Author Topic: Worrying metal bits on drain plug  (Read 16841 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 10:22:53 pm
Boy - I THOUGHT about that - but without the rat-trap spring on the shifter thingy, the pedal would be limp as a rag and wouldn't return ..... You are thinking like me, tho .... Must be the Celtic genius in us .... Heeheehee!  ;) I swear I took the engine apart in my mind twice whilst looking at the parts illustrations - and could not fathom where that diabolical crap came from ...... I MUST know now .... I must, I must!!

Dab Nabbit !!!!!  Will , rip that sucker apart already...... will ya ? :D Or Scooterbob could perhaps use a UK holiday?....    Might be cheaper for ya? ::)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 10:33:48 pm

Dab Nabbit !!!!!  Will , rip that sucker apart already...... will ya ? :D Or Scooterbob could perhaps use a UK holiday?....    Might be cheaper for ya? ::)

Oh! - I could only HOPE!! Hahahaha!  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

holodeck

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 10:38:48 pm
Scooter Bob,
I don't have the slightest idea what you guys are talking about but is sure is good to have you back on the forum.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 10:47:45 pm
Ha Ha, I appreciate the detective work fellas. I was turning the motor over with the rocker covers off earlier and everything was doing what it ought to. Whatever is busted in there hasn't fallen completely apart yet - I was thundering about on her just yesterday and apart from that ticking and a bit of backfiring all seemed well. I'm half tempted to ride (slowly mind) the thirty miles to the dealer - they charge £50 to send the pick-up out!
I'm also half tempted to open it up myself, though it would take me a bit longer than you pros I think  -  last engine I had completely to bits was a 1936 Morris 8 I restored in 1971!  But I'm thinking warranty  -  at least the parts are covered.
It's night here so I can't phone the dealer until tomorrow, but I doubt they'll be able to do anything until after the weekend.
I do have a little bit of money coming - my dear old dad died a few weeks ago - so I'll be able to pay the repair bill. I'll even be able to pay off the credit card I bought the bike with....  or Bob's air fare, and let's get the bloody job done proper..... ;)

but I must stop oggling that Kawa........
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 11:24:00 pm
Scooter Bob,
I don't have the slightest idea what you guys are talking about but is sure is good to have you back on the forum.

Broke Enfields - What else?? Hahaha!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 12:05:35 am
willw: so the bike isn't 2 yrs old yet...how many miles on it? what brrand and weight of oil do u use? would u say u drive aggressive or putz along most of the time?  how many miles since the last oil change and this happenng?  starnge to see such a new machine lose it like that...
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 12:40:43 am
starnge to see such a new machine lose it like that...

Search the web.  There are catastrophic destruction on young specimens of every model.  Ducatis have a nasty tendency for large bumps in the road to crack the engine block and it's usually not covered by warranty, even on new bikes.  Rare but it happens.

I'll be watching with interest.  Will, I hope you haven't found a new Achille's heel that triggers a recal for all of us and I hope your on the road again soon.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 12:57:03 am
Will:

That is not a good thing to have such pieces falling out of engine, needs to go back to dealer :(.

It reminds me of what SSR had said in your other thread that these Bullets are capable of running even at thier death beds with missing parts !  Did you start after changing the oil and does it still run at all ?
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 01:09:27 am
Search the web.  There are catastrophic destruction on young specimens of every model.  Ducatis have a nasty tendency for large bumps in the road to crack the engine block and it's usually not covered by warranty, even on new bikes.  Rare but it happens.

I'll be watching with interest.  Will, I hope you haven't found a new Achille's heel that triggers a recal for all of us and I hope your on the road again soon.

Scott

I don't know - but I'd guess with the age of Will's machine that the sheet in the oil was the RESULT of the recall and the ham-fisted MOH-Kanik that did it .... I ain't sayin' - I'm just sayin' ....... Been there, Seen that .... got the pictures to prove it .... I was to ld not to wheelie MY Doo-Katty for just the same reason .... apparently the engine mounting points are made of the same Flimsium Materail that a lot of the REST of the bike is made from .....  ::)

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 01:19:34 am
How about a piece of mangled bearging cage?

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 15, 2011, 02:14:06 am
Now you've got me guessing and the suspense is killing me!  I'm going out on a limb and my guess now is oil pump self-destruction.  Bits are internals of the oil pump and the noise is valve lifters not doing their job due to low/no oil pressure.   ??? Wild guessing but I wanted to get my guess on record.  ::)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: April 15, 2011, 02:36:09 am
My guess ...chunk of clutch spring that travelled in the oil and took out a chunk of and a valve retainer?  Exhaust side maybe..weakening of the sprink would cause the backfire and noise of it slapping around.
#5 pg 44.
# 6+7 pg 34.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 02:41:04 am by Desi Bike »
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #27 on: April 15, 2011, 03:14:21 am
Boy - I THOUGHT about that - but without the rat-trap spring on the shifter thingy, the pedal would be limp as a rag and wouldn't return ..... You are thinking like me, tho .... Must be the Celtic genius in us .... Heeheehee!  ;) I swear I took the engine apart in my mind twice whilst looking at the parts illustrations - and could not fathom where that diabolical crap came from ...... I MUST know now .... I must, I must!!
Well maybe not. If that (relatively big-looking) spring was now hitting a part of the engine casing, it still may provide some tension. That part (there is a better shot of it on page 48, #1) is the one I would have guessed as well. The break looks consistent with that sort of bend, and its the only bent piece that I could see.. maybe it wasnt bent properly during production (Ie bent cold) and started its life with a small fracture.

Did you ever notice a difference in shifting?

As for the 1/2 circle bit, I have no idea. Did you find the other half? Maybe the other half is that shredded up bits all over your magnet. That looks like a lot of metal there. Maybe your gears chewed it up?! :)

BTW, is it feasible for parts this large to make their way from all the way up in the rocker cover area to the bottom of the engine? I dont really see any large areas for them to pass down..

Being detective is fun! I'm excited to know what these parts actually are.

Does USA have that same warranty?! 1 year labor sucks!!

Sorry to hear about your dad.. my condolences.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:18:00 am by Sub »

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #28 on: April 15, 2011, 08:43:59 am
I bought the bike new on March 27th 2010. Now almost 7500 miles. Oil change every 2000 miles. Silkolene 15w-50 fully synth after break-in. I never ride hard up through the gears but I do cruise at 60 to 70. I've done 80 a couple times for less than a minute.

I didn't notice any change in shifting - nothing at all except the onset of the new noise. I haven't started the bike since draining the oil. Haven't refilled yet, until I know what happens next - ride to dealer / dealer collects / I do it myself / or ship to Bob... ;)

I strongly suspect this is due to a fault which has been there from new. I mentioned the bit of metal I found (then lost) at the very first oil change, and this engine has always been more rackety than the three other new Enfields I've heard.

If only I'd discovered this just two and a half weeks ago I'd still be in the first year of warranty - parts and labour......!

Plenty of good guesses from you guys as to what the offending bits of shrapnel might be. I just don't have a clue, but I'm really curious to find out. I haven't found the other half of the round bit - it may be lying in there or it may be all that metal dust!

I'm a bit concerned about how much hourly-rate detective work it'll take to find the cause, then a possible long wait for parts. Still tempted to do it myself as a project - and so I know it's been done right!  Alternatively, ship the whole engine in to Scooter Bob to mend. What's the rate down your way Bob?

In either case, I am starting to wonder (God help me) about taking the plunge on a second bike - partly because I'm now hooked and don't want to be without my ride possibly for weeks, and partly beacause I'm wanting to do some long trips, and this disaster has got me wondering whether a beefier machine might be a better option than just putting the 18 tooth sprocket on the Enfield. Seems I didn't get one of the tough ones - maybe even the friday bike......!

Thanks for your condolences Sub. We'll miss him of course, but he was very old and not very well, and had been wanting to go for a while.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:10:17 am by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #29 on: April 15, 2011, 12:34:45 pm
How about a piece of mangled bearging cage?

I gave that some thought - The little piece looks "thick", though ......