Author Topic: Can anyone identify this engine noise?  (Read 12294 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: April 13, 2011, 04:05:25 pm
Youtube is a hard way to identify sounds but have you checked for an exhaust leak at the head? My nuts have come loose twice. I mean the ones holding the pipe to the head. I would check that gasket before I tear into the engine. I like to start with the cheap fixes first. Try listening through a rubber tube. Sometimes you can locate noises that way. You can try a mechanic's stethoscope for internal noises.
Yes, I agree. It is hard to tell and check the simple stuff first. But I think I hear a sucking noise and a tinny clacking or resonance down your head pipe Will. I could be wrong, but try adjusting your fasteners on your exhaust while the bike is running and listen for a change. That sucking noise could very well be from head pipe connection. :-\
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #31 on: April 13, 2011, 06:02:20 pm
I can't make the sound change by adjusting the exhaust nuts. Youtube does degrade the already poor quality sound, but it is a tick rather than a hiss.
Damned if I can locate it precisely by listening through spoon handle etc - I certainly get a definite clacking coming from the front rocker cover, but that may be just the normal clatter. It's definitely louder than the rear cover. These sounds overwhelm the much higher frequency ticking sound when listening through a handle or tube. But I would say it's coming from nearer the top than the bottom.
I ran the engine in the garage for fifteen minutes, but it wasn't as hot as yesterday. The sound appears after a few minutes, and occasionally disappears for a few beats. It increases as the engine gets hot on a run.
Cold and raining here, and getting dark.  Back on the job tomorrow..... :-\
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 04:31:59 am
My money is that it's a stuck or bad valve lifter.  I know it's a totally different engine design so my experience may not be relevant but-  I had a mazda miata that had hydrolic valve lifters that would make a clackity noise that went in time to the engine revs.  The noise would especially show up when it was cold and would intermittently go away or come back but more often would dissappear after it warmed up- but it was definately  an all or nothing thing, and quite loud.  It's something they're known for and I was told it's not a big deal (with the mazda anyway).  I switched to a different brand of oil and lighter weight and that cured it but the noise would reappear right at 3000 miles so I just ended up using the valve lifter noise as an oil condition indicator.  Anyhow, I'm with olhogrider on starting with simple stuff.   I'd give the oil change thing a try since you were planning on that anyway.

StealthBomber

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: May 20, 2011, 01:20:12 am
@WillW

Did you ever determine what was causing you loud engine tick? My C5 is currently at the shop for a VERY similar sound, but we are still in the diagnoses phase. Any insight you could provide on your end would be very beneficial.

I am currently leaning towards:

1. bent pushrod
2. collapsed lifter
3. rocker arm/follower damage

as far as my bike goes anyways.