've seen leg /knee shields on afew RE's here so I'm sure they are available.

"Pardon me...do you have hot sauce for this?"

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 02:38:34 pm
Welcome 4444 !
       Could you please explain " tossing crap out their ears " ? Never heard that one before !

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 03:10:37 pm
If you get an Inder trailer and run with it I think you could haul some gear  with a passenger and be a bit more nimble and get better mileage than a hack rig. 

The good thing about a sidehack  is you can tote you tons of stuff in it if you have no passenger in addition to pets and long things (rifles, fishing poles, skis, lumber)  You will loose a bit more MPG from wind resistance though.     But then again you can strap a 5 gallon can of gas to the side of the thing also.

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *