Author Topic: two coils  (Read 6076 times)

elmagnifico

• Scooter
Reply #30 on: April 19, 2011, 04:04:18 am
the power arc coil is not for me(too new looking). Ive thought about the other one. I saw one on ebay a couple months ago with a red top but I waited too long. they have a newer coil but it looks too chunky for lack of a better description.
2003 bullet deluxe

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #31 on: April 19, 2011, 07:56:04 am
I would think you would have a better selection looking at 12 volt coils, to be run in parallel rather than 6 volt ones, which would be in series(assuming you are running 12 volt electrics)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 03:52:01 pm
To fire 2 plugs? Actually..You wrote " why 2 coils on a single cylinder engine" . It's common to put one in the decompressor hole.

This is getting hilarious. Do you ever read what you're reading?

You quote my question "Why dual coils on a SINGLE PLUGGED, all stock Enfield"

And then you answer: To fire 2 plugs?

Dear Lord, Make it stop!
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bullet.wagon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #33 on: April 19, 2011, 03:57:28 pm
Yeah. All this coil talk is getting me all wound up. and don't pardon the pun.
2005 RE Military
2000 RE 350

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: April 19, 2011, 05:23:40 pm
Yeah. All this coil talk is getting me all wound up. and don't pardon the pun.

You're right. I think we long ago lost the Primary question & it has became Secondary.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 05:34:29 pm
Take the decompressor out and put a plug there. I think I read 'bout someone moving the plug to that side. ??? If it is more fire for your thumper than an ole school way is just file a v in to the plug..I think they sell 'em now like that;D
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #36 on: April 19, 2011, 09:12:20 pm
                  You also have to install a single fire ignition system.

And I still don't understand, after reading all these posts, why someone would want to have two coils on a single cylinder engine. Just for "looks"? What if someone who knows engines asks "What's the second coil for"?

At least there's a "Reason" to do it on a harley.

Isn't two coils on an Enfield sorta like tits on a suitcase?
No big deal, but this IS what you wrote,no mention of plugs here. I'd like to add for the original poster that they make plug wires now that will fire 2 plugs off of one coil. One plug is fired directly while the other is fired inductivly from a coil that is surrounding the wire. Put them on a harley (with dual plugged heads)and they seemed to work well. No extra coils needed. I think we got them from drag specialties or one of them outlets.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 09:20:55 pm by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

elmagnifico

• Scooter
Reply #37 on: April 19, 2011, 10:28:02 pm
              My problem wasn't with dual-plugging. I totally understand dual-plugging and, of course, there's a reason for dual-plugging.

My discussion (if you go actually read what I said) was about this:

Why dual COILS on a single plugged, all stock Enfield?
        I don't understand your question or more accurately your assumption. there wouldn't be a reason to run dual coils or a dual output coil on a single plug enfield.       
                    What if someone who knows engines asks "What's the second coil for"?
   If they know engines they wont have to ask.
2003 bullet deluxe

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: April 20, 2011, 09:24:00 pm
If you do wire up 2 coils/plugs I HIGHLY recommend these plugs..NField Gear gots em and .I got them for my yamaha twin recieved  lastnight put them on...WOW! SWAY COOL. ;D

Red Flashing Spark Plug Caps
Email to a Friend

1 Review(s) | Add Your Review

.$8.95
Add to Cart .Add to Wishlist| Add to Compare.Flashing cap allows you to see plug fire for a quick way to diagnose whether or not you have spark. Also lookse pretty cool at night!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:26:28 pm by mikail gransee »
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: April 20, 2011, 10:22:58 pm
funny i was just thinking of those for night riding,,,
Oh Magoo you done it again

elmagnifico

• Scooter
Reply #40 on: April 21, 2011, 03:03:16 am
I had a friend who had a clear distributor cap on his baja bug. It was pretty cool but you had to look pretty close to see it flashing. I found a pair of old caps at a swap meet along with some cloth covered primary wire. they look great.
2003 bullet deluxe

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #41 on: April 21, 2011, 03:39:34 am
20 years ago I ran a set of these until one of them broke. Might still have the other one around here somewhere. Hmmm...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: April 21, 2011, 06:33:08 pm
        I don't understand your question or more accurately your assumption. there wouldn't be a reason to run dual coils or a dual output coil on a single plug enfield.           If they know engines they wont have to ask.

Well, YES. That's EXACTLY my point & why I asked the original question in answer to the original poster in the FIRST place. Which was:

Why would someone want to put TWO coils on an engine with ONE plug?

Go back to the FIRST post in this thread. *I* wasn't the one who wanted to DO it. I was answering the first posters question.

And yes, I DO know engines & I'm NOT the one here who wants to run a fake coil or put two coils on to fire one plug.  I didn't start this frigging thread.

Fergod'ssake, make this stop.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #43 on: April 21, 2011, 06:49:35 pm
What? I assumed the question was for a dual plug head or an old twin cylinder machine. If not then it gets my vote for dumbest question. ???

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: April 21, 2011, 07:13:32 pm
that wasn't my impression at all...it sounded more to the tune of installing a second dummy coil to make it look kinda different..then after a few posts it changed to putting a secondary plug in where the decompressor use to be and try out the dual coil concept with the addition of the second plug...Some where along these lines I said "Great can't wait to see the pics".....I'm still waiting patiently for the end product.....Its all good...I think.. :P
Oh Magoo you done it again