Author Topic: $@#*$!! Cylinder head won't come off...  (Read 13086 times)

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 09:28:13 am
Maybe opening out the top of the head holes may stop it doing it again.

You know kind of countersinking the tops.   Or drill out the very top of the hole to a larger size?   Ive not experienced it yet.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 09:15:45 pm
I know well of the problem......confirmed by the presence of hardened washers in the catalog from Minn...........I'd say wedges are the best bet but haven't tried it yet.  I don't know why you'd have to take head off any way........Maple , oak or a good hardwood wedges are reccommended.    I tried to take head off for different reason which I'm not going to pass on........dumbhead is really why......If I ever get them off I'll write it up.......cheap India steel...........dg

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 02:09:20 am
Wow--what did he say?   "cheap India steel"  I know what you mean, you may have opened a new thread here with that comment.

I do agree though for this reason I never use a torque wrench --dont have one anyway,--- at 7:1 compression ratio you don't need to heave them down.

OleO

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 03:31:43 am

Just popped the head off my '06 500 Bullet Military the other night.
The manual said to tap upward in the intake and exhaust ports with
a piece of wood and a mallet. Worked for me. Used an old windshield
squeegee handle. Wiggled the head 'til the aluminum bracket that held
on the head broke. The remaining ferrule on that end served as a point
to strike what, in essence, was a 12 inch, hard, wooden dowel with a nice
rounded end opposite the ferrule end. Upward taps, alternating
between ports so as to not cock the head, broke the head free
and allowed me to work it up the studs. After it came up from the
cylinder a bit, I just grabbed it and pulled upward while wiggling
the head from side to side. Went well. I had heard the horror stories,
so I don't know if I got lucky or just did the right thing.
'06, Iron Barrel Military...rode 'er like
she was meant to be rid. Hope to, again.

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 10:21:20 pm
The problem as stated should never happen.....Hey guys, we bought into a bike made in India,,,,,,,what do we expect.     Now that THEY know of the problem,,,,,,,,,,THEY should render a FIX.   This never happened on a Jap bike that I know of .........dg

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 04:21:22 am
I gotta jump in here.

Recently had my RE head off for gasket leak repair. I have personally removed that head four times in about 18 months.

I have replaced the studs nuts and washers and tried solid copper and stock gaskets. During these attempted "repairs" I have felt something "stretch" (head stud? crankcase threads?) and I have snapped off a head stud.

A dealer in Salem suggested 165 inch lbs for your final head torque. I have now done this and used a thin layer of medium weight TiteSeal for the gasket sealant. I have put about 100 miles on the bike since doing this and (wait a minute...knock on wood) I have no visible leaks after fighting them for most of the 4,300+ miles I have on the bike.

This seems to work for me. Now why, when the manuals and the forums all confer with the 285 inch lb (23.75 ft lbs) torque setting for head nuts, would I go along with 165 inch lbs.?

Well, quite a few folks that have had problems have actually pulled the studs out of the crankcase. Many complain that the Indian alloy used is rather like swiss cheese. I myself have had one stud stretch (or was it actually the crankcase threads?) And at 230 inch lbs I have had a hardened stud snap (a fluke?).

The 285 in lb torque is based on the stud and the strength of the steel in that stud. It is not based upon the medium into which the stud is seated, namely, the ALUMINUM crankcase. If the stud were seated in an equally rated metal like a cast iron or steel, well then, okay. But I don't believe that to be the case as indicated by my, so far, personal success (not to mention the dealer's multiple success with this method).

Just my two cents.

I have been meaning to send in my sequel under the tech section ("About to begin head...") but I've been out riding and not felt much like reliving the story,.. yet :O)

Gotta go, supper's on.

-Jesse, always stop for pie and coffee.
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 06:38:41 am
I try to avoid these but I think there may be another side to this. I read an ex cellant ex plation a while back but didn't save it to file. This is from memory so here goes...

the torque spec hasn't changed in years but...
the threads have. The old torque spec was wrote for the the old whitworth threads which were thicker and stronger than today's... 
(I'm just a wrencher and try to leave the brainpower out of it)
so a valid torque value for the head would be 20 or 21 by today's thread strength;
or something like that. in other words; today's threads are weaker and cannot stand the old (and still listed) torque setting.
Just another point of view, hoping somebody remembers this  - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

taildraggin

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 11:54:31 am
I've always used the starter (kick or elec) to pop heads loose on cars and bikes.
1977 HD XLCR
1937 HD ULH
Diesel Enfield abirthing from a 2004 Sixty-5

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 12:42:49 pm
You are trying to get the head off a car with Battery still connected the plug wires still on and the fuel lines,  throttle linkage etc??

I suppose this is not a belt driven cam engine then?

taildraggin

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 02:14:01 pm
Clamp:

Now that you mention it, I have not done it with an OHC engine.  I don't believe it would matter though, as long as you leave the cam chain/belt on.  It only breaks the seal and lifts the head a fraction.

You would have to be careful with a 'interference' motor - you wouldn't want to crank it with the cam chain/belt off, though I'm sure smacking the valve with the piston would break the seal, too.

I don't own any vehicles with overhead cams, all pushrod stuff (overhead cams are the signature of moral weakness and a corrupt society).  The MG Midget needs a new head gasket every other oil change; I've gotten it down to about a 1/2 hour job.  I don't bother removing the carb or linkage, just exhaust header needs removal.  Head nuts off, crank to break seal, lift off head, scrape and replace.
1977 HD XLCR
1937 HD ULH

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 02:24:35 pm
Tut Tut ,--Im a Brit --if you got a single carb on your MG Midget you aint got the original engine,--you got the Morris 1000.

1/2 hour is why you have to keep doing it. Clean it better .   At 1/2 hour you don't re set the tappets iether.

Ive never had a prob removing a head on any engine and I used to do it for a living.

taildraggin

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: November 07, 2008, 09:17:07 pm
You're a better man than I.

It's a Series A, 1275, Vizard job: putting out about 95hp.  Port and polish, high comp hepolites, copper head gasket, copperkote, with aftermarket (hardened) studs, 5:1 roller rockers, single SU HIF6 (webers a pain on the street) on a nice manifold, ceramic covered 3-2-1 exhaust, and a 'pretty hot' street cam.  It lives on avgas (leaded blue 100LL).  It breaks through between cyls 3-4 where the bores almost touch.  Pretty common on these motors.  Have to redo the valves every 9-10k miles, anyway.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 09:21:32 pm by taildraggin »
1977 HD XLCR
1937 HD ULH

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: November 08, 2008, 03:00:28 am
The Mg midget should be twin SU,  1 1/4 I think.

If it breaks through between 3/4 why doesnt it break through 1/2?

You need to  re-surface the block or head.

Try laying a 1mm copper wire around  around all the cylinders.

Pull some copper wire out of some old household wiring, about 1mm is enough.

Just twist lightly in a ring and lay on top of the gasket.   Dont use silicone use shilac.   You could also try another type of Gasket

taildraggin

• Bulleteer
Reply #28 on: November 08, 2008, 02:05:13 pm
Yes, the SU 11/4s" were stock.  I have them on the original head in the garage.

It leaks between 3&4 because it's a bad design.  Doubling the power of the engine has done nothing to improve it. 

The gap between the cyls. is about 1/8"(!) and engines generally move more toward the tranny (load) end of the motor.  (It's pretty common for these heads to crack in the ports, too.)  May be a head bolt pattern problem, too - who knows? 

It was carefully decked and is plate glass flat - a friend has a race shop that has evolved over 30 years from building road racers (touring cars) to 'classic' race car restoration shop.  (Basically, he's been working on the same cars since they were new.)  The stock gaskets get a "20/20 warranty - 20 minutes or 20 miles" on these engines.  The non-standard copper gaskets give it some duration, much like the wire you describe, they are soft and seal pretty well, but only hold out for 4-5k miles.

Usually, something else goes out around that time, so it's a routine process.  It's stripped out to below 1300lbs, so it goes pretty nicely.  After a T120R, it has been the perfect primer for the Enfield. ::)
1977 HD XLCR
1937 HD ULH

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: November 09, 2008, 04:26:58 am
Its amazing how moving a car over the pond can bring out amazing failures never heard of in UK.
       These cars went for years and years. the Morris 1000 was a very reliable engine, but your is bored to 1275 like the mini cooper, all the A series were based on that motor.

I dont know what you mean about the power being towards the back of the engine and therefore blowing gaskets?????

Bad design , cracking heads, head bolt problem?????????