Author Topic: Worrying metal bits on drain plug  (Read 16683 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: April 14, 2011, 05:19:17 pm
A lot of metal on the drain plug magnet when I drianed the oil - both the main plug and the one with the filter.
These metal bits were stuck to the drain plug magnet too. The broken round thing is just under 1cm across.
Considering the noises coming from my engine, this is a worrying discovery..... :-\

2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 05:30:58 pm
wow.. yeah i be worried and be getting it to the dealer ( didn't u have something left on your warranty)...How do u feel about dealer support where u purchased the bike?
Oh Magoo you done it again

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:43:49 pm
I'm into year two of the warranty - which apparently covers parts but not labour!
The dealer's been good so far - couple of minor warranty issues and the sprag clutch. I know they're new to RE (mine was one of the first they sold) and previously dealt only in cars. BUT they do have a workshop and a motorbike mechanic, so fingers crossed.

.....but I wish Scooter Bob was just down the road..... :-\

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 05:57:10 pm
The boogered bit on the left worries me ... I swear I've seen that part in it's non mangles form somewhere - but a check of the parts pictures doesn't come up with anything that jumps out at me ..... I'd be taking that little mill apart to see what's broken in it - and right away. That sort of "junque" on the magnets is bad, bad, BAD! Wow ...... !
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 06:09:34 pm
Yeah it doesn't look good. I remember the very first time I changed the oil there was a little tiny bit of what seemd to be hollow pin - about 1.5mm in diameter and 5mm long, broken off something longer by the look of it. I intended to keep it to show the dealer, but dropped it and of course it vanished into the next dimension....
Subsequent oil changes have just shown a bit of metal dust on the magnets.
I guess I'll call tomorrow and see if they'll come and pick it up - I'm not really inclined to ride it, even slowly, now I know something is busted in there!
I am tempted to pull it apart myself, but it is still under warranty (albeit 2nd year) and I expect I'd find myself short of one or two vital tools...
Either way, looks like a big hit on the wallet!
Bugger it!  Just as summer is rolling in...... :(

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 06:32:05 pm
I'm with you.  Don't ride it and talk to the dealer.  Bring the parts down, they might know what they are and be able to give you a better prognosis.  If not, ask what the first move is and how much it's likely to cost.  I do remember one poster saying that it was a remarkably short time it took hime to get the UCE engine out of the bike, on the bench, and have the piston and cylinder out.  It's a simple engine, it comes apart fast.

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 06:56:18 pm
Dang, that looks double plus ungood to me, I hope it isn't to horrible to fix.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 07:08:36 pm
When I saw the thread title I thought it was just another noob stressing out over a little bit of magnetic shavings.

Uh, that picture makes it clear that something is amiss, especially if this is not the first time you have changed the oil. 

Get thee to a dealer, now! 

Good luck and please let us know what is discovered.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 07:44:36 pm
I'm gonna take a guess.

Given your noises from the valve train on the exhaust side, and the looks of that round part, I would venture a guess that you have a failed hydraulic lifter on the exhaust side.

I'm not sure what that L-shaped broken part is, but the thing that looks like a broken-in-half washer could be part of the internals of a hydraulic lifter.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 08:04:21 pm
You may be right. The other bit is just a fragment - something in there is mangled. Whatever is wrong in there wasn't yet affecting the running - apart from the noise of course, although there was a bit more backfiring than usual. Probably just as well it's been discovered before something more drastic happened.....

....now I wish I would stop eyeing up that Kawasaki W650 I saw for sale the other day......... :-\ ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 08:08:25 pm by WillW »

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 08:35:43 pm
I feel bad about worrying about my light metal flakes now. :)

Its dealer time my friend.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 09:42:48 pm
I'm gonna take a guess.

Given your noises from the valve train on the exhaust side, and the looks of that round part, I would venture a guess that you have a failed hydraulic lifter on the exhaust side.

I'm not sure what that L-shaped broken part is, but the thing that looks like a broken-in-half washer could be part of the internals of a hydraulic lifter.

ACE - There ain't no parts like that in the lifter at all ... I looked and racked my brain to see what in the Wide, Wide World of Sports that little mangled bit could be - I'm stumped. I'm SURE that careful disassembly of the engine with eyes wide open would find it .... THAT sort of thing bugs the living crap out of me - like the engine that "ate" the e-clip off the airbox cover latch ..... I was lucky enough to find two bits of the e-clip that were identifiable after comparing them to a whole one and VOILA! - mystery solved. Will's engine is ticking bomb with THAT kind of shrapnel in it ....

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 09:46:47 pm
I'm with you.  Don't ride it and talk to the dealer.  Bring the parts down, they might know what they are and be able to give you a better prognosis.  If not, ask what the first move is and how much it's likely to cost.  I do remember one poster saying that it was a remarkably short time it took hime to get the UCE engine out of the bike, on the bench, and have the piston and cylinder out.  It's a simple engine, it comes apart fast.

Scott

I could get the engine out of the bike, replace the gears in the transmission and have it back in less than five hours with no assistance ..... Looking for the "mystery bits" may take a little longer - but I'm betting that something of that nature would be pretty darn obvious, once the cases are separated ..... I love detective work .... I wish I was in the UK - Will would be buying the beer and crying softly as I wrenched! Hahahaha!  ;) .......  ;D ;D

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 10:04:07 pm
 Here is a shot in the dark...But.....Scooterbob. Take a look at item 50, on page 22. Rocker shaft assembly.. ...see that piece on top? looks similar to what will has posted up on the left. You know , like it might be that piece broken off # 50 ?  The hooked piece by the opening?

http://www.royalenfieldlesite.com/spip/IMG/pdf/bullet_classic_c5.pdf
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:11:38 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 10:09:42 pm
Here is a shot in the dark...But.....Scooterbob. Take a look at item 50, on page 22. Rocker shaft assembly.. ...see that piece on top? looks similar to what will has posted up on the left.

http://www.royalenfieldlesite.com/spip/IMG/pdf/bullet_classic_c5.pdf

Boy - I THOUGHT about that - but without the rat-trap spring on the shifter thingy, the pedal would be limp as a rag and wouldn't return ..... You are thinking like me, tho .... Must be the Celtic genius in us .... Heeheehee!  ;) I swear I took the engine apart in my mind twice whilst looking at the parts illustrations - and could not fathom where that diabolical crap came from ...... I MUST know now .... I must, I must!!