Author Topic: two coils  (Read 6059 times)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 12:19:50 pm
BMW airheads did that in the 70's-80's.  Looked real official, but I think they wee kidding themselves.
I still want to put a plug in the header, too.  Just to mess with people's heads, though.
Run what ya brung

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 02:10:56 pm
To answer the original question, wire in series
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 03:43:48 pm
2 flame fronts are faster than one. There IS a benefit to dual plugs, but I personally would not bother with my Enfield. It's like putting a roots blower on your lawnmower.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

elmagnifico

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 10:54:20 pm
thanks dogbone. 6v then I would assume.  what model blower would you recommend for my lawnboy.  :D
2003 bullet deluxe

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 01:13:22 am
Dyer 4-71 street series is cheaper.  But a Paxton belt drive supercharger would look cooler. ;)
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 01:52:53 am
I've allways thought a GM 2-53 or a 1-71 unit would be a good choice for a half acre or less.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 03:03:33 pm
#1 The paxton is easier to mount
I just purchased a coil from itchcock's. small, dual, reasonable price   2 are always better than one. I like my bike on the rich side, although it never fouled a plug, combustion efficiency is the key.
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 03:37:29 pm
elmagnifico: can't wait for the pics when u done... ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 05:26:36 pm
If you are going for looks...just install a dummy one and wire it to nothing. I remember when six packs were popular on muscle cars...(3 dual carb) and we would take a can and mount a filter on it for "looks".  ;D I was thinkin of wireing a second plug on my '99 put it in the exhaust pipe with a propane line and
 bottle....instant flame thrower....  8)  :o

Yeah. That's the ticket. Install a dummy. Like the fake kickstarters they sell now for electric-start-only harleys. Or a wing for the trunk of that crapbox little rolling boombox. 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 05:35:18 pm
The reason people run dual coils on a Harley is the "wasted spark" of a single coil firing on the exhaust stroke sometimes ignites left over mixture. This causes rough running on single coil bikes. I know, how can you tell when a Harley is running rough? ;D

They switched to one coil for each cylinder when they went to fuel injection.

You also have to install a single fire ignition system.

And I still don't understand, after reading all these posts, why someone would want to have two coils on a single cylinder engine. Just for "looks"? What if someone who knows engines asks "What's the second coil for"?

At least there's a "Reason" to do it on a harley.

Isn't two coils on an Enfield sorta like tits on a suitcase?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 06:04:02 pm
Dual plugged heads have a reason, and even if its an 8 cylinder dragster it's still 8 singles (Enfields with dual plugs) in a v-row. With the faster flame front you can now run less advance...blah blah etc. Like I said , similar to a blown push mower. Now about that suitcase, is it for sale?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 08:39:54 pm
Dual plugged heads have a reason, and even if its an 8 cylinder dragster it's still 8 singles (Enfields with dual plugs) in a v-row. With the faster flame front you can now run less advance...blah blah etc. Like I said , similar to a blown push mower. Now about that suitcase, is it for sale?

My problem wasn't with dual-plugging. I totally understand dual-plugging and, of course, there's a reason for dual-plugging.

My discussion (if you go actually read what I said) was about this:

Why dual COILS on a single plugged, all stock Enfield?

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 08:55:13 pm
             Why dual COILS on a single plugged, all stock Enfield?
To fire 2 plugs? Actually..You wrote " why 2 coils on a single cylinder engine" . It's common to put one in the decompressor hole.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:58:48 pm by cyrusb »

elmagnifico

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: April 18, 2011, 10:34:52 pm
the reason I want to use two coils is I have not found a suitable dual output coil. there are many out there but not with the look I want. The "look" is not 100% formed in my mind but I will know it when I see it. The twin plug decision has already been made. It is just a matter of execution.  If performance was my priority the Enfield probably would not be for me.           p.s.    will the suitcases be on nfield gear?  Ill take two. ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:56:27 am by elmagnifico »
2003 bullet deluxe

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #29 on: April 19, 2011, 02:25:56 am
Power Arc coil on the right.
No matter where you go, there, you are.