Author Topic: Can anyone identify this engine noise?  (Read 12279 times)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 08:15:58 pm
@ SSR
Really? Ups that´s not good. Hopefully Will has some warranty left. But isn´t it possible to get access to the cams after removing the right casing cover?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:18:48 pm by Maturin »
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 08:18:42 pm
OK I did about twenty miles. I'd say it's pretty consistent, probably louder when engine is hot. If I accelerate from 55 to 60, I seemed to think it was louder, then quieted down a bit when just cruising at that speed. But a lot of other noise at that speed - wind and goldie exhaust, so perhaps I'm mis-hearing.

Shappers - this is nothing at all like auto-decompressor sound, not even similar, and nothing to do with starting up.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 08:20:15 pm
@ Will
IIt´s analog to the revs? Faster clicking with higher revs?
2010 G5

Walter Röhrl

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 08:22:44 pm
Yes it keeps time with engine speed

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 08:29:04 pm
Ten bucks on the hydraulic lifter.
Maybe the oil level is a bit low. The lifter should have an easier job when oil level is on max. Perhaps the sound dissapears completely then, some of the aged cabs I owned had this symptom and it could be cured by keeping the oil level high.
2010 G5

Walter Röhrl

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 08:36:20 pm
@ SSR
Really? Ups that´s not good. Hopefully Will has some warranty left. But isn´t it possible to get access to the cams after removing the right casing cover?

Oh yes you can access the cams but for that you need to remove the alternator drum and a plate under that to get to the cams. After you remove the cams you can see a bit of roller too but not the top of it.

UCE works even if it has only 1 Ltr , there is plenty of oil supply to the rollers from side and from the top. Working of the roller can easily be checked by removing the rocker cover and checking the clearance between the rocker and prod with few cranks.

@Will- So you hear it constantly and more prominently when under load and eases up at constant speed right?

Makes me say it again its the rocker but what is making it do this is another story.

I think the dealer will check the push rods too!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 08:41:24 pm
Well I'm about to do the 7500 mile service, so will be changing the oil. I change oil every 2000 miles, and keep a good eye on the level, so I don't think it's been going short of oil.
I think I'll get it down to the dealer if it persists. I'm in second year of warranty so will have to pay labour costs. Ah well......

Perhaps I should ride slower......

Thank you for your input guys. It's very much appreciated.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 10:24:26 pm
I had a similar scary tapping noise and everyone here told me it was normal!? It seemed too loud to be normal. It would happen at warmup and then disappear later. I took my first ride of the season and didnt hear it..

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 10:37:28 pm
first thing i  thought of was loud tickey valve...yeah i know they use  hydraulic but that was first impression...eitherway it not a normal sound too me and i ride a iron.  time to get it checked under warranty...i'm sure u will let us know the finale..
Oh Magoo you done it again

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 11:05:06 pm
BTW, for comparison, here is my EFI cacaphony video - the awful noise starts about 1/2 way through:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40236795@N03/5218582286/

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 11:12:19 pm
Hmmm that clacking sounds unhealthy. The higher pitched ticking is similar to what I'm getting, but quieter. But apart from that it sounds like a healthy engine - less rackety than mine for sure.

It's something to do with valves I agree.. There's always a bit of racket from the engine, and I don't worry about it, but this is LOUD and has only appeared recently. It aint right so I'll see what the mechanic at the dealer has to say.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 02:07:04 am
Youtube is a hard way to identify sounds but have you checked for an exhaust leak at the head? My nuts have come loose twice. I mean the ones holding the pipe to the head. I would check that gasket before I tear into the engine. I like to start with the cheap fixes first. Try listening through a rubber tube. Sometimes you can locate noises that way. You can try a mechanic's stethoscope for internal noises.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 03:51:47 am
Will:

I like SSR and Maturin's ideas. The sound is from the rockers. How about taking off the cover to check if something has come loose ? If nothing is loose, then follow Maturin's idea that hydraulic lifters may not be doing the job of lifting the pushrods all the way up. May be the hole of the lifter is blocked or partialy blocked so that it is not completely filled with the oil. Or the lifter has gone bad. Is the engine oil fresh and clean or is it old and dirty ?

Maturin has also indicated another possibility of valve not seating properly, or it is not properly lubricated and has less than ideal movement. A few weeks back, I had noticed and posted in the Forum that when I used Lucas oil additive to my gas tank, the noise of rocker/valve train went down. I started using that more often.

Some Bullets have this sound as 'normal' to them, though yours developed recently so I can imagine that you are concerned.  
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:27:21 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #28 on: April 13, 2011, 04:17:11 am
You can identify exactly where it's coming from using a kitchen wooden spoon or ratchet as a stethascope.  Press the round end against your ear canal and press the handle against each rocker cover and then the lower side plate.  The location will be plain as day.  If there's no notable difference in sound levels check other spots.  When you get it you'll know, it will be much louder.  You can always use a real stethascope or mechanical one if you have it. 

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: April 13, 2011, 08:33:40 am
Thanks again for input chaps. Different time zones mean I'm often snoring while you guys are posting!

@Olhogrider - I had thought of the exhaust, particularly as there's been more than usual backfiring lately, although having checked those nuts at the weekend as part of the routine I'd dsimissed it. It doesn't quite sound right for that to be the cause - it's more tappy, but I know these things can fool us so I will check it out.

@ Singh - Plenty to think about there, and I will start taking bits off and investigating. The oil is less than 2000 miles old, but did sit in the bike all winter. As I said, I was about to do a thorough 7500 mile service anyway and perhaps this will reveal something - particularly as I have the 18 tooth sprocket arriving today so will have that side cover off soon! I will also check the cam gears backlash while I'm in there. I like your additive idea too - I'll see if I can find something to flush through.

@ Scott - I had tried that listening trick, but with a screwdriver. Wooden spoon is a good idea, it'll resonate better. With the screwdriver I couldn't work out whether the sound was from the top front or lower down behind the square plate on the right. Hopefully the spoon will work better.

I have to be out today but will make a start this evening and carry on tomorrow.
Thanks again all for very helpful input.

Will