Author Topic: Won't start with choke/enricher on...  (Read 2657 times)

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 12, 2011, 07:13:24 pm
Like it says above, when i try and kick the bike over with the enricher on, it won't start.  When i try it with the enricher off it goes first or second kick every time.  Could this be due to a dirty spark plug?  Any ideas?  I haven't cleaned out the float bowl yet, and done no carb clean in the 950 miles i've had the bike.  Also, as posted about in another thread, i may have a weak battery due to no tender.  Shortly remedying that situation...

thanks in advance,

chuck

Rosetap

• Bulleteer
  • Credit Card? You got it.
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 08:15:32 pm
If it starts with the enricher off, you don't need to be using it.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 08:18:39 pm
Thanks, i realize that.  Just questioning if it could be the development of another issue.  It also could be that it's now sometimes 70 or 80 degrees F in the afternoon as opposed to the 40 degrees of a few months ago.  Guess some part of me just likes to understand Why things work or don't.  Is it normal for a bike to not start up with enricher on, but be fine without it?

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 08:40:11 pm
Let about 5 pounds of air out of each tire and then it will start eith the enricher on.
During warmer weather, ;owering the elevation increases the air pressure forcing more gas into your header after -no wait... More air pressure condenses the gas so it's harder to burn because the spark can't get in there easily enough.  Sort of like trying to light a briquette vs a handfull of straw.   The straw lights right up.   These bikes are very sensitive to elevation changes.   You should see how fast mine is when I go downhill- more air pressure down there.
Run what ya brung

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 09:24:00 pm
Chuck -

No worries, mate...  my iron-lung won't even fire with the enricher on... ever!

I use it to "prime" the motor when its really cold... three strokes with the enricher down, decompressor on and spark off.  Open enricher, spark on, one good stroke... thump thump... darn near every time... ::)  Only needed in air temps around freezing - otherwise, never use it at all.

Mike and S&S in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 09:51:58 pm
Cool thanks guys, good to know my bike's good to go.  And uncle E, my AVL  experiences that same phenomenon of going faster down a hill than it goes up one.  I thought that was physics or something, turns out it's just enfield magic  ;D

Michael Marsceill

• Scooter
  • 2009 AVL Deluxe
Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 12:44:00 am
Mine starts without the choke now that it's warmer. I think it's normal.