Author Topic: Worrying metal bits on drain plug  (Read 16679 times)

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: April 15, 2011, 12:36:35 pm
Will, if you're only a couple of weeks into the parts only warranty you may get away with a 'plea' to Watsonian Squire.

I would e-mail the pics to your dealer and copy in WS at the same time logging the fault. If your dealer can cut you some slack they'd have to clear it with WS first so you may as well communicate with both, WS may know what the damaged parts are. I did the same when I found bits of main bearing cage in drained oil (yours isn't that), I didn't get the answer I wanted but I did get a quick response.

A full engine strip is on the cards and if only the parts are covered by the warranty I'd really be tempted to do it myself (if I didn't need too many special tools).

Hope it works out ok.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #31 on: April 15, 2011, 02:09:31 pm
Thanks Rusty - brilliant idea. I've just phoned Watsonian to see if there may be some leeway on the warranty, and emailed a photo of the metal bits and the YouTube link to give an idea of the noise its making. I'm waiting for them to get back to me.
I drove in to the dealer this morning and showed them the bits and played the vid clip on my camera. They agreed it was alarming and not to ride the bike. They weren't able to give me a guess about what the bits might be, or an estimate of the time it might take to find and fix the problem. But at £30 an hour plus 20% VAT on top it aint going to be cheap.
I'm hoping Watsonian are in generous spirits ......... :-\
If not, Im still contemplating doing it myself, although slightly daunted by how long that might take - busy spell coming up at the day job!

I have forced the ridiculous notion of a second bike from my thoughts....... :-X
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 02:13:48 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 02:54:26 pm
 Contact Kevin Mahoney on here, and maybe he can help... even though he is on the other side of the pond.

Thats clearly a manufacturing defect, and you are so close to expiring..If enfield doesnt cover that, I think that says a lot about this company. :-\

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: April 15, 2011, 03:59:05 pm
Well  -  that couldn't have gone any better!

Adam from Watsonian Squire just called me back to tell me they'll be down on monday to collect the bike themselves for factory repair. As you may imagine, I'm delighted.

They have the chassis number etc and have been in contact with the dealer, so I guess they know the full history of this bike  -  not always fortunate  -  remember the sheared off brake shaft? The flew-off heatshield? The failed sprag & starter relay......?  Now this.  
Made on a Chennai friday I'll be bound.....  As I said - I always felt the engine was more clattery than it ought to be, so I'll ask them to check everything while they're about it....

I'm impressed by and grateful to WS. And likewise you guys, for support and suggestions. And thanks again Rusty  -  it simply hadn't occurred to me  ::)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:34:32 pm by WillW »

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: April 15, 2011, 04:04:39 pm
I didn't notice any change in shifting - nothing at all except the onset of the new noise. I haven't started the bike since draining the oil. Haven't refilled yet, until I know what happens next - ride to dealer / dealer collects / I do it myself / or ship to Bob... ;)

Since you have drained the oil, how about taking off the crank case covers and look at least some of the engine components.  May be there is a clue.  Take some pictures to keep a record of what you see.

Will - while I was typing you just posted that Watsonian will take care of it. That is wonderful.  (But you can still take a few pictures of inside  ;)).
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: April 15, 2011, 04:10:45 pm
That was going to be my next move Singh, but other than giving it a bit of a clean, I think I'll leave it alone. It's a relief to know it'll be in good hands soon.  :)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #36 on: April 15, 2011, 04:54:48 pm
Excellent outcome.  We will all be looking forward to the analysis.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #37 on: April 15, 2011, 06:11:15 pm
Hi y'all, 

looks a bit like the auto decompressor to me.  If it is, how it got past the plate that holds the cams in place is a bit of a mystery.

Cheers Shappers.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #38 on: April 15, 2011, 06:52:39 pm
Hi y'all, 

looks a bit like the auto decompressor to me.  If it is, how it got past the plate that holds the cams in place is a bit of a mystery.

Cheers Shappers.

Hmmmmm - I'm not seeing that - which part of the auto-decompressor? It's not the fly-weight, I don't think .... and the little doo-dad that rotates to bump the lifter doesn't look like that at all ..... The Clever Detective in my is DYIN' to find out tho .....  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #39 on: April 15, 2011, 07:00:43 pm
Contact Kevin Mahoney on here, and maybe he can help... even though he is on the other side of the pond.

Thats clearly a manufacturing defect, and you are so close to expiring..If enfield doesnt cover that, I think that says a lot about this company. :-\

I'd have to differ on that opine .... the reason being that Wills bike was probably subject to the gearbox clearance issue and was repaired (major) likely after it left the Factory. I've not seen anything come OUT of the Factory with that sort of foolishness afoot - and I've had more of those little mills apart than just about anyone on the Planet - in the USA for certain. MY guess is that something was amiss upon re-assembly from the gearbox repair. That being said, the Royal Enfield Factory most likely WILL cover the complete repair - not only to satisfy the owner - but as an investigation into that failure. The engineers at the Factory are VERY in tune to failures in the field and how they affect current production.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:31:53 pm by ScooterBob »

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: April 15, 2011, 07:27:01 pm
I do get the sense that Watsonian are very willing to stand by these bikes. They're plainly alarmed at the situation with my bike and seem keen to investigate and make it good.

Quite what is meant by "factory repair" I'm not sure. I assumed they'd have it to pieces at their place here in UK, but perhaps I'll get an exchange replacement engine from Chennai. That'll be nice. They did say, when I mentioned rider withdrawal symptoms, that they hoped it wouldn't take too long.....  :-\

Regrettably, Bob now wont be getting either a large & heavy parcel or a plane ticket - either of which would probably have been cheaper than the labour costs I thought I was going to have to pay.... ;)
.... although resulting beer outgoings may have put a strain on the coffers..... :D :o

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #41 on: April 15, 2011, 07:38:59 pm
I did a few "unrepairable" engines in the Skunk Works that required some pretty good detective work to ascertain the cause of the failure. I have a bit of a background in forensic mechanical study - having investigated accidents that have resulted in fatalities - so I know to jump in with "eyes wide open" when looking at a deal like yours, Will. It's good that Watsonian is willing to do the same for you. I look at it as a total learning experience - and one that they'll get paid for, too! That sort of knowledge is absolutely invaluable to people who deal with a product. Tell them to take photos - the Factory will want them anyway! Hahaha!

I'll just have to wait until I find another good excuse to "cross the pond" ...... Dang UTT!!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: April 15, 2011, 10:11:10 pm
well after hearing all that racket on the vid, we all had a bad feeling that something was headed south and quick...U guys should be selling hedge funds to investors.. ;D. i for one suspect that its not as bad as it seems and after careful deliberations it will be determined what course of action is required to resolve the problem...I'm wagering its under 500 quid...I'll go back to having another lemoncello now...
Oh Magoo you done it again

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #43 on: April 15, 2011, 10:46:46 pm
It's really amazing the amount of internal carnage that these little engines will tolerate and still run ..... I've seen some doozy's

YJake

• Scooter
  • Exploring the Sunshine State
Reply #44 on: April 16, 2011, 02:12:44 am
This seems to run parallel to an experience I recently had...

Upon leaving a fast food joint 2 weeks ago I kicked the bike and it made a terrible "clackity clackity clack!" while idling. I was in a hurry and needed to get to work so I thundered off into the road and upon stopping at a red light less than 2 miles later the noise was gone.

Fastforward to a day ago.

I do my oil change a little past a thousand miles since initial break-in and there are metal chunks in the screen filter. And I mean small pieces you can pick up and feel not flakes. Nothing compared to your bike of course, but larger than what I had seen during initial break-in changes.

I have ridden over 500miles since the "clackity clack!" experience 100 being on this oil change with no visible issues. My bike always has had somewhat of a "clack" to the engine (Which I assumed to be normal) but it seems to be running better and quieter now than ever before. The idle seems faster than upon purchase but nothing else...(I took the exhaust off and may have a leak from reassembly)

In summary.
-"CLACKITY CLACK" noise there then gone 1-2 miles down road.
-Metal tid-bits in oil screen filter during change.
-Nothing else unusual since and running better than ever.

Should I be worried?

Sorry to steal the thread but this has got me thinking., I may just be over-thinking things, but his bike is my daily commuter and main mode of transportation. :-\

-Jake

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost..."

2010 Royal Enfield G5

1973 Honda CL125